Author Topic: Backyard project making progress  (Read 4511 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Backyard project making progress
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Thanks Jennie :)
As for the square footage it is 1440 square feet, but with incorporating vertical farming we are hoping to get more out of it.

Wow, that's bigger than my house, lol.  Looks like it will be wonderful for your family!

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
Bigger than mine too! Just amazing, would love to have that but would be wasted with my black thumb:( I cant get anything to grow and if it happens by accident the ants eat it.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
Bigger than mine too! Just amazing, would love to have that but would be wasted with my black thumb:( I cant get anything to grow and if it happens by accident the ants eat it.
You know what, when we started building it my dad laughed at us because he said it won't work because you don't have a green thumb.  We actually didn't have a thumb at all because we hadn't grown anything before by ourselves. He also thought it was silly because DH had never constructed a building like that before, but once it was here someone had to put it together, so he learned.  I think when necessity makes it where you need to learn to do something, you find a way to figure it out no matter what. ;) I had to laugh when you said grow something accidently because I accidently dropped a lettuce seed in the carrot bed and now it is about 12" across.  They seem to grow bigger for me by accident. :)

Picture below is the tomato "bush" (we haven't staked them yet and it hasn't been quite warm enough for long enough to set fruit) and the other is the lettuce I accidently planted. :)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
Those lush green plants have me itching to plant!  I have quite a few plants ready to go out the 15th but am not trusting the weather.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
We just got the first aquaponics bed ready to hold fish. FINALLY!!!!!!! You have to leave the "test" fish in there for 2 weeks prior to adding the rest of the fish and planting in the top part of the bed.  The PH and other levels are established during this 2 weeks.  The pictures below kind of give you an idea of how the setup is going to work.  Next time I will post them with the vegetables growing in the top.

Picture #1 is the whole bed with the submersible pump running.

Picture #2 is the media (clay pebble) that the plants will grow in.

Picture #3 is the bottom part of the tank that the fish will be in.

Picture #4 is one of the 5 block beds getting ready to be filled with dirt and transplanted starts.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
Lindsay, it's exciting to watch your progress! Great job!!  :)

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!