Author Topic: Turkey prices  (Read 8019 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Turkey prices
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
I'm curious if anyone is finding good deals on turkey this year?  I've been checking around here...haven't been to Aldi yet to see if they have them but W-mart's range from $1.24-$1.48 a lb here, the commissary has them for $1.30 (Butterball) to $1.34 (Honeysuckle) per lb, and I don't know Country Mart's price (our lone true grocery chain) but I've been looking up their ad online and so far, no sales on them.  :(

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Turkey prices
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 05:54:06 PM »
I haven't seen any turkeys advertised yet either. But Thanksgiving is the last week of this month so I'm thinking the ads will be out in the next week or so. I don't think I'm doing a turkey this year. I do not have a garage refrigerator anymore and my deep freezer is nearly full. My refrigerator is kind of small so I would not even have room in there to thaw a big turkey. I'm thinking chicken will be on my menu for Thanksgiving dinner. I wouldn't even dare thaw a turkey without making room in the frig.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline hen41500

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
We're in Arizona, on the Border or Az and Mexico. Our Walmart is 1.92/lb, the Commissary on base is 1.30/lb, Fry's foods is .79/lb if you spend a minimum of $25. There is a little Mexican store here and a super Kmart but I haven't been in there to price as they are typically higher on everything.  Seems like in the past 2 years there hasn't been any "good" turkey deals as in .39 to .50 per pound but maybe that's just here ???

~Heather~

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
We're in Arizona, on the Border or Az and Mexico. Our Walmart is 1.92/lb, the Commissary on base is 1.30/lb, Fry's foods is .79/lb if you spend a minimum of $25. There is a little Mexican store here and a super Kmart but I haven't been in there to price as they are typically higher on everything.  Seems like in the past 2 years there hasn't been any "good" turkey deals as in .39 to .50 per pound but maybe that's just here ???

~Heather~

We have the same situation.  One year, on the previous board, people were posting about the .39 a lb turkeys and my mom had even gotten one in Florida.  Our Wmart didn't have them so my husband called about it.  Apparently there is some law here in Oklahoma (maybe your state, as well?) that keeps them from ever being priced that low.  But, I have seen them more like .89 a lb some years.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
I haven't noticed what the price of turkey is this year but did notice that Acme had a special the last two weeks where, if you spent $100, you got a free turkey.  Not the usual deal of spend $300 over a certain amount of time.  Just spent $100 on your weekly order and take the turkey home that day.

Denise

P.S.  I do know that the price of organic, free range turkeys is $5.00 a pound this year and fresh turkeys are $3.89 a pound.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
I haven't noticed what the price of turkey is this year but did notice that Acme had a special the last two weeks where, if you spent $100, you got a free turkey.  Not the usual deal of spend $300 over a certain amount of time.  Just spent $100 on your weekly order and take the turkey home that day.

Denise

P.S.  I do know that the price of organic, free range turkeys is $5.00 a pound this year and fresh turkeys are $3.89 a pound.

That spend $100 and get it free is pretty good!  Country Mart has something like that going, but you have to spend $450 over the course of 4 weeks to get the free turkey.  They must be nuts.

I did price the free range ones from Azure and I think it was $2.90 per lb for the large size turkey I would buy.  We usually have gotten a free-range one locally but decided not to this year in the interest of the budget.  Since we eat chicken weekly (a whole one), we felt we'd continue to buy better quality in that as opposed to turkey which we eat much more rarely.   Decisions, decisions.

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »

~Heather~

Are you in Sierra Vista? The Mexican store wouldn't happen to be Food City, would it? Because that's what it sounds like to me. :)
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
Our Kroger has their brand now until Thanksgiving for $.88lb with a $10 additional purchase.  Honeysuckle, I believe was listed at $1.89lb and Butterball was $2.29lb.  I don't know if there will be any better prices at any other grocery....
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
Our Kroger is the same as Pixie's. Aldi has butterball for 1.19 lb. I think that is where I will get mine. Super Kmart has they're brand for .59 a lb but you must purchase 30 dollars worth of other merchandise to receive that price. Super K is probably the priciest grocery store in our area.  So I think I will go for the butterball at Aldi. Sounds good to me, anyways.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline hen41500

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
Yes Leah, We are in sierra Vista.  And yes, the little store is Food City :)

~Heather~

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
Yes Leah, We are in sierra Vista.  And yes, the little store is Food City :)

~Heather~

We lived there for 7 years, my husband was a teacher at the high school. I have to say that I sure miss Sierra Vista's farmer's market!
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »
Don't remember the brand but so far lowest at our walmart is 1.77 ouch, I miss the 89cent a lb lol.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline hen41500

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
That is so cool Leah!   We are have lived here 3 yrs, perhaps 1 more to go. I do love the Farmers market but don't get to go consistently.

~Heather~

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »
The best price around here so far is .59 per lb. at City Market.  That is for their store brand.  I wonder if there will be more deals coming up as we get closer to Thanksgiving.  I'm waiting for the deals on spices too.  I always stock upon those in November but so far not much is happening there either.

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline wrancher

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »
Cindy

do you have any health food stores or some place that sells spices in bulk. you can just ask for 1/4 oz or what ever you need and it saves a toon of money. You will get them in a little baggie you can refill when you get home or take them in to fill
Not sure if you have that option though