Author Topic: Preparing to live in a yurt  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Preparing to live in a yurt
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
Phase 1

One of the things our family will need to get used to when living in a yurt is having much less space.  One of the first things I'm doing in that planning is severely reducing the amount of stuff in our kitchen.

I've gone through and removed all the saucers, dessert plates, pasta plates, teacups, all but 2 mugs, all cups and glasses, all but 4 plates, and all but 4 bowls.  I will also be reducing down to one set of silverware for each person. 

So, we'll each have 1 bowl, 1 plate, one mug, one set of silverware.  That's it.  I will hand wash after each use.  After I have everything boxed (I'm halfway through) I will take some pictures to show the difference.

I'm even thinking of taking it a step further.  Since I will not be using the dishwasher at all, I'm thinking I will store the dishes in there and use it as a drying rack.  Then I can convert that last bit of cupboard space into storage for canned goods. 

I'm going to box these dishes up, but hang on to them for a month.  If we love it, I'l keep it going longer.  If not, I'll adjust as needed.  When we do actually build our yurt, we will sell our whole set of dishes (they are a nice complete set of oven safe porcelain from williams sonoma.) and buy 1 simple set of metal plates and bowls and such so we do not have to worry about breakage. 

Phase 2 will be to reduce down to the minimum of cookware.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:23:18 AM by Shelly »
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: Preparing to live in a yurt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
Big changes, but how neat!  Keep us posted!

M :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »
It's been a few days now and I haven't regretted this yet.  I have a ton more space for things that normally sit on my counter (juicer, cookbooks, etc) so my counter looks so much cleaner.

Because I wash the dishes immediately, my sink has zero dish pileup.  It looks so nice!
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I think you might be on to something.  ;D
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
Oh love the idea. Can't wait to read more as you progress along  :)

Laurie
Laurie
Many hands make light work

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
love this!  I am wanting to simplify too!

I may put things away slowly and see how it goes. 

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
I had to look up what a yurt was

very interesting - is this something you have bought already or are you at the discussing stage still?

Love the decluttering thing - I have so much I need to do with this

love to hear more

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
I had to look up what a yurt was

Me too  ;D ;D ;D!  Looks AWESOME though, and I can't wait to hear more.

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
I try to look at myself lately as if "what if I had to move" Do I really want to pack up and move all this "stuff"  :o  :o  I think not so I've been trying to scale down myself.

What an interesting topic and will be following it for sure!
Laurie
Many hands make light work

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
I try to look at myself lately as if "what if I had to move" Do I really want to pack up and move all this "stuff"  :o  :o  I think not so I've been trying to scale down myself.

What an interesting topic and will be following it for sure!

I moved twice in 10 months last year and got rid of SO much stuff... we still have a lot though.  I am going to start decluttering today.. even if its just a drawer.

Offline Noora

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
When you pare down, are you keeping in mind a possibly growing family (I think I remember you talking about another try...?)

Also, how about having company over - or is that out of the question in a yurt situation (have not looked it up), if you have only enough for the four of you?

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
When you pare down, are you keeping in mind a possibly growing family (I think I remember you talking about another try...?)

Also, how about having company over - or is that out of the question in a yurt situation (have not looked it up), if you have only enough for the four of you?

Yep.  We're keeping that in mind.  Our family will likely be complete by the time we're ready to do this.

As for company, there will be plenty of space.  IF we do this, we'll do a hybrid with the yurt on top and typical frame building below with garage and laundry room, etc..  Yurts can be very large.  The one we're planning on is a 40 foot diameter.

Whether we go through with the yurt or not, we will still be living a minimalist lifestyle.  Minimalist is relative, though.  We won't be one of those who has only 100 possessions.