Author Topic: Tuesday, January 22, 2019  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Tuesday, January 22, 2019
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
Good Afternoon anyone,

I've been missing for a while just doing life. January has been busy but in a good way.

I celebrated a birthday, then my husband and I took a weekend getaway to Traverse City, MI which is a wonderful summer vacation spot but we went in the middle of winter. We had a very good weekend to go and did a ton of things. Work is busy with regular year end stuff, kids are all back to where they need to be, the freezer is being used and I see the levels going down.

The weather changed from barely no snow yet this winter to a winter wonderland with very cold temps. I am thankful because winter could have started several months ago and only began mid-January. I've been needing hot soups lately and my freezer provided enough stock to make a big pot of pea soup with ring sausage and then last night was a big pot of vegetable beef pasta soup (this was a little bit of everything, more like a minestrone) and it was so good. I like soups better the next day. We had some saltines that were in the cupboard for a while but it is so easy to crisp them up in the oven and they were a delicious addition.

We're also on a low spend month and we're doing OK with that. Traverse City, mini vacation, had us buy some cherry salsa and a couple bottles of wine but it was also my birthday weekend so we needed to celebrate a little bit. We live close to our "big" city so we also went out to visit a market this weekend and purchased a couple of things. We both grew up in this city but moved and were gone for 22 years. Only 5 years ago we moved back but have not done a lot of exploring our city. Kids and family kept us from doing that during the 22 years we were gone and the last 5 years so now we're back to exploring.

I have been working on sourdough starter again. I have a starter that I have had 8 years now and have been using it but this weekend I researched a new recipe and it was really good. I really need to bake more of our breads. Life was so busy for a while that I didn't do it often but now I want a really good bread recipe. I did use bread pans this weekend but I want one that just sits on a cookie sheet to rise and bake.

Not much else going on here. Would love to hear from someone today.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Tuesday, January 22, 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
Alice: Happy belated birthday!  We love to Traverse City!  There are great things to do there all year long.  Glad you were able to enjoy a nice little getaway!

Son and dil were here from NC this past weekend.  It was so nice to spend time together.  We hadn't seen them since Labor day, and they hadn't been home here since last March.  We enjoyed the time, even though we had a couple of extended family events to attend. 

They flew back Monday afternoon.  Back to the norm now. 

The weather is so crazy right now!  We had a huge cold snap, and icy roads and such.  Now it is actually quite warm (mid 30's), so lots of melting happening right now.  Hoping that it doesn't refreeze, because the roads will get bad if it does.  Glad I can stay home if things get bad.  We have plenty of supplies as far as food goes, so even if we get shut in for a few days, we would be fine.

We are trying to spend less right now until the wedding June 1.  We will have some expenses for that, so we need to be aware of what we are spending to be able to handle it all.  It's all good for me, because that means we will be spending more time at home.  This time of year, that is good news to me!

I am using up leftovers to make chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight.  Another thing I am working on.  Using up food and not throwing food out because it goes unused before spoiling. We are also trying to eat at home exclusively.  Not easy for us, but for sure will save us money.

Hope all of you ladies are doing well. 
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25