Author Topic: Tuesday, September 11, 2018  (Read 1565 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Tuesday, September 11, 2018
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
Good morning!

Pam, just saw your post this morning (from yesterday) but figured I should start a new thread rather than replying there.

So hard to believe that it has been 17 years since 9/11. Earl had flown out very early that morning to the National Training Camp in California for a month, and I was running late to work, having to drop Maddy off at the sitter first. This was days before Maddy's 1st birthday. I knew something was up when I went into work and the TV was on--it was only on for occasional important stuff and usually later in the day if at all. Such a scary and stressful time nationwide. So many more deployments for so many families. Anyway, just reflecting over my coffee this morning.

Went kayaking with 4 friends yesterday. We had a cold front come through and actually have had lows in the 60's in the mornings for the first time in months. Feels wonderful! Highs have only been in the 80's the past few days. Even with 100% humidity that has felt so much better than 112 or even 98! Anyway, due to high winds on days I was available, I hadn't been kayaking for a month, since the first day of school, so it was great to get out! Today, I need to get lots done at home, but I plan on a nice hike tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is either Cashew Chicken or Mushroom Chicken. Leaning toward Mushroom Chicken as it would use up some zucchini and mushrooms I have. Of course, Earl and I would probably need to eat ours over riced cauliflower. We are working hard together on losing weight. He has taken off about 7.5 lbs so far and I've lost 4.1. It's a start.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Catherine

Offline Cheryl

Re: Tuesday, September 11, 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:27:31 AM »
Good morning!

Yes, it’s hard to believe it’s been 17 years since 9/11.  I can remember that day, how the sky was such an incredible shade of blue.  I heard the news on the radio after I dropped Lana off at school and was headed to town on some errand.  By the time I got to town, lines were already forming at the gas stations and I had to buy gas.  I didn’t have the money to fill my tank, but got a few dollars worth and went back home to watch the news.

I got up at 4 this morning, but went back to bed.  I ended up sleeping way longer than I intended, so I will probably feel half a step behind all day.

We have been busy doing a lot of little things in the house.  We don’t have the funds to tackle the big projects, so we’re making a difference with the things we can do at the moment. 

We decluttered a lot of stuff from the bathroom, things like frayed towels and wash cloths, toothbrush holder and soap dispenser we no longer wanted, curtains we didn’t need, etc.  We also cleaned out the room we were using for homeschool.  Now it’s mainly used to store our pantry overflow and home canned foods.  We rearranged the canned goods and tidied up a few areas.  Like I said, we are focusing on the little things we can do now. 

I need to go get Emily started on her work then get busy myself.  Supper tonight will be leftover chili so at least I don’t have to think what to fix. 

Have a great day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
Good Morning to all,

I have also been reflecting on this day from the events all those years ago. I still think about all that happened and how our world really has changed since then.

Lots and lots going on in my world. We had some work done in our main bathroom on the main level. It is kind of like a galley bathroom so it's long and narrow. The bathtub/shower had no exhaust fan nearby and no light. There was a dim light outside the shower with the switch inside the shower (of all places). So he had a brighter light/fan combo put in the place of the dim light. We haven't used that shower in all the 5  years of living there instead opting to use the downstairs one. Finally, we got that taken care of and shower upstairs is for us.

When I took my vacation this summer, I rented a car for 5 days. A month later I got a letter from the company saying I brought back a damaged car. No way! A whole month had passed and who knows where that car was during that time to get damaged. She was going to send pictures with the bill. I asked her to describe what and where the damage was. She was rather surprised when I told her I had pictures of my own that I took at the drop off point. There is no damage when I dropped it off. Still waiting to hear from them.

My girls are both going back to school and they both are having adjustment issues. My oldest hasn't been in school for 4 years and she is working full time and in a different country and living on her own. The youngest one always has adjustment issues but now she is in another state. We just keep encouraging them because I know they both can do this.

We are also entering a time of seasonal transition. The nights are quite cool and we had a couple of cool days. This week the temps should increase a bit back into the low 80s. I am not ready for fall weather yet.

We did quite a bit of household stuff on Labor day and one of those tasks was to defrost the deep freezer. There were no surprises in there but it was pretty packed when we started. It was all put together and it is still pretty packed. I only have a few whole chickens and a few pkgs. of boneless skinless chicken thighs, ground beef and sausage and some bacon. There is one pkg of pork chops and a small beef roast. No other meat. The rest is full of vegetables, jam, flour, dumplings and my son's tortilla sandwiches he makes in bulk for his weekend work. There is some chicken stock, rhubarb, strawberries and a lot of little odds and ends. Dad gave us a lot of strawberries and green beans and I got some tomatoes from dad and a neighbor. All of those are frozen and ready to make spaghetti sauce. I could can them but I don't have pantry space for that. Our house is so tiny that all the space is used. I just can't think of anywhere that I could put that.

This past weekend I did an entire house vacuum. I don't do that every week since the three of us don't make much of a mess. The house stays rather clean with no little ones running around anymore. No toys, no newspaper, nothing. Hubby washed the bedding on Thursday and hung that out on the clothesline. I don't wash bedding every week. How about you? What is your thoughts on how often to launder the bedding?

Meals have been home cooked for the most part. We had our anniversary last week and went out for dinner only because our son doesn't do many fun things. He works 7 days a week and rarely gets to go out so  for him we had some good Mexican food. But now we're back to home made. Deep dish pizza, a really good rice, chicken zucchini stuffing casserole, homemade taquitas (these are really easy to make and freeze very well). Leftovers are gone so tonight I will have to make something. I have a few potatoes that need to be used up and a huge bowl full of tomatoes I roasted last night and got the skins removed. They are ready to freeze or be made into something.

Not much else right now. Would love to hear from EVERYONE today!

Alice

Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
Yes, I wash bedding every week. Feels gross if I don't. My younger boys, not necessarily, but mine and Earl's. The quilt less often, maybe every 3 months?