Author Topic: Sandwich Substitutes  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Sandlappersue

Sandwich Substitutes
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
We love sandwiches and I want to cut bread consumption down to twice a week. Can you help? Thanks!!!

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Sandwich Substitutes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »
Susan,
I have a wheat intolerance, so very seldom ever eat any bread. I have tried gluten free bread, but just isn't the same for me. I now make lots of soups, stews, and one dish meals instead of sandwiches. Kevin makes sandwiches from soft corn tortillas. He takes these in his lunch. He puts a couple on a cookie sheet, puts some sort of meat on it, covers with cheese, then 2 more soft tortillas. He bakes these about 20 minutes. He says they are good. I haven't tried them yet.  We also eat lots of beans, nutritious and good. I sometimes make a sandwich by using lettuce leaves instead of bread. Once you get used to not eating bread, it isn't so bad, unless you try to grab something to eat while out shopping. Oh boy, not fun to find wheat free foods in a hurry.  ::) Good luck with this.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cathie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
we like tortilla too

also my girls love snacky lunches - crackers, cheese, fruit, carrots & celery with ranch dressing, muffins, banana bread.  they also love leftovers and soups including ramen

my son - peanut butter and jelly every day  :P

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
We do the "refried" crockpot beans from Pennies and Pancakes.  With corn or wheat tortillas, or just in a bowl for some of the kids, with a little cheese sprinkled on top.

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Thanks y'all! Epic fail so far. We had PB&J one night with veggie soup, biscuits and cornbread yesterday. I am trying to be more conscious of things though.

Keep any ideas coming.It is so easy to have the oldest to make sandwiches for everybody when I am doing something else....

Offline hen41500

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
may sound silly but we use lettuce as our "wrap" sometimes when we are watching the carbs. I have also bought the rice wraps????  think that's what they're called. They are in the oriental section at the grocery store. There is 12 maybe even 15 in the pckg but don't quote me on that for around $1.25. You put 1 at a time on a saucer with a little water until its plyable (like 5-10 seconds) then fill it with whatever and roll it like an eggroll. WE love them but don't have them often except in the summer. You could google spring rolls or vietnamiese rolls and I'm sure get the idea of what I'm trying to explain ;) The prudent homemaker blog says she makes tomato sandwiches but in the pic, it just looks like crackers with cheese slice and tomato wedge on top. Are you trying to do away with bread altogether or just get rid of the loaves for a bit?

~Heather~

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
Thanks, Heather. We do Japanese rolls a lot....those and wontons. I do this as a main supper meal. I also really like lettuce wraps for my diet food but will really have to stuff it well for the growing ones.