Author Topic: Pets  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Cathie

Re: Pets
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
love this!!
love reading everyones lovies and lovies to be  ;D :-*

we have 2 cats
 a very very large (not fat), although I do call him fat cat, orange tabby named Thomas O'Malley
a smaller but still fairly large black cat named Luc

we also have a new to us Golden Retriever - she needed a home and came to live with us at the end of June - her name is Reena-Bell

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
We have 2 dogs, Ronan, an Australian Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix, and Sam, a Lab mix. 3 cats, Stryper and Chip, both about 10 yrs old and are Manx cats. Simon is a tuxedo, and I just rescued an orange and white kitten that I named Daisy. An African Grey parrot, Coco, and a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, Angel. Someday I hope to have a Red Heeler or a Corgi. Love those breeds of dogs!

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:49 AM »
We have two dogs, a pit bull named Jade and a chihuahua, Punkin. Jade was a rescue so we dont know her exact age but the vet estimates that she is about 10. Punkin is 8. I love these two so much! We have fish and Chad has an iguana named Newton. I will not touch Newton. He scares me! But I wish him no harm ;)
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
I had a really rough weekend. We got the little Pom named Angel on Saturday night. It was a disaster. He had had no training whatsoever. He peed everywhere all the time. I could take him out, he would do his thing, bring him in and he would hike a leg. The only way I could control him was to have him sit on my lap. Now he is a 10 month old male. He and Buddy snarled and snapped at each other. Buddy was very jealous. My cats hated him so much. Saturday night was horrible. I did not get any sleep at all. I listened to growling, snapping, barking, and hissing all night long. When I got up Sunday morning, I had pee everywhere and also cat litter. It was not pleasant. I brought the crate over and fixed him a bed. The crate or my lap was the only way to control him. My cats ran out early Sunday morning when I took the dogs out and refused to come back in. I was beside myself with worry, because it was 10*. I had a melt down and cried for quite a while, before Kevin finally said we had to return him. So I took him back to Jon and Kim's. I was crying, but my wonderful boy put his arms around me and said, 'Mom, it is ok, no big deal. We will find him a new home.' Angel is a sweet dog, but I just couldn't deal with the stress right now. I had to scrub and disinfect my whole house. Buddy will be an only in-house dog. I felt like a failure last night, but after a good night's sleep, I am feeling better. I am praying they find an understanding and patient person who can work with Angel. I just couldn't do it at this time.  Since I had talked about getting a new dog, I figured I should explain it here.  :'(

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
I am sorry you had such a hard time, Winona.  It sounds as though Angel was marking his territory and trying to be the number one dog.  He is probably a dog that will do better in a home where he is the only dog or even the only pet.  And that is in no way a failure on your part!  Some dogs love other dogs and some just do not.  It is ok.  He will find someone to love him.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
I'm sorry it didn't work out, Winona.  Sounds like you made the best decision.

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
We have a cairn terrier (same breed as Toto in Wizard of Oz)  named Dixie and two budgies (parakeets) named  Tiki and skittles.

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
We have 5 pets.  4 cats and 1 bunny. 

Cats:

Qui-gon Jinn - Siamese  13 years old
Oreo - Tuxedo 13 years old
Snickers - Long hair tabby 7 years
Leia - long hair orange tabby - with fur softer than a bunny -  7 years

Bunny - Bernie and she is 9 weeks old

I'll post pictures in a bit
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:49:39 PM by Shelly »
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Shelly any advice on rabbits? I was thinking about getting a couple, more as pets than for meat to get the kids use to having more animals around and taking care of them. I would really like to have chickens but hubby works at a chicken plant right now so we are prohibited to own them and don't have a fence for any larger animals right now.

We have our 2nd dog ever since having kids his name is Lucky Kentucky, a shitzu maltese mix that is almost 6 months old.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
Shelly any advice on rabbits?

Make sure you really really know the genders before you put 2 together.  Sexing bunnies can be difficult.  We had a buck years back that we thought was a female until he hit puberty.  Thankfully he was alone in his hutch at the time.  We did breed him later, but we got to choose when  :)
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »
Yes! great advice, I want two rabbits not many rabbits.. I want 2 bc I feel like one will be lonely, maybe I will just get a double cage so they can visit thru the wire lol.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
It's a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to update our pet situation :).  Last weekend we walked in the Old Town Alexandria St. Patrick's Day Parade with the local Irish Wolfhound Club/Rescue.  We've had our name on the rescue list since right after Graham died last fall, but this was our first time meeting with the members/officers and really getting our faces seen.  That was definitely intentional! 

We made a lot of headway and got a lot of information, and we may end up going to a breeder.  As you can imagine, these dogs are few and far between, so they rarely show up in the rescue (which is great!).  Breeders don't usually breed the dogs to sell them since they are such a large breed, but rather they breed them to show. However, it seems that in each litter there are a few that are not 'show quality', and so we may be able to 'rescue' one of these little guys (since we have no desire to show or to breed).

Whichever way it turns out, we had a WONDERFUL time with the pups and getting to know the fur-parents ;D.  Here are a few photos from the day (featuring 10-year old 'Oweny'):

'You want to come home with me, big guy??'

We got to be the banner-carriers!

Absolute HEAVEN!

Love...

This one makes me cry a little bit!
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »
Reviving this old thread...again...but with exciting news:

We're pet owners again!!!    We're pet owners again!!!   We're pet owners again!!!

As those of you on Facebook may have seen, we've been going through the process of adopting a wolfhound.  First one had to be found, and then we had to be approved, including a site/home inspection.  A pup was found that won't ever be shown (due to a healed spinal injury affecting his gait), and the application and inspection process went well, and we got the news last night that we were approved!  So, we're packing up to head to MI to pick him up.  We are so, so excited to have a pup in the home again :)

Here are a few photos:

Me with our 'puppy-proofing' test dog (the inspector's 2-year old, 'Lido')

Our new boy

Another of our new babe, the first time he stood up on his own after his injury (several weeks ago) :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:45:47 AM by MissMandy »
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
Congratulations, Mandy!!!!!!!!!!!   I'm so happy for you! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »
Congratulations! The doggies are so cute and love the pics!