Author Topic: Fall Gardening  (Read 3825 times)

Offline gaggleofseven

Fall Gardening
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
Tomorrow I will harvest the rest of the yellow onions. These should last us through the winter, as we don't use lots of onions. After the raised bed is cleared, I'm going to plant more lettuce and some more onions to be used green. I had problems with my lettuce not germinating (it was new seed), so I'm hoping this I have will do better.

Is anyone else doing some fall gardening? What are you planting?

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Fall Gardening
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
We've planted some broccoli, but that's all for cold plants.  My summer garden is still going strong, however.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »
I had really wanted to get a fall garden planted but our summer garden was so disappointing with all the rain we had, I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to get it done. 

My garden space is in a new area of our yard so we are wanting to do some building up of the soil so I guess it's a good thing I didn't get anything planted.  We are going to bring in a load of composted manure and also till in a bunch of leaves that we get from our many trees this fall. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:06:19 AM »
My summer garden was the worst we've had in years.  I really wanted to get some cabbage planted along with some lettuce, but so far we've done nothing.

One year we planted squash in September and it did really well.  None of those nasty squash bugs at all!  I might try that again.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
As you all know, I lost my whole garden. Kevin suggested we plant a fall garden in a different area, but I had completely lost the desire for gardening. I am sure it will be back by spring, but as of now, nope.  :(  Good luck to all of you growing a fall garden.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
I still feel so badly for you, Winona.  I hope this was the last time you have this problem.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Trudy in TN

• Loving Home
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
We are still picking tomatoes and peppers.  However, dh said that the everything is almost done so I am hoping to plant some broccoli, kale and lettuce for the fall.  I might try some cabbage too.  We didn't lose our garden this year because we built raised beds this spring so it didn't drown this year.
Wife of 29 years to David
Mom to Ian (26) and Rachel (24)
Mom in love to Brooke
www.lovinghome-trudy@blogspot.com

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:49:25 AM »
I had a horrible time with my tomatoes this year. That is all I was able to plant this summer. I had one cherry tomato. Just one. And I planted loads of tomatoes. I honestly dont know what was wrong. I planted them along my back deck, and the back side of the house. I noticed lots of roly polies crawling around my tomatoes. ICK! I dont know if thats why???? Sure would have loved some fresh tomatoes though!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:10:16 AM »
Being in Canada, I don't plant a fall garden, at least not outdoors.  Last year I was able to grow leaf lettuce indoors all winter.  I planted it in an old aquarium and put it right in front of a large south-facing window.  Sometimes I gave it additional light with a grow light, but only if there was no sun for a couple of days.  I plan to do this again. and will probably try some different types of lettuce. I am thinking I might try a couple of cherry tomato plants too, but I am not sure that will work.  We shall see.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »
I had a horrible time with my tomatoes this year. That is all I was able to plant this summer. I had one cherry tomato. Just one. And I planted loads of tomatoes. I honestly dont know what was wrong. I planted them along my back deck, and the back side of the house. I noticed lots of roly polies crawling around my tomatoes. ICK! I dont know if thats why???? Sure would have loved some fresh tomatoes though!

My tomatoes got the blight the past two years and I lost over 30 tomato plants. I was so disappointed that I didn't even plant any tomatoes this year.
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Being in Canada, I don't plant a fall garden, at least not outdoors.  Last year I was able to grow leaf lettuce indoors all winter.  I planted it in an old aquarium and put it right in front of a large south-facing window.  Sometimes I gave it additional light with a grow light, but only if there was no sun for a couple of days.  I plan to do this again. and will probably try some different types of lettuce. I am thinking I might try a couple of cherry tomato plants too, but I am not sure that will work.  We shall see.

This is a great idea!  Fresh lettuce is something I really miss during the winter. :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »

hmmm, that's really interesting to me.  I grew some romaine in a cup of water a couple months ago, but it never sent out roots and it eventually got soggy and stopped growing.  Did you do it by seed or did you plant a cut off lettuce bottom? 

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »
I planted seeds.  I made sure to get them before the garden centres closed for the season, because it is very hard to find seeds this time of year.  I have never tried lettuce from the base of the plant, but I have done it with green onions and celery.  Not very successful with the celery, but the green onions grew pretty well for a while.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline trlmom3

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
I don't plant a fall garden either, once the frost hits everything is done. May plan is to make a small portable green house that could extend my growing season a couple of months.
Laura
From Northern Michigan
Married to Rick
Mom to Nathan(Kayla), Tanya(Scott),Adam(Nicole)
Gramma to Aiden , Gabby, Isaac  and Sophia Rose born Mar 30 2015
2 dogs

Offline country wife

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
  We have a high tunnel that we are going to be growing as much as we can for are long as we can this winter.  First time for a high tunnel.  I'm looking at spinach, kale and carrots, peas and some lettuce..
     We have a small greenhouse with an aquaponics system in it.  We will be growing pea shoots, basil, tomatos, mint, cilantro, lettuce through the winter...along with fish.
      We hope to be able to supply the local grocery store with our extra aquaponics produce through the winter.  It is all organically grown.

I am really looking forward to hearing what others have grown in their late season gardens.  This will be a necessary thing for our family, so I hope to learn from others' experiences.

Sincerely,
 Deanne