Author Topic: Tax on groceries?  (Read 3765 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Tax on groceries?
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:36:37 AM »
I think we had a thread on this at one point on the other board.  Being in Dallas this weekend, I bought a few things at stores that we don't have here (Costco and Kroger) and noticed there is no tax on groceries there.  That's a BIG savings right there!  Anyway, we pay 8.85% tax here in Oklahoma where I live (I think it varies by county due to county tax).  No tax at the commissary but they charge a 5% surcharge plus the baggers work only for tips and you can't get away from that unless you use the self checkout (and must have less than 15 items to do that).  So usually, I pay 5% plus at least $5, more for a really large grocery order, so about what tax would be anyway.

Are groceries taxed where you live?  And is it everything or just "luxury" items like sodas?

Offline jrejhkids

Re: Tax on groceries?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:14 AM »
Here in Idaho we pay 6% tax on all groceries.  It usually ends up about $21 a month for us.  That adds up.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
I answered but my reply seems to have been eaten!  We do not pay tax on food at the grocery store unless it is a prepared food such as fried chicken, etc.  We do pay tax on paper products and toiletries.  That tax is 6%.  There is also no tax on clothing that is considered a necessity.  Bathing suits apparently aren't a necessity so they are taxed.  That tax is also 6%.

Denise

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
I pay a 2% tax on food and a 7% tax on non-food items.  I'm not sure what "luxury items" are taxed...as food or non-food.  It's hard to figure out because the tax is added as a lump sum at the bottom of the receipt and not listed per item.  Hmmmm.....

Edited to add....I just looked up the NC food tax on the NC Dept of Revenue site and prepared food, candy and soft drinks do not qualify for the 2% tax, they're taxed at 7% in my county.  Also, the 2% food tax is straight across the board, the 7% tax is broken down to 4.75% state and then my county adds another 2.25% for a total of 7%.   

Learned something new today...thanks Catherine.  :D

Beth
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:13:39 AM by mooremama »
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
We regularly shop in 2 towns.  The taxes there are 8% and 9% on all items. 

It definitely adds up!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
I forgot to mention - on my receipts, there is usually a T next to the items that are taxed so that I know which they are.

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
I answered but my reply seems to have been eaten!  We do not pay tax on food at the grocery store unless it is a prepared food such as fried chicken, etc.  We do pay tax on paper products and toiletries.  That tax is 6%.  There is also no tax on clothing that is considered a necessity.  Bathing suits apparently aren't a necessity so they are taxed.  That tax is also 6%.

Denise

We have a 8% sales tax on all non-essential items - eggs, milk, bread essentials - pop non-essentials

clothing is 4.75% I believe

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »
I wasn't sure what ours was now (it changed in July), so I looked it up, and this is what Wikipedia says (edited):

Virginia has a sales tax rate of 5.30% (4.3% state tax and 1% local tax). An additional 0.7% state tax is applied in the Northern Virginia region - Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park; and Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William (I grew up in Fairfax County, and we just moved out of Arlington).

Consumers are taxed on every 'eligible food item.' For example, fresh local produce sold at farmers markets and grocery stores, or basic, unprepared cold grocery foods, are taxed 2.5% (1.5% state tax and 1% local tax).[159] Cities and counties may also charge an additional "Food and Beverage Tax" on restaurant meals, up to an additional 4% in counties and 6.5% in cities.[160] Virginia also has a tax on alcohol of 11.5%.

Interesting stuff!

M :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
We have no tax on food in Ohio.  There is tax on sodas, etc.  Our tax is at 7% which varies year to year, depending on the local issues. 

My oldest daughter lives in Franklin, TN now, they have a 9% tax on everything, including food but no state tax....I thought that was interesting....
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
We have no tax on food in Ohio.  There is tax on sodas, etc.  Our tax is at 7% which varies year to year, depending on the local issues. 

My oldest daughter lives in Franklin, TN now, they have a 9% tax on everything, including food but no state tax....I thought that was interesting....

I remember this from Ohio.  And if I remember correctly, if you buy say McDonald's, the food there isn't taxed either but the soft drink is.  Or has that changed since I moved away?

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
no tax on food unless its prepared food at a restaurant. 

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
It's still the same Catherine!  There is no tax on fast food only your drink!  We love their sweet tea thats $1, it rings up for $1.07! 
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »
Isn't it interesting how different it can be from place to place?

Michigan has a 6% tax on everything except food.  The only time food it taxed is when you get it at a restaurant. 
No special taxes on "naughty" food here.  At least not yet, but who knows!  It has been 6% for a long time, so I imagine we are in for an increase in the not so near future.

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
Just looked at one of my receipts. We are taxed 4.7% for food and 7.7% for everything else. It seems like we are about taxed to death.  :(  No wonder new taxes of any sort seldom pass on the ballot.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
Food and drink items are 0 percent.
Non-food is 7 percent.
Restaurant food is 9 percent, I believe.