Author Topic: Dining on a Dime cookbook  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Cheryl

Dining on a Dime cookbook
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
Does anybody here have the Dining on a Dime cookbook?  I have seen several recipes from it online and I was thinking about buying it.  I am trying to get away from depending on the internet for recipe inspiration.  I’m interested in any reviews of this book.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Dining on a Dime cookbook
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
I bought it, probably 7-8 years ago, then got rid of it. I think it depends a lot on how you cook/eat. At the time of ordering, I was trying to cook from scratch and eat inexpensively, which I still do, but it had a lot of stuff made from white flour, lower in protein, etc... . That's not to say all the recipes, though.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I was (still am) on the facebook page for it so it was on my mind. One day at my volunteer job, I spotted a copy of it on a book cart and asked the librarian about it. It was donated to the library and she was just looking at it before putting it in the yearly book sale books. She said I could take it home for awhile. I think it was a slightly different edition than I had owned, and I did cook one recipe out of it, the Cheeseburger Rolls (or something like that). But it was a bread recipe with a small amount of protein, and ultimately, I didn't purchase another copy after looking at it and returning it to the library.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
Hmm...think I will give it a try.  I’m going back to basics around here.  I already cook the majority of our meals from scratch and we try to do it inexpensively as well. 

I saw they are having a preorder sale on their site if anyone else is interested.  Thank you, Cathy for your thoughts. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »
Then you should go for it! I liked it better looking at it from the library then I remember liking it when I owned it. If I weren't being carb conscious I would probably have bought it again. Hope you enjoy it!

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »
Cath, hubby and I do a version of keto too.  I say a "version"  because I am sure it isn't high fat enough to enter ketosis, but it is really low carb.  Anyway, just thought I would mention that last week The Encouraging Homeschool Mom released 50 keto slow cooker and freezer meals that are easy printables.  I don't usually like her recipes. but some of these keto ones are great, especially since low carb does tend to get boring at times. :P  I will be making the stuffed pepper one sometime next week.  It looks goooood!!! Just thought I would mention her youtube site for this.

Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
Cath, hubby and I do a version of keto too.  I say a "version"  because I am sure it isn't high fat enough to enter ketosis, but it is really low carb.  Anyway, just thought I would mention that last week The Encouraging Homeschool Mom released 50 keto slow cooker and freezer meals that are easy printables.  I don't usually like her recipes. but some of these keto ones are great, especially since low carb does tend to get boring at times. :P  I will be making the stuffed pepper one sometime next week.  It looks goooood!!! Just thought I would mention her youtube site for this.

Lindsay

Same here, not really doing keto, but loosely following Trim Healthy Mama. Thanks for the suggestion; I will have to check it out.