Author Topic: Garbanzo beans/chickpeas--Ingredient of the day 11/25  (Read 6023 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Garbanzo beans/chickpeas--Ingredient of the day 11/25
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »
How about.....garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas?

I have used them in a 3-bean "salsa" thing which I really need to make again sometime.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:41:12 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cathie

Re: Ingredient of the day 11/25
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
we don't use them

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
I use chickpeas often when I cook.  I use them to make:

1.  Hummus

2.  Curried Chickpea salad - mash chickpeas, add mayo and curry powder to taste.  Use to make sandwiches much like tuna or chicken salad.  You can also make a regular chickpea salad without the curry.  You could also add diced celery, pickle, etc.  Whatever you would add to tuna or chicken salad, you can add to this.

3.  Chickpea cutlets - a recipe I found in a vegan cookbook.  I make them up and freeze them so I have a protein for dinner when I make chicken, etc. for everyone else.  They are good with gravy as well as other condiments such as ketchup, honey mustard, etc.

4.  Chickpea piccata - another recipe from a vegan cookbook.  Sort of a chickpea stew with a nice lemony flavor that I serve over mashed potatoes.

5.  I haven't tried this yet but I know you can use chickpeas in Indian food such as curry, etc.  I am sure there are many recipes to be found online.

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:12 AM »
Hummus (LOVE!) and roasted chickpeas.

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:25 AM »
Hummus (LOVE!) and roasted chickpeas.

M

do you have a recipe Mandy - I've always wanted to try that

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
I use chickpeas often when I cook.  I use them to make:

1.  Hummus

2.  Curried Chickpea salad - mash chickpeas, add mayo and curry powder to taste.  Use to make sandwiches much like tuna or chicken salad.  You can also make a regular chickpea salad without the curry.  You could also add diced celery, pickle, etc.  Whatever you would add to tuna or chicken salad, you can add to this.

3.  Chickpea cutlets - a recipe I found in a vegan cookbook.  I make them up and freeze them so I have a protein for dinner when I make chicken, etc. for everyone else.  They are good with gravy as well as other condiments such as ketchup, honey mustard, etc.

4.  Chickpea piccata - another recipe from a vegan cookbook.  Sort of a chickpea stew with a nice lemony flavor that I serve over mashed potatoes.

5.  I haven't tried this yet but I know you can use chickpeas in Indian food such as curry, etc.  I am sure there are many recipes to be found online.

Denise

want to share some of these recipes Denise - they sound yummy

no one else would eat them but I could make it just for me  ;)

Offline hen41500

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »
my husband makes Falafel in big batches, then freezes them individually so we can just drop them in the hot oil and eat when we want on flat bread. Truly a healthy and fast alternative ;)

~Heather~

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:20:38 AM »
hummus and they are also a nice addition to some soups

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
I don't have a 'go-to' recipe, as I've used a few different ones in the past.  I would say Pinterest is the way to go:

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=roasted%20chickpeas

M :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Garbanzo beans/chickpeas--Ingredient of the day 11/25
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
Just modified the title to include the name of the ingredient of the day.  That way, a month from now or whatever, if we're looking for ideas for a specific food, it will be easier to find without knowing the exact date it was up.  Make sense?

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
Just modified the title to include the name of the ingredient of the day.  That way, a month from now or whatever, if we're looking for ideas for a specific food, it will be easier to find without knowing the exact date it was up.  Make sense?

yep!  perfect!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:45:22 AM »
I don't have a 'go-to' recipe, as I've used a few different ones in the past.  I would say Pinterest is the way to go:

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=roasted%20chickpeas

M :)

thanks  :-*

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
We don't typically have these.

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »
Love them as  a salad topper.  They are especially good with a creamy Italian dressing.

~Blessings~
  Cindy