Author Topic: Monday, Oct. 1, 2018  (Read 1369 times)

Offline pamgonzo

Monday, Oct. 1, 2018
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »
Hello Ladies!
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Monday, Oct. 1, 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Hello Friends,

How was everyone's weekend?  Would love to hear what everyone was up to.

I left on Thursday to head north.  Had to meet up with hubs in the upper peninsula.  It was about a 6 hour drive.  It was a pretty nice drive.  Kind of windy in some areas, and it did rain for about an hour of the trip, but all in all it was fine. 
We went to dinner Th night at a restaurant that had just been reopened in the area.  It was really good.  It was the scene of movie filming with Jimmy Stewart back in the day.  It's part of the movie "Anatomy of a Murder". 

Friday we had all day to explore.  We went to a lookout, an overlook, and two waterfalls.  One waterfall was a short walk and several stairs, and the other one was about a mile hike out into the forest.  We had to drive about 5 five miles into the forest on two-track roads. It was challenging driving, but worth it once we got to the waterfall.  So peaceful in the woods.  We saw lots of fall foliage as well.  Really vibrant and pretty.

Saturday was the International bridge race.  I did the 5k (walking) and hubs did the 7.1 mile run.  The run went over the International Bridge to Canada and back.  It was really cold at the start of the race with a strong breeze, (about 39*) but once we got moving, it wasn't too bad.  Once the race was over, we grabbed breakfast, and then went back to the hotel to relax.  The rest of the day (that turned rainy and cold) we just kind of vegged.  Watched some football, grabbed lunch, and really just kind of relaxed.

Yesterday was the drive home.  We left there early because hubs had to be somewhere late afternoon for work.  Took us about 4 1/2 hours to get home. 
I ran to Aldi to grab a couple of things like milk, bananas and the like.  I made some soup for my dinner since hubs was working.  I think I will have it for dinner tonight as well since he will be late at work today.

I was suppose to meet up with a couple of girlfriends for lunch today, but we had to reschedule since one had a sick child.  Hoping we can reschedule soon.  So on this rainy, cold day, I am going to try to stay cozy and warm, and maybe read a book for a while. 

I need to get my warmer clothes out and organized since it looks like fall is here now.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Would love to hear what you are up to!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »
Good Morning,

I had a really nice weekend as well.

Youngest daughter and her boyfriend drove up from Dayton, OH for the weekend to do a lot of visiting with friends, ArtPrize, some research at the library in town for a few items from the Collections dept. and to grab her winter and warmer clothes.

While daughter was out alone visiting friends, her boyfriend asked her dad for her hand in marriage. I was gone visiting my parents so the opportunity arose. Wow! He will propose in a couple of weeks after he returns from a couple of weeks of travel for work. So exciting.

We had a wonderful church service with baptism and then we unexpectedly saw friends from Guatemala who were at the church as well. I haven't seen these young men in 8 years and it was a wonderful morning. Then we found out a close friend of our family passed away. 94 years old and she told me she was ready to go to heaven! I took care of her three weeks ago in her home and she shared with me a lot of things and we had such a special time together. The next day she went into hospice care and gone two weeks later.

I had a nice time with my parents on Saturday. For the first time, I heard my dad tell me that he loves it when I come over to visit him/them. And that we can harvest veggies and make cole slaw together. I haven't had much affirmation from my dad so it was a surprise. Even mom wanted me to just spend time alone with her and talk without my dad always controlling the conversation. He does that and then I don't have special moments with mom. But we did a little bit on Saturday.

I had conversation with all three of my kids this weekend, some in person and some only on whatsapp, but having connections with grown kids is very important. I want good and solid relationships and that is we intentionally work towards.

Pam, I think I also have to begin thinking about putting out the warmer clothes and putting away the summer stuff. Not liking that idea at all. We did have to put a blanket on our bed but unfortunately the electric part of the blanket doesn't seem to be working and hubby loves that. I've been looking around online a bit for a replacement but all I really see is a lot of fleece and microfiber and I just would prefer a plain blanket with duel controls. Maybe we just need to get a regular warm blanket with no electric at all. My fear is that they work for a while then quit. At least we can use the blanket for now.

So, that's my update of the weekend. Would love to hear how everyone else's weekend was.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
My weekend was uneventful, so I don’t really have much to add.  On Friday nights, Emily goes to the high school football games with my parents and sister to watch my nephew play.  We drove her to town to meet them and then picked up a pizza for our supper.  We ate while watching tv, then just sat around reading and watching tv.

Saturday morning we picked Emily up from my parents.  My mother gave me more pears for canning.  They are not quite ready to can, and truthfully I am a little relieved.  Peeling all of those pears and canning them really has my hands aching.

After getting Emily, we went to Walmart and Aldi to get a few things.  Not much, as money is tight right now with my husband being out of work two days last week due to rain and this being the week we have two big expenses to pay. 

Yesterday ended up being an at home day.  I traded my neighbor some peppers from our garden for 18 fresh eggs from her hens.  I cut up and canned the rest of my peppers.  I got 7 and 1/2 pints.

Today is our usual school work, catching up on housework, and cleaning out my refrigerator.  I can’t stand when it gets all cluttered up.  I will sit down sometime today with my freezer and pantry lists and see how many meals I can come up with based on what we have.  I know we’re low on meat, but have plenty of vegetables.

That’s about it for me.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »
Hello!

Just back from hiking, not a long one, maybe 4 miles. Hilly and rocky, though. It's crazy humid here, still at 75% after 1 PM. Though the 90's seem to have left, the humidity worsened. Though mosquitoes are awful here in town, I have never in 5+ years of hiking had a problem with them out where I hike. But THursday, we ran into some, and today far more. My sweet and quiet Vietnamese friend slapped me and said she was sorry--totally shocked me but she was killing a mosquito. :D

Have to work 9-5 tomorrow, so trying to enjoy today and need to get some things done. So far, I think I will like the job. Working 4 days this week.

Dinner tonight is salmon patties. Earl has PT for his neck so I need to pick up the younger kids from school at 3:45. Earl has his Barbershop Quartet singing group tonight later. Morgan also has a vocal music audition after school. I think that's about it for here.

Have a great week!
Catherine