Author Topic: Sweet potatoes  (Read 2001 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Sweet potatoes
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
I had three plants grow successfully this year, first time ever.  Prior to the frost and 15 degree temps night before last, they were still blooming beautifully (the two with blooms are a purple variety, I think).  Did I mess up by not digging them already or do you think they are protected being buried still?  Assuming there are actually sweet potatoes in there, lol.  :P  I'd like to use them for Thanksgiving if there are any in there and okay still.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
Cathy, I always heard that you should let your sweet potatoes get a frost before digging them. Not sure about a hard freeze, though. I would get them dug as quickly as you can. You should be able to tell. I think they will turn black if they were frozen. I store mine in the house, but not the fridge. I hope they are OK.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Well, I needn't have worried.  The two plants that bloomed so beautifully had NOTHING under them.  Nada.  The pitiful little plant that never bloomed has one small to medium sweet potato, along with 3 other tiny developing ones that would have been something in a few weeks.  :(  Sometimes I think gardening is for the birds.  I read about all these people who have these wonderful gardens and I just don't understand where I'm going wrong.  We have beautiful rich soil after all these years of working on it.  I plant mostly at the correct times.  Anyway.  One sweet potato.  :P

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
Hey! Your garden sounds just like ours! ;D ;D ;D

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Hey! Your garden sounds just like ours! ;D ;D ;D

M

At least I'm in good company!   :D

The only thing I can grow reliably is Swiss chard.  Usually, that makes it all fall/winter.  But this ridiculous record-setting cold of yesterday froze mine.  Apparently, yesterday morning at 5 AM, we were the coldest spot in the continental US.  That is not something that usually happens here.  :P