Author Topic: Turkey prices  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Cathie

Re: Turkey prices
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
our local stores has turkeys 48 cents a pound

I might end up getting one we will see. I need one for Thanksgiving but honey thinks a supplier might give us one - I am really torn as to what to do.

Wow, great price!  Depending on how much you like turkey, if it were me I'd probably still buy at least a couple to have later.  Well, more than a couple if I found them for that price, lol.  I can't get storebought whole chicken for that price here any more.

yes that's kinda what I am thinking too - perhaps I will buy 2 of them

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
OK, I'm not sure what the deal with turkey prices are. I see Meijer's ad about frozen turkeys being $10 off and $17 off. A bit lower on the page, they say "10 lb. .49 per pound, 12 lb. .66 per pound, 17 lb. .49 per pound, 20 lb. .64 per pound, all with an additional $20 in purchases". I look at the prices on the turkey and it shows the full price of over $30. I had a full $20 in purchases but couldn't figure out the way the deal works. I had trouble with that last year also. If the turkey was $30 with $17 off, the price would be $13 but .64 times 20 is $12.80. I know it's only 20 cents difference but last year they didn't run this deal very well because going up to the cashier it would be much higher priced. On paper it was close, but in reality it was not even close. I didn't want to argue about it this year like I did last year and so we didn't buy one. I might go again later this week or early next week and try it again but I don't have much on my list so spending $20 isn't probably going to happen. I found I need to go with my calculator in hand and be ready to argue but then I feel like an idiot arguing about food prices.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Our stores are running deals with turkeys being .47/lb with an additional $35 purchase.

Target had turkeys for .78/lb ( I think it was) with no additional purchase required. 

I bought two 15 pound turkeys at Target for around $25 total.  Much cheaper this way.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Alice, do you have a Publix nearby? Theirs are cheap and no other purchase required.

Offline Alice

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 06:44:13 PM »
No, we do not have Publix. I just wish these stores wouldn't have all the strings attached because that still contributes to a higher price. I get so sick of coupons, using a customer card for deals and these silly deals where you have to spend a certain amount in order to get the sale price. Then it's not a sale anymore.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 06:58:04 AM »
I agree Alice, that's why I just bought mine at Target this year.  Most of the grocery stores around here that have have the additional purchase required are not stores I normally shop at because they're prices are so high. 

I bought 2 turkeys at Target cheaper than I would have bought 1 turkey with add'l purchases at other stores.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
I agree Alice, that's why I just bought mine at Target this year.  Most of the grocery stores around here that have have the additional purchase required are not stores I normally shop at because they're prices are so high. 

I bought 2 turkeys at Target cheaper than I would have bought 1 turkey with add'l purchases at other stores.

Beth

any use they $10 coupon Target was offering for groceries over $50?

I did - I grouped it with a bunch of stuff - they had canned soup for 65 cents so that in itself was a good deal  ;)

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »
I did my normal grocery shopping this morning.  I generally go every two weeks.  I have been doing better keeping my cost below $100 at WinCo, but this time I wanted to pick up a few things for Emily to take back to college after Thanksgiving.  I also picked up a few things for Josh's birthday present to go along with the cast iron skillets we got him.  That enabled me to go a little over $100 so the price of my turkey was free.

I will put that turkey in the freezer.  Harold has to work on Thanksgiving (12 hour day) and the girls and I were asked over to one of his Aunt's house.  We will have a turkey dinner on Saturday before Emily heads back to college the next day.

Offline Alice

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
Hi Ladies,

I'm in big trouble now! My small Thanksgiving meal has turned into a meal for 11 people. Not only did I downsize the house but I also did not take my garage refrigerator with me when we moved. I was not going to do a turkey but rather a large chicken and ham. People keep inviting other people and we're up to 11. I think I might have to get a turkey after all. Problem is that I don't have a place to thaw that thing.  My refrigerator is really quite small. I might be able to squeeze 11 of us downstairs in my basement with tables and I have plenty of plates, silverware, etc.  I just have to try to get a turkey into the fridge to thaw tonight or else it will not be ready on time. Oh, I'm so in trouble. :-[

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
Alice: The Meijer ad is confusing. 
The sale is $10 off a turkey up to 16 pounds, $17 off a turkey 16 pounds or larger.
The price per pound after the discount will depend on the size of the turkey. 
I looked for one that was just barely over the 16# mark.  That made it the cheapest per pound. 
The amount per pound listed was just a price comparison to show what you would end up paying per pound for those size turkeys.  I found that to just confuse the situation.  Those numbers really don't have much to do with the sale. 
Hope that helps.
Sometimes I can thaw a turkey in our garage.  It is cold enough right now, and if I have it close to the house in a warmer (not freezing) part of the garage in a large cooler, it can thaw fine.  I just check on it every day to make sure it is okay.  Throw ice on it (or snow) if it thaws too soon, or finish thawing with the water technique if need be before cooking.

:) Pam   
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25