Author Topic: Hedges  (Read 2630 times)

Offline jrejhkids

Hedges
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for a fast growing evergreen hedge that can be grown in Southwest Idaho?  We were thinking Canadian Hemlock's, but they grow so slow.

We want to block our view of the neighbors house and their obnoxious light.  They are about six feet above us and towards the east some.  They have a light pointed right towards us to light up their back yard, and the light does not have a shield on it.  It lights up the back of our house and the yard.  We don't need any night lights in the house as their light lights up our house.  Harold does not want to talk with the neighbors as they are not very approachable and it would cause problems.  I am in the process of replacing blinds and making curtains.  The one curtain I have finished does seem to help.

Now they are putting up a fence that is an eyesore.  We had poplar trees along our back yard but have had to take them down as they were taking all the water from the yard.  We want something that is fast growing, but not a juniper type of bush.  We are hoping to cut the stumps of the trees down this winter so that we can plant something this coming Spring.

Thank you.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Hedges
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
My parents had American Holly in our yard, I think.  It seemed to grow pretty quickly. 

I just did a quick google search and I found this:

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/PrivacyTrees.htm
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
No suggestions for hedges, but you have my sympathy on the light.  About a year and a half ago, a pole light in our alley suddenly started being used.  It's about 20 feet up so there is no blocking it, and it lights up our whole back yard and the back rooms of their house (including my bedroom).  We use BOTH room darkening Roman Shades AND light blocking curtains to get our room dark enough to sleep.  :P  But it messes up my sleep cycle because we get no light in the room in the morning.

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
My parents had American Holly in our yard, I think.  It seemed to grow pretty quickly. 

I just did a quick google search and I found this:

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/PrivacyTrees.htm

Thank you, Shelly.  We will be looking into the American Holly.  It will grow in our zone. 

Greyhoundgirl, our neighbors also have a pole light at the beginning of their driveway (we each live on 2 1/2 acres).  That also shines down on us, but it isn't as bad as this other light.  My husband thinks this is a halogen light, so it is very bright.  I finished one set of curtains yesterday and that helps.  I just need to figure out what to put over some vertical blinds that have been mounted on the outside of the window opening in the bedroom.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
Not to be sneaky, but do you have an HOA that might be able to do something?  I mean, if the light was reported as a nuisance the neighbors could probably figure out that the complaint came from you guys, but the fence should be reportable, and definitely an issue if it (or something else they've done) is re-routing watershed.  Just a thought from someone who doesn't like confrontation either :)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
Not to be sneaky, but do you have an HOA that might be able to do something?  I mean, if the light was reported as a nuisance the neighbors could probably figure out that the complaint came from you guys, but the fence should be reportable, and definitely an issue if it (or something else they've done) is re-routing watershed.  Just a thought from someone who doesn't like confrontation either :)

Mandy

We are out in the country, so no subdivisions or HOA.  As for the fence, they are using old grey plywood.  They only attached it at the top to the wire fence around the yard.  We had wind last night and it has blown one of the pieces off most of the way.  Thankfully it isn't right by us as there is a little pasture/dirt area between our fence and their "yard" fence.  It is just that we live in the back of our house and it is an eyesore.  We have had these issues since the Manufactured home was first put in three owners and three renters ago.  They get to look down on a nice landscaped yard and property and we get to look at a home that isn't taken care of.