Author Topic: Christmas Plans Coming Together!  (Read 1606 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Christmas Plans Coming Together!
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
I am so excited that I am practically bouncing in my seat. LOL  I made a trip to Joanns today. Oh, I had so much fun. I bought all the stuff (other than fabric) that I need to make the drawstring backpack for the grands. I was able to use 50% off coupons for everything except the cord and it was on sale. I bought 100 ft of parachute cord for the cords. It is white, but by buying in bulk I saved more than double.  ;D I bought exlarge eyelets (7/16"). It called for grommets, but I only found one package of them, so I asked the manager of the store and he didn't think there was much if any difference in grommets and eyelets. If any of you know, please let me know.

I also bought the elastic cord I need for my knitting machine (also called sweater machine). Many years ago, I made ear warmers for all our kids. I loved the one I had, but have not seen it in several years. So I plan to get my knitting machine out and knit everyone an ear warmer. They just look like wide head bands and are so warm.  ;D

I started looking at fat quarters for the back packs, but said to myself, 'No way! I have plenty of fabric and am going to use what I have.'  8) Proud of myself on that. Then I looked at yarn. Hmmm, I gave most of my yarn scraps to Carolyn 4 or 5 years ago, but, of course, I have bought more. LOL Again, I said to  myself, "I will use what I have first." So my plans for the 9 grandchildren are to make each of them a drawstring backpack and an ear warmer. I should now have everything I need to make these. I think I spent about $18. This is to make 9 gifts. Yoohoo, this is one of the times I am glad to have a fabric and yarn stash.  ;D Now I just need to get to work on stuff. Then I can decide what to make for the adults. It may be as simple as the table runners Pixie posted the link for for the girls and caramel corn for the guys.  :D Things are looking brighter for me.

I did a lot of thinking about making gifts. You know what?  I would love for the kids to love their gifts, but if they don't, I am not going to let it get me down. I will make stuff, give it to them, then no longer be concerned about it.  ;D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

Re: Christmas Plans Coming Together!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
You found some great deals! :)

I'd love to be one of your grandchildren, lol.   ;D  Those are very nice gifts you're making.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
Yay!!!  I am so glad you are finding joy in creating the gifts.

Your attitude is great!!! 

It's good to "hear" you excited  :D

Beth

Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
I agree with everything said above.

So excited for you Winona!

Can't wait to see the finished projects

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Yay!! 

You are such a great talent and it's wonderful you care so much to provide such loving gifts for your family!  I love sewing but my skill level is better than beginner at best, I am more confident now but I always have a fear that it could be better for gift giving!  Then I realized I do my best, I make projects that I would like and I give it away with love!   

I am positive your grandchildren will love the backpacks!!  Such a great idea!!!  Plus everyone needs their ears protected too!

Wasn't JoAnn's sale great today!!  I found in the remnant bin a yard of lovely scarf material I plan on making myself and mom an infinity scarf.  My cousin has make oodles of them and their so pretty with a turtle neck, gives it a pop of color!  They are a very easy project too!!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus