Author Topic: Pets  (Read 10159 times)

shedrinkzcoffee

Pets
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
Out of curiosity I was wondering about what kinds of pets we all have and thought it would be fun to make a thread for it.

We have 2 dogs.. a 9 year old English Pointer named Ammo (she's a girl but everyone thinks she is a boy because of her name, lol) and a 5 month old Chihuahua named Sophie.  She's my baby and Ammo is my DH's girl  :)

We have a 3 toed box turtle named Jack.  I am deciding whether to hibernate him or not this year.  He's trying to burrow so I think he wants to but he is new to us and they say that sometimes when you have not had them long it may be best to keep them awake and hibernate them next year.  I'm torn on this.

And last we have a fish tank with fish that keep having babies.  Its insane!  Brandon says all the big ones (about 15 of them) are named Mr Rogers, the medium one is Sheila and the little one is Caboose.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
Fun thread!!  :D

We have 3 dogs...a pit bull named Jacob Levi "Jake", a pit bull named Bonnie Frances and a Boxer named Ellie Mae. 

We also have 2 turkeys that I guess you could consider pets because Lainey named them so they will not be part of our Thanksgiving meal.  They are Winona and Fiona.  They follow us around like dogs and will eat out of our hands.  They can be annoying  :P

We have 2 goats, Jack and Jill. 

We do have a bunch of chickens but only 2 have names....Lucy and Ethel.

We also have a chameleon named Rango.

Lainey and Aaron also catch all types of creepy/crawlies and keep them in terrariums and critter cages for days.  They research and learn all about them.  We feed them and build habitats for them and then after a week or so, they are turned loose.  So I guess you could consider them "short term" pets.  ;)

Beth
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:24:45 PM by mooremama »
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
Super fun thread!  As many of you know, we just lost BOTH of our pups this summer.  Emmett (mutt) was 13 and I'd had him for 12 years, and he died on August 10th after a long battle with cancer.  Graham (Cocker Spaniel) was 11 and I had had him for 10 years, and he died on September 27th after going into renal failure.  Needless to say our house is QUIET now!

What many do not yet know is that just a few days after Graham's passing (October 2nd) we submitted our application to the local Irish Wolfhound Rescue.  I had wanted an IW for years, but never thought that I would be in a position to actually get one - no kids, no other pets, a single family home with property, able to be at home most all day every day, a willing spouse ;).  Irish wolfhounds are the tallest dog breed, standing about 30-35" at the shoulder (and around 7' when on their hind legs) and weighing in at around 105-150 pounds.  They are basically small horses, and I can't WAIT to bring one home ;D!!!

M
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:58:30 AM by MissMandy »
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
How exciting Mandy!!!

150 lbs. is a lot of dog!! 

I can't wait to see pictures  ;D

Do they have many medical issues being so big?

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
How exciting Mandy!!!

150 lbs. is a lot of dog!! 

I can't wait to see pictures  ;D

Do they have many medical issues being so big?

Beth

Oh yeah...  There are some restrictions that have to be put into place when they are puppies as far as walking and exercise, so that their huge bones can develop properly.  Later on there are some issues that are common in giant breeds, and in general they only live around 8-10 years.
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline hen41500

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
I had to google the Irish Wolfhound...absolutely beautiful dogs!     WE have 2 misses in the house. The elder is an 8 yr old DAsh-Tzu, which is a dach shund/shi Tzu mix and the trouble maker is a 3 yr old miniature dalmation  dach shund.  They are on our thankful list everyday because of the entertainment they provide!

~Heather~

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
Fun thread!

Mandy, I have wanted an Irish Wolfhound for probably 12-15 years now.  They are truly "gentle giants".  One day.  Right now we are trying not to add anything else to our family to feed.  :P

We have Buck, a tricolor smooth coat Border Collie, about 3.5-4 years old (we celebrate his b-day with Max's).  And we also have an Ellie Mae, our 11 YO "mutt" though we know her mixed parentage.  Mom was a beagle/tree walker mix and dad was a lab. 

As for cats, we are "down" to five.  Simba is our 15 YO stub-tailed girl.  Our vet gave her to us as a tiny kitten as she wanted her to go to a home who would care for her tail injury.  It was broken off during her birth and she needed to be on meds for several weeks as it healed.  Simba has beautiful brown "Bengal" type markings though I don't think she is that breed.

Tabitha is a grey tabby, 14 years old.  I got her from an ad in the paper as a tiny kitten.  She's kind of grouchy and was diagnosed with kidney failure about 3 years ago.  We switched her to a corn/soy/wheat-free food and she has done surprisingly well.

Sassy is 10 years old.  Our vet calls her a "squirrel tabby".  She has the browns and a bit of orange all mottled together (but not a tortie) and is extremely soft.  We call her the $1000 cat due to the CAT scan (haha) she had to have several years back due to a massive sinus infection that they suspected was tumor.  She was given strong antibiotics for that for several weeks and, we believe (the vet too), suffered a stroke, possibly due to the meds.  So, she walks with her head cocked a bit sideways.  She gets extremely cuddly after ingesting catnip.

Pumpkin and Nutmeg are biological sisters, now 8 years old.  If you were on the boards long ago you may remember that we had put in an offer on a rural home on 3 acres about 30 miles from here near the town where we used to live.  It came with 2 llamas, a goat, and a sheep, lol.  The people had moved out and these stray cats were living there.  We took the kittens home (there was a third sister dead in the road).  The man's wife passed away and he asked us to let him out of the agreement, so we didn't get the house but ended up with two cats.  Pumpkin is a beautiful female orange tabby (those are quite rare) with a medium coat but fluffy long-haired tail.  She is average weight and very active (I've seen her run across the neighbor's roof, lol).  Nutmeg is a "torbie", tortie tabby, very large but also very fluffy.  She absolutely never goes out (has tiptoed out the back door but runs back in ) and is my special buddy.  She sleeps next to my shoulders at night.  She is addicted to hunting slippers and likes to pile them up around the house.  She does this funny chirping sound as she carries them around.  If you are familiar with Maine Coon cats, she looks like one and must have some in her ancestry.

Next up is Zoe, the English Spot rabbit.  She is black and white, mostly white body with black spots, black ears, and a Hitleresque moustache. 

Bear is our Djungarian hamster.  Sweetest little guy you ever met.  Might weigh two ounces this time of year as he plumps up.

And then there are the chickens.  They all have names but I won't list them all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:36:18 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Fun thread!! :D

I am 'owned' by my very favorite cat in the world, Tiki.  She's 10 years old and is a cantankerous tortie.  She's my baby.

We also have Lily & Tabby (we bottle fed these 2 starting when they were orphaned at 9 days old), CallieCocoaPuffs, Danny, & Twizzler.  Danny & Twizzler are barn cats, the others are 'house' kitties.

Emily has 2 dogs - Buddy and Blackie.

The chickens are all named.  The roosters are Randy & Corolla.  The hens are Charlotte, Dottie, Domino, Lexie, Lexus, Goldie, Roseanne, Buffy, High Top, Little Tip, Fuzzy, Sassy, and Lollipop.

Love reading about everyone's pets! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »
This is a fun thread.   ;D We have 2 cats, both were dumped on us.Callie is an 8 year old long haired calico. She is my baby! She is wherever I am. Aeris is a short haired calico. She is not as loveable as Callie. Also, Aeris is 7 years old. Jon gave her the name, Aeris. It was the character on some game he was playing at the time. LOL

We have a little pom named Buddy. He is so attached to Kevin that he shakes when Kevin leaves. We have taught him to catch a ball and also chase one and bring it back to us. He is just a sweetheart. We also have an old beagle named Thunder. She is 17 years old, but still gets around pretty good.

We have 3 barred rock hens, 7 buff orpington/barred rock cross pullets and 3 young roos. My pullets are just starting to lay!

If all goes well, we will soon be getting a 7 month old pom named Angel. :-)

Blessings,
Winona

Beth, first time I have ever heard of Turkey named Winona. LOL I wonder if she likes quits?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:43:41 PM by MoWin »
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
Wow!  Some of you have and have had a lot of pets.  We only have Mindy, a three year old Shih Tzu (her birthday was this past Sunday which is also Zachary's birthday). 

Molly has wanted a dog since she could say the word dog and Doug finally told her she could get one if she could save up the money for the adoption fee.  In one year, she had saved $600!!!!!!!  We looked around for about 6 months and one day Doug's aunt asked if we wanted the dog they had just adopted.  Her and her husband decided that they were not home enough and it wouldn't be fair for them to keep her.  They just asked that we pay them the money they had paid for her adoption which was $400.  They also gave us her crate and everything they had for her.

Mindy is the PERFECT dog for us.  She was only one when we got her and we were the fourth home she had had if you count her foster home plus she was in a shelter for a bit.  She was nervous and shy at first and it took her over a year to consistently come to us when she needed to go out but I knew her behavior was all because she had been moved around so often.  While she still has the occasional accident, she almost always makes it outside before she goes.

Mindy likes to be carried around like a baby, sleeps in bed with Molly and pretty much sleeps for as long as Molly does and loves every single person she meets.  She likes nothing better than to just sit on the couch snuggled up beside you.  While Molly is her owner, I am her mommy.  Mindy considers everyone else her brothers and sisters - including Doug!  She listens to everyone but sometimes, she looks at me when they tell her to do something as if she is asking me if she really has to do it!

Molly would love another dog but one is enough for us for right now.  Plus while Mindy doesn't seem to mind other dogs, I think she might be jealous if we got another dog.

Denise

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
I love reading about everyone's pets.  :)

We have two dogs. Oreo, a border collie, is 4 years old and super smart.  He looks after things around here.  His sidekick is Tessa, a German shepherd/Aussie shepherd cross.  She is timid at times, but is also very maternal.  She LOVES cats as well as people.  She treats the cats as if they were her puppies, grooming them and even sharing her food with them.  The cats know better than to try that with Oreo. 

We have three cats, Meeko, who,we were told, is part Maine Coon and has the long shaggy fur, Dominic, a tabby, and Scout,, a female calico who is just about a year old. Scout thinks she is a dog, probably because she was "raised" by Tessa. She will follow the dogs outside, and will actually come when we whistle for the dogs. It is pretty funny because she is so small that her little legs have a hard time keeping up with the much larger dogs. We also have two leopard geckos, Smiles and Chuckles.

Outside we have three miniature goats, Sparkle, Grace, and Pippin. We got them in July.  They were afraid of the dogs at first, but as it turns out they are quite fond of Tessa.  We have three pekin ducks, the male is Disco and the females are not named. We also have two turkeys (not named) and 56 chickens. A few are named, mainly the ones that aren't red stars (they all look alike).  We have a lot of different breeds and a lot of barnyard mixes too.  Our roosters are Arthur, Lance, Clyde, Riker (an EE with a beard, Star Trek reference  ;D ) and the Dread Rooster Robert. Some of the girls are Pookie (one of our first chickens, she is nearly 5 years old but still laying), Emily, Edie, Rosie 2, Buffy, Sunshine, Rumpy, My Favourite Chicken (she used to perch on my shoulder), Macy and Roz.  We used to have a lot more that were named but we had a coyote attack last year and lost a lot of our favourites.  >:(

We love our animals, even the livestock are pets. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline CarolynE

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
We have 7 dogs! One shih tzu Misty who is 6 yrs, 3 pomeranians, Lacey 5, Tanzia 4, Pepricka 3 all females and 3 rescue Chihuahua's Bella who is 9 years old and weighs 1lb, 8 oz, Teaka 7 yrs, 2lbs and Talia 2 years old and a bit bigger at about 6 lbs.I love them all dearly. We also have 2 cats orange peal and tangerine and a rabbit cosmo and a cockateil named Pikachu, who loves to talk and sing.  That's it for now or I'll have to get a bigger house ;D  Carolyn

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
We have two labs. The older one is Sheba, our black lab. Daisy is our yellow lab. Sheba is Daisy's mama. I want a Saint Bernard one day when we have less children at home.

We have chickens but they are not pets. We thin k of meat rabbits or a hog or two sometimes but strictly for meat as well.

Offline MN_Mom

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »
Fun!
We have a Beta fish named Velma, two chickens named Macie and Nelson, and one guinea hen named CeCe.

DD would LOVE to have a pug dog, but we have resisted. Maybe one day.....  ;)
Lisa living in MN

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
We have several pets around our place.  We have two dogs.  The oldest, Yeller, is about 9, he is a lab/blue heeler.  We can't remember what year we got him as a puppy.  Josie has a dog that is 2 1/2 years old, Gilligan, a black lab/mutt. 

The girls each have a cat.  RaeAnne's cat, Bottle brush, is about 10 years old.  Yes, that is his name.  He was dropped off at our place as a kitten.  His tail would always stick up straight and the fur stuck out like a bottle brush.  Emily's cat is about 11.  He was dropped off at the corner and Harold rescued him.  Rascals is deaf in one ear.  Last year when Emily went to college he was very sad.  I never thought a cat would miss his owner so much.  Josie's cat is about 4.  She picked him up along the river bank where someone had dumped him and his siblings along with an open bag of kitten food.  He is a long haired black and white cat.  Chet, is a wild cat and we don't see him a whole lot.  He lives down in the kids shack in the drain ditch.

Our last "pet" is Hector.  Hector is a meat bird from last year.  Hector came to us with one eye and a cooked beak that makes it hard to eat.  Emily nursed him to health and didn't want us to butcher her.  She will occasionally lay an egg.  We do have another 4 or 5 layers with a rooster named Brewster.