Author Topic: Instant pot turkey breast  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Cheryl

Instant pot turkey breast
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
I have a turkey breast in my freezer that I want to cook and slice for sandwich meat.  I know you can cook most meats from frozen using the Instant Pot.  Have any of you tried this with a turkey breast?  Should I use the poultry setting or manual?  How long? 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Instant pot turkey breast
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Haven't tried that, sorry. I do feel like almost any meat takes longer for the level of doneness I like as opposed to when the IP guide says it will be done. However, probably the Iron Chef people would say I overcook it all, lol. But my point was that the poultry setting as may not be long enough so you may need to adjust the time. You may have already figured that out, though--just not sure how long you have been IP'ing.

Maybe you can let us know what you did after the fact?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
Here is how I ended up doing the turkey:

I put it in a sink of cold water and let it thaw about 1-1 1/2 hrs.  It was bone-in and weighed 6.70 pounds. After that time only a few ice crystals remained.  (I changed the water every 30 minutes or so.)

I seasoned it with garlic, black pepper, and Greek seasoning mix.  I added 1 cup of water to the pot, put the turkey on the trivet, and cooked on manual 60 minutes, NPR.  I checked the temp and it registered from 195-201°. 

I hope it tastes as good as it smells!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:03 AM »
Mmm--sounds delicious! How was it? Did it come out tender?

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »
It was perfect!  Falling off the bone tender.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »
It was perfect!  Falling off the bone tender.

Sounds wonderful! I was just thinking how good turkey sounds. I have never bought a turkey breast before but might have to try that.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
I have never bought a turkey breast either.

I'm conflicted on turkey. Sometimes I just don't like it and other times it is really good. I pulled out a turkey this summer and cooked it in the oven and it was delicious. I would love to try turkey breast in the IP. Cheryl, I'm so glad to hear it turned out perfectly! I read a rule of thumb that if an item is frozen it takes X amount of time more than a thawed piece of meat in the IP. I can't find that information anywhere. I'll keep looking.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
I usually don’t buy turkey breasts either, but Publix had them 99 cents per pound a few weeks ago. I bought three thinking it was better than paying more per pound for deli meat.  I will be sure to buy more if I see a good sale.

It smelled so good while cooking.  The cats could tell something good was happening. :D :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn