Author Topic: Life Without A Dishwasher?  (Read 5782 times)

Offline jrejhkids

Re: Life Without A Dishwasher?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
We have a dishwasher.  When we were building our house in 1998 and 1999 we thought at first we wouldn't put one in.  We did finally decide to put one in and I have never regretted it.  We had four kids and I did a lot of canning.  I would run my jars through a light cycle and they would be washed and sterilized and ready to use.

Now with only three of us at home we will generally run it every other day.  I always use the light cycle as I do rinse the dishes. 

RenKnitter, have you cleaned the gasket around the dishwasher door?  Also, what about checking the filter, is it clogged? 

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
have you cleaned the gasket around the dishwasher door?  Also, what about checking the filter, is it clogged

We cleaned the gasket, and it doesn't seem to be clogged.  It was only leaking on one side, and not every time.  I ran it tonight and we kept an eye on it - it didn't leak. 

The one thing that I really like about the dishwasher is that it removes smells very well.  When we have containers that have a strong smell of food, the dishwasher just seems to remove that better than handwashing - no matter how much soaking and scrubbing I do.

The thing that bothers me the most is having to come back later and empty it - I know that is crazy, but I always seem to have dishes to unload.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
I was thinking about this last night as I was cleaning the kitchen after supper.  I straddle the fence on this. 

Some nights I really enjoy the process of cleaning the kitchen.  I really enjoy piddling around in there, doing odds and ends while a pot soaks for a few minutes or giving the dishes a few minutes to drain before I towel dry them. 

Other times I like putting them in the dishwasher, pushing a few buttons and being done with it.   ;D

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
My dishwasher and I are best buddies.  :P  Seriously, with seven of us eating almost all scratch-cooked food, it gets run twice a day and I normally have at least two big batches of hand-wash stuff as well, sometimes more.  I am very picky about what goes in the dishwasher so it's mostly plates, bowls, glasses or Tervis tumblers, mason jars, and a couple of stainless steel pans on the rare occasion there is room.  I wash plastics, most all utensils, pans, big items, sharp knives, etc... by hand.  I kniow we COULD make it without one, but am thankful not to have to do it right now.  Maybe when the little ones are more self-sufficient with homeschooling it would be a little easier?

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
I've never had a dishwasher so I dont know how I feel about it. I'm used to doing them in the sink. I may love one though! But my sister has one and she said she has to rinse the dishes that are heavily soiled and sometimes the dishes dont always get clean even when she uses expensive detergent. So, I kinda feel like I'm not missing out on anything. Then again, I like the idea of having a ''servant'' clean my dishes as wrancher says. lol.  Its just me and Chad though. But on those nights when we have company for dinner and everybody's gone and I'm facing a giant pile of dishes...well..yeah that dishwasher would be nice!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
Bobbie, I have had dishwashers like your sister's. For over five years I have had a Kenmore with a food grinder. I love it! I just scrape and load with no rinsing. I know there are a few more brands that offer the same. If you ever invest in one, just do your research and plan to put a few more dollars in.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
Thanks, Susan! I talked to my hubby about looking into possibly getting one. I may just like it :)
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »
After hanging out 3 loads of clothes in 22* weather, I really appreciated a sinkful of hot dishwater.  This morning is one of the times that I'd choose hand washing over a dishwasher.  ;) :P

Beth
Beth in western NC
MIL to Bo

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 06:44:06 AM »
Beth, I know the feeling!  Some mornings I don't think my fingers will ever thaw out.  And I can't wear gloves, they just get in my way! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 06:58:05 AM »
Cheryl,

I do not like gloves either.  I can't wear them in the summer when I garden or work out in the yard and I don't like wearing them in the winter when it's cold.  I do have a pair of mittens that I wear when I absolutely need to wear something on my hands but gloves just don't work for me. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
MIL to Bo

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
I'm still liking doing dishes both ways. This morning (and every morning) I just fill a small dish tub of water and clean up whatever is on the counter. So easy and done in no time at all.  Thanksgiving and Christmas when the kids are all home I am sure I'll appreciate having the dishwasher.  I do like handwashing dishes as it keeps my fingernails clean--I know--gross but it's true since my hands soak in the water it naturally cleans my hands.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
We have a dishwasher but it doesn't do a very good job and dishes just seem to pile up so I just got back from the store and now the kids have color coded set of dishes that they will hand wash after each meal and I am going to box all the extra stuff up and put in the shed. So looking forward to the kitchen staying clean especially since its open to the living room.

Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Craftymom

• Debbie from Central Illinois
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, our dishwasher doesn't clean very well.  It is a portable dishwasher that my mother bought me years ago.  While it had served me well.  I am much preferring to hand wash. 

I work.  When we used the dish washer, I seemed to be the only one who knew how to unload the dishwasher.  Since we've gone to hand washing, everyone is responsible for their own dishes.  It's BRILLIANT!  Before, it seemed that a lot of the time, our dishes were dirty in the dishwasher.  Now, we have more clean dishes available.  My kids miss the dishwasher but I don't.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »
I have a working dishwasher but I have been washing dishes by hand.  I will say that I did use it for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals when I had a lot of people eating with us. But I am now back to hand washing. My husband always grabs a dry towel and begins drying them for me. It is kind of nice standing side by side chatting as we work.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 03:51:33 AM »
Alice, me and Chad do this sometimes, too. I love the time I get to spend with him. He doesnt do it every time I do the dishes, but he does often enough.