Author Topic: Salad Dressings and Vinagrettes  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Salad Dressings and Vinagrettes
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
I'm starting to carry my salad-in-a-jar to work each day and I really want some good home-made dressings. I like creamy but I also like sweet/sour but not too oily. I looked through the recipe section and didn't see a topic for dressings. Could you all share your favorites here for me. I have a good one for French and Thousand Island but I want to expand my horizons. Don't limit yourselves to non-oily ones because this should be a section for everyone to participate in. I can't wait to hear what you might offer.

My salad today is in a jar that had sweet and sour red cabbage in it from Aldi's and the lid has a pretty purple and white checked lid. It is a bit bigger that the pint and smaller than the quart. I thought the quart was too large for my salad lunch.  I have ranch on the bottom, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, one diced egg, and finally the lettuce. It is such a pretty looking jar of salad!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

Re: Salad Dressings and Vinagrettes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
The only one that I make myself isn't a creamy one.  It is a basic Italian dressing.  This is what I use, but you can really tweak this one until you get the consistency and taste that you like.

Olive Oil
Apple Cider Vinegar
Water
Lemon juice
sugar
Italian seasoning mix (If you prefer this to be fresh, just cut up some actual garlic, basil, thyme, oregano and add a little onion powder)

I don't have exact measurements with it because this is one that you adjust to what tastes good to you.  You may have to try a few batches before you get one you actually like.

Could you post your recipe for the French dressing, that is my family's favorite if given a choice.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
I like the copy cat Olive Garden dressing

1 c mayo
2/3 c vinegar
2 tsp oil
4 TBSP corn syrup
8 TBSP cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp Parsley
2 TBSP lemon juice

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:16:47 AM »
I make most of my own salad dressings.  One I recently stumbled across and really like is a bit unusual.  It uses the end of the mayonnaise jar. 

When you get to the bottom of the jar, you add the following ingredients:

Lemon juice or vinegar - whichever kind you have on hand or like
A pinch of salt and pepper
A bit of sugar if you wish
Olive oil
Seasoning and spices of your choice

Adidas much or as little of each ingredient as you like and shake.  I pour this into a glass jar after mixing because it looks nicer.  You really can make this into any flavor you like.  I have even made it Asian by adding rice wine vinegar and a drop of toasted sesame seed oil to it.

I also do something similar with the end of preserve/jam jars.  I add red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and olive oil and shake.

Both recipes make yummy dressings and use up those last little bits of the jar that you can't reach.

Denise

Offline 4kidsmom

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
Cilantro Ranch Dressing (great with the Cafe Rio shredded pork recipe in the Crockpot and Main Entrees sections)

1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing mix
2 T. salsa verde
dash Tabasco
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 cloves garlic
3/4 C. mayonnaise
3/4 C. sour cream
1/2 C. buttermilk
juice of 1 lime

Blend all in a blender.