The Hearth > Managing a Household

FRIDAY OCTOBER 18, 2013

(1/4) > >>

bobbie78:
Hello ladies!
I've been up for a few hours already. Had my breakfast.  I've got to clean the kitchen and get caught up on laundry. I also need to straighten my bedroom.

Yesterday someone gave me 35 red and green bell peppers, a bag of onions, some carrots, about 6 granny smith apples and 16 honey crisp apples.  Also a case of yoplait yogurt parfaits. I am so grateful! God is good!

Well you ladies have a nice day!!!

Cheryl:
Good morning!

I have so much I need/want to get done today.  I got up at 4 am and started a load of laundry so I could get a jump-start on that.  I fed the chickens and let them out and fed the cats.  Now I'm sitting here enjoying a cup of coffee.

I want to finish deep-cleaning my bedroom and start on the closet.  I'd also like to rearrange things in my biggest freezer to get ready for our pork order.  I've got to make sure there's room for all of that.  Sometime today I'd like to work in the laundry room and make it look more presentable. 

I hope everyone has a great day! :)

Alice:
Happy Friday!

Bobbie, I read your post about all your goodies and I already have a plan for all of it. I would dice up all the peppers and flash freeze them, I would make an apple crisp from the grannie smiths and keep all the honey crisp for lunches along with the yogurt. How easy was that?

I actually have a hard time using all the diced peppers I freeze each year but I tried a new recipe from Pioneer Woman--Ree Drummond called sloppy joes. She uses diced green peppers and usually my kids don't love peppers hidden in their food but this recipe was so good! My youngest gobbled her dinner and said it was delicious. Ree suggests using buns that she grilled to make them crispy but I threw them in the oven to crisp up and that really was the difference.  We liked that way better than eating sloppy joes on a soft bun.

Lots of changes going on in our household AGAIN. Hubby retired last December and then we moved this summer so now hubby got a job just minutes from home.  The downside is that he has to work the 11 pm to 7 am shift for now but in the future there is the possibility of moving to the 7 am - 3 pm shift.  At least we get to see him at dinner time for a while. Thankfully the kids are all grown up (20, 19, 17) and really don't need dad's help with homework so much (17 yo still does once in a while).  We hope we can settle in a routine now and I'm actually beginning to feel a bit more calm than what I have been for several years.

I roasted a chicken last night so tonight will be something using the chicken. I have to cook differently now that hubby works later. He might prefer to eat a bigger meal at noon and a lighter supper so he doesn't get so tired toward evening. I will try to have something ready to heat in the frig. so he has food all day long while the rest of us are at school or work. 

My goal for the winter is to eat through our freezer until it's empty. We have tons of veggies in there and very little meat.  It will be fun to have more veggies than meat because we all could lose a little weight anyway.  I've already seen myself losing a tiny bit because with only three people per meal we use very little meat and lots more veggies and that was because my hubby didn't have a job and we cut way down on our groceries. Hopefully we can keep up this routine and stay healthier. Having such a big cut in income has really made us aware of all the bad habits and I guess I'm truly happy that our budget is tighter.

I guess I'm just having a reflective day. Thinking back and thinking foward. Re-evaluating and making changes.  God never let us down and never will.  All is good.

Alice

bobbie78:
Alice, we must think alike! I've already gotten all 35 peppers diced and in freezer bags in the freezer. I got 5 quart size bags out of them all. That makes me feel content. I am always throwing diced peppers in chili, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. I had seen where Aldi had their peppers for .69 a pack last week. I wanted to get out there and get some to replenish my stock but didnt really have the funds. God does provide! And I do plan to make apple crisp with the granny smith. LOVE apple crisp. And oh am I enjoying those honey crisp apples and the yogurt.

Me and my family could stand to lose some weight also, so, we are trying to serve more veggies at every meal as well.  Meat is just so hard on the budget these days.  But I am very thankful for receiving what I did yesterday!

hen41500:
For goodness sakes, I had a wonderful post then POOF.....I hit something and its gone. We hope to stay home all day but we'll see. We had 2 extra boys spend the night last night so not a lot of sleep for any of us 8)   The 2 older boys are going across the street to help a widow neighbor set up for a garage sale. The laundry needs to be done and the floors certainly need some TLC, however there are 6 boys here so..........we'll see what actually gets done ;) Have a lovely day ladies!

~Heather~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version