The Barn and Fields > Animals and Homesteading

Pets

(1/8) > >>

shedrinkzcoffee:
Out of curiosity I was wondering about what kinds of pets we all have and thought it would be fun to make a thread for it.

We have 2 dogs.. a 9 year old English Pointer named Ammo (she's a girl but everyone thinks she is a boy because of her name, lol) and a 5 month old Chihuahua named Sophie.  She's my baby and Ammo is my DH's girl  :)

We have a 3 toed box turtle named Jack.  I am deciding whether to hibernate him or not this year.  He's trying to burrow so I think he wants to but he is new to us and they say that sometimes when you have not had them long it may be best to keep them awake and hibernate them next year.  I'm torn on this.

And last we have a fish tank with fish that keep having babies.  Its insane!  Brandon says all the big ones (about 15 of them) are named Mr Rogers, the medium one is Sheila and the little one is Caboose.

mooremama:
Fun thread!!  :D

We have 3 dogs...a pit bull named Jacob Levi "Jake", a pit bull named Bonnie Frances and a Boxer named Ellie Mae. 

We also have 2 turkeys that I guess you could consider pets because Lainey named them so they will not be part of our Thanksgiving meal.  They are Winona and Fiona.  They follow us around like dogs and will eat out of our hands.  They can be annoying  :P

We have 2 goats, Jack and Jill. 

We do have a bunch of chickens but only 2 have names....Lucy and Ethel.

We also have a chameleon named Rango.

Lainey and Aaron also catch all types of creepy/crawlies and keep them in terrariums and critter cages for days.  They research and learn all about them.  We feed them and build habitats for them and then after a week or so, they are turned loose.  So I guess you could consider them "short term" pets.  ;)

Beth

MissMandy:
Super fun thread!  As many of you know, we just lost BOTH of our pups this summer.  Emmett (mutt) was 13 and I'd had him for 12 years, and he died on August 10th after a long battle with cancer.  Graham (Cocker Spaniel) was 11 and I had had him for 10 years, and he died on September 27th after going into renal failure.  Needless to say our house is QUIET now!

What many do not yet know is that just a few days after Graham's passing (October 2nd) we submitted our application to the local Irish Wolfhound Rescue.  I had wanted an IW for years, but never thought that I would be in a position to actually get one - no kids, no other pets, a single family home with property, able to be at home most all day every day, a willing spouse ;).  Irish wolfhounds are the tallest dog breed, standing about 30-35" at the shoulder (and around 7' when on their hind legs) and weighing in at around 105-150 pounds.  They are basically small horses, and I can't WAIT to bring one home ;D!!!

M

mooremama:
How exciting Mandy!!!

150 lbs. is a lot of dog!! 

I can't wait to see pictures  ;D

Do they have many medical issues being so big?

Beth

MissMandy:

--- Quote from: mooremama on November 22, 2013, 10:05:40 AM ---How exciting Mandy!!!

150 lbs. is a lot of dog!! 

I can't wait to see pictures  ;D

Do they have many medical issues being so big?

Beth

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah...  There are some restrictions that have to be put into place when they are puppies as far as walking and exercise, so that their huge bones can develop properly.  Later on there are some issues that are common in giant breeds, and in general they only live around 8-10 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version