Author Topic: Saturday, November 2, 2013  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Saturday, November 2, 2013
« on: November 02, 2013, 05:48:47 AM »
Good Morning,

It's 7:30 already and still very, very dark. My husband came home from work at 7:02 am and I made the both of us breakfast. He ate and has gone to bed. My youngest daughter is still sleeping after a busy week at school and then a football game and bonfire to top it all off. She was home at midnight. I won't see her for a few more hours yet.

My goals for today are to return some items to Target--I really don't like that store. I saw a nighty on the 50% discount rack and bought it and some knee-high trouser socks. My daughter went with me and we were hurrying to get her on her way and I never saw the clerk ring up the nighty at zero discount so I realized later I paid full price. I'm returning it and the socks since I decided I don't even want to argue about it. I'll shop somewhere else if they continue to play those kinds of games. It's not the first time--my son bought jeans there just before college and they had buy one, get one half off and they didn't ring up at the 1/2 price for the second one. I also have to pay my daughter's credit card bill. She is in Peru for a study semester abroad and had her wallet stolen so we cancelled her credit card but there was a small balance yet. She has 6 more weeks there and no back-up source for funds. I glad she's there with a group from school so she should be able to borrow. Important lessons, ladies--if you have a purse that is like a sling purse that rests at hip level, you are an easy target for a pick pocket because you can't feel a hand slipping inside the purse.

I hope to make turkey enchilada casserole today and if it doesn't rain, I may rake some leaves.  Oh, and I need to make bread sometime this weekend. Laundry, but that is pretty light since with only three people, that is not a large load. I will hang those in the basement today since it is rainy and moist outside.

I have some mending to do today also. Call me weird but I sew underwear and that is on my list today. I just can't find a good brand of underwear that don't break.

I better get that second cup of coffee and begin my inside chores and work my way to the outside ones.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

Re: Saturday, November 2, 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »
It's quiet here for the moment.  My husband worked out of town yesterday so we won't see him until sometime this evening.  Emily's still sleeping.  I let her stay up too late watching a movie.  I've been outside and let the chickens out as soon as it was light enough to see.  After the last few days of warm temperatures it sure felt cool out there today.

Not sure what I'll do today.  The housework is as caught up as it ever gets.  As soon as something is cleaned, something else is getting messed up.  I need to run to the library and pick up a book that I've reserved.  I'd like to pick up more pecans this afternoon.  Hmm...guess that's about it.  Have a great weekend! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »
Morning Ladies!

Alice: I'm sorry to hear about your Target troubles and your daughter's stolen wallet! 

Cheryl: Mmm...enjoy that quiet time!

Quiet day around here.  Jean is working locally, so we were able to sleep a little later and enjoy our coffee together.  I've cleaned the porch, cleaned up from breakfast, and made the bed so far, and still need to swish the bathrooms, sweep the floors, and change out the art on our new kitchen chalkboard :)

We are headed to a friend's Halloween costume party tonight, so I need to figure out a dish to take and get my dress from my parent's house.  We're dressing up in wedding clothes (Jean in his tux and me in my short wedding reception dress) with half and half beauty/crazy hair styling and makeup, and going as each others' 'better half' :).  Lots of friends from church will be there, and it should be a great time!

Happy Saturdays on your homesteads!
Mandy :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
Good morning.  :D

It is quiet here too.  Sam is working at the garage (his part-time job) this morning, Aaron is still asleep, Evan and Holden are already laying back down, Caylon is in the shower and Lainey is watching Curious George.  The boys just couldn't handle being up at their usual 6:00 this morning.  Caylon and her two were out later than normal last night shopping for baby food, diapers and something for Caylon to wear for their Christmas pictures.  Holden is transitioning from 2 naps a day to 1 so he's all out of sorts. 

I have my first load of laundry washing and will hang those out, my bedroom is straightened, dishes are soaking and hamburger is thawing for our weekly spaghetti supper.  I'm happy with the progress so far this morning.  :D

Let's see...the rest of the day will be spent piddling.  Lainey has birthday parties to attend from 12-5 this afternoon!!  She has 2 back to back parties to go to at a bouncy place.  She will be worn out this evening.  Aaron's Sargent is getting married today and Aaron is a groomsman so his whole afternoon and evening is planned. 

Ummm....I think that's all I have to report.  ;D

Mandy, My sister and BIL went to a Halloween party as Flo, the Progressive Lady and Allstate's Mayhem Jogger.  They looked so good. I love couple costumes that compliment each other. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday.

Beth
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:54:17 AM by mooremama »
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
Good Morning

I missed yesterday as I took both DDS to get teeth pulled to start orthodonticts. ugh We ran some errands and by the time we got home at 6 we were all tired. We had to take DDs baby she had for school project along. She had it for 2 days and it shut off at 6 this morning. So on tap for today is preg checking cows and bountiful baskets. I actually have to run to town twice as we need shots for the preg checking and bountiful baskets starts afterwards. So I am cleaning up my house as I will have men for dinner and getting everything ready for town. I bought another washer yesterday as I need to take mine in for repairs. It was $499 then 10% off then it was floor model that I found a tiny scratch on lid for another 10% off then 5% for my lowes card. yeah! I did buy the 3 yr protection plan as they said they would basically give me  a new washer as there is no one to work on them around here.

Offline auntotiti

• Charlotte Cait
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
Good morning,
Up and thinking of what needs to get done.
Dishwasher loaded, need to wipe down the rest.
Been under the weather past two mornings....feeling much better.
Planned on painting two walls in livingroom, got one done.  DH needs one of ds to help get the tv
Down off the wall...in time I guess.
Dinner is tortilla soup.
Grocery shopping at some point today.
Wishing you all a blessed day.
Married to mybest friend Mike 38 yrs
Sons Josh and Phil
Two beautiful sweet daughters in love
Three adored grands
Malyna, Nolan, Charlotte

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
Good morning!

Sounds like everyone is quite busy this morning!  I slept in to about 7 and lay there for a bit afterward.  Felt good!  We just finished a breakfast of waffles.  Earl went with a friend to pick up our new bathtub.  We've been meaning to fix our hall bath since we moved in 6.5 years ago but haven't ever had the time (with Earl home) and money at the same time.  :P  Still don't, really, but are trying to do this on the super cheap.  The new bathtub is the splurge.  The old one is so small that it's hard to soak sore muscles.  We have to tear the tub out regardless of whether we replaced it in order to fix the drain.  The faucet wall tile has to be torn out because the whole mechanism for the shower is messed up...we've been just dealing with it for several years now but decided to take advantage of a promotion on a CC and just "get 'er done".  First order of business is the tub, floor, and tile around the tub.  With this being the only tub/shower for the 7 of us, it needs to be in good working order.  Plus, if Earl was to turn up a job elsewhere and we needed to move, it would be nice to have that ready to sell.

It's a beautiful day here!  40's this morning and high in the 60's.  Earl and I will be going either down to TX or up to OKC a little later.  A company called Joss and Main (I think) gives a free suit to veterans (not sure if it is just disabled ones or all) and Earl's time frame to get that is almost up.  So we're going to get that and will make a bit of a date out of it by having lunch or whatever mealtime it is out.

Today would have been my Grandma's 100th birthday if she were still alive.  I sure miss her sometimes, even though she has been gone over 13 years.  She loved children and sure would have liked to meet her great-grandkids.  We will be using her china soon for Thanksgiving dinner and that always brings back good memories.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Alice, I don't think that is at all weird to sew underwear.  Is it hard, though?  I remember something about it on Granny Miller several years back.  I am so picky about mine because I can't stand seams that rub wrong, certain fabrics, etc... .  Maybe I should look into doing this.

Catherine

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Catherine,

I should have said "I mend underwear". I get holes all over them and I mend them sometime just by overlapping and zigzagging the overlap so there are no harsh seams to rub the skin raw.  I just feel like the elastics waist and leg parts stay together longer than the very thin fabric made on the rest and that is the part that gets holes in them. Often a simple overlap lands right on a seam so all I'm doing is reinforcing a seam.  I think it works well and gives me a few weeks to a few months more life out of them.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:53:36 AM »
I was wrong.  The suit company was Jos. A. Banks.  They were super nice and it felt like the olden days or something.  They measured him, gave him some things to try, then decided where to hem the pants.  The guy who played Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump (Gary Siese) apparently got interested in veteran's stuff after doing the movie and has a foundation.  They are the ones doing this suit program for veterans.  Earl paid $10 to have the permanent crease put in the pants but other than that, this was completely free.  What a HUGE blessing since he has to dress up for work these days.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
That is awesome, Catherine!  Suits are so expensive.  It is great that Earl was able to participate in that program.

Denise