Author Topic: Drawstring Back Pack  (Read 3364 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Drawstring Back Pack
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
I made one of the drawstring backpacks yesterday. They are really easy. I have 4 more cut out to sew up today. Thanks so much for this link, Pam.

I will share a few thoughts with you. I did it just like the link said. I was not real thrilled with parachute cord.  :( That stuff is a pain to work with and I ended up having to use a match at the ends to keep it from raveling. Then that makes the ends look nasty.  >:( So I am not very happy with those results. Thinking about other options for the cords. I could make a thin cord from fabric. The draw backs for that are it takes lots of time, sewing,  and pressing close to fingers to get these thin enough to work. I also thought about crocheting the cords. Not sure about that one yet. I know crochet stuff is pretty stretchy. Or I might just buy some cotton cord. I think I will go ahead and make up the bags and think about the cords for a while.

Also, I bought the 7/6" eyelets. Now these were easy to put in and look neat, but I think I should have had a smaller eyelet. I had to tie the cord a couple of times to keep it from slipping through. One thought I had on this is to get some beads that have large enough holes for the cord to go through and are too large to fit through the hole in the eyelet. So I will experiment and see what I come up with. I know I have a whole container of pony beads. I just saw them not too long ago, but do you think I could find them yesterday?  ??? That would be a big fat NO! LOL

See how many times I had to tie the cord to keep it from coming through the eyelet? Also note the nasty black ends where I had to burn them? I even googled how to keep cord from raveling. Most said to burn it. Some said fray check. Nope didn't work for this. Some said glue gun, but I didn't want to search for  mine. Some said Elmer's white glue, but you have to wait at least 2 hours for it to set up.  :o So I will continue to experiment.  :D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Drawstring Back Pack
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »
That's really cute, Winona.  Not sure about the cord...we have some backpacks with the cord and it hurts the shoulders if you put heavy things in the pack (water bottle, etc...).  Not sure if that would be an issue with the little ones or not but fabric might work better for that reason though it sounds like a lot more work for you.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
 Cathy, I wondered about the cord hurting their shoulders. I may just bite the bullet and make the cords out of fabric. That would be much nicer on the shoulders. Thanks for your comment. I love how easy these are to sew up. At least I still have lots of time to get them done. LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
Winona:
That turned out adorable!  I'm so glad you found something you are excited to make for your grands!
I'm sure you will come up with the adjustments you need to make it just right!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
so cute!!!!
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline RenKnitter

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »
Found Another one:

http://www.etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2013/10/easiest-napsack-ever.html

This bag is toddler size, but you can use it to get the idea.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:20:53 PM by RenKnitter »

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
That is so adorable, Winona!

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia