Author Topic: Planting garlic?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Planting garlic?
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
I'm looking at seed garlic on Azure and it costs 3 times what regular organic garlic does.  Is there any reason I can't just buy a pound of their regular organic garlic and plant that?  Organic because I figure non-treated would grow better.

Offline Rooney

Re: Planting garlic?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
I didn't know Azure even carried organic garlic seed.  I'm going to look into that.  The last time we planted organic garlic, it was just regular org. garlic from Annie's Heirlooms.  We just split the garlic and planted it.  Didn't turn out too good, I'm guessing because it was in too small container.  Garlic takes so long to grow, I can't imagine how long it would take from seed. 

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Seed garlic is still the bulbs, just specifically for planting.  Azure has it in the produce section, several varieties.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
I would try it.  I've had luck planting some we got at Sam's Club. 

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »
I would try it.  I've had luck planting some we got at Sam's Club.

Good, cause I put a pound of it on my order that I already finished up.  ;)  Thanks!

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »
It should be fine. I am on year seven or so of our garlic. It multiplies year after year.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
It should be fine. I am on year seven or so of our garlic. It multiplies year after year.

Good to know!  I have never planted it before.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »
So today there was a freebie book for kindle on planting garlic.  Great timing!  :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:22:34 AM »
I always miss the good ones! :D 

Good luck with your garlic.  I love using ours in recipes.  It tastes soooo much fresher than store bought.  When we moved to this house almost 4 years ago, I dug up my garlic patch and brought it with me.  It's the first thing I planted when we got here.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
I always miss the good ones! :D 

Good luck with your garlic.  I love using ours in recipes.  It tastes soooo much fresher than store bought.  When we moved to this house almost 4 years ago, I dug up my garlic patch and brought it with me.  It's the first thing I planted when we got here.

It's still free but it sounds like you know what you are doing and probably don't need a beginner's guide.  Here it is, though, in case:  http://www.amazon.com/Plant-Your-First-Garlic-Garden-ebook/dp/B00FVXZ57Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1382102513&sr=1-5&keywords=garlic

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Thanks! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:50 PM »
Seed garlic is still the bulbs, just specifically for planting.  Azure has it in the produce section, several varieties.
I planted a bunch of this in a plant bed with some onions and radishes yesterday.  I used the same seed garlic you did.  I bought a pound too.  What is yours looking like?  Hoping for good results this time. :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
The ones I planted a few weeks ago have a few inches of growth...they look a lot like an onion growing.  The ones I planted two weeks ago right before it snowed are not up yet.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
Ok the garlic is doing the same thing as my cauliflower.  I don't think the top of the garlic is supposed to get over 3 feet high! :o  We have had to raise the lights like 5 times.  So I pulled one up expecting it to be close to ready to harvest, but it was actually just about like it was when I planted it. :P  Is anyone else having this issue?  Again, if this isn't going to produce soon, I need to pull up the half bed of it and use the whole bed for carrots, which seem to be growing right.  Whatcha think?

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
Wow!  Mine is only 6-8 inches high.  Outside, though, not covered or anything.  I figure it will grow more as we get warmer weather.