Author Topic: Cabbage-ingredient of the day--11/29  (Read 1811 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Cabbage-ingredient of the day--11/29
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
I don't use this delicious veggie as much as I should, considering it's low cost and high health benefits.  But we do eat it sauteed with or without onions, occasionally as cabbage rolls, in things like egg rolls, etc... .   Once in a great while I make an Asian coleslaw (I don't like the other kind).

Offline jrejhkids

Re: Cabbage-ingredient of the day--11/29
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »
We use cabbage a lot as a salad, just cut it up and use like lettuce.  We will put it on tacos, make cabbage stew, or sometimes even in a casserole.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
We like it sauteed with onions and a little bacon grease.  We also use it in egg rolls, cole slaw, and soups.

I have never thought of using it like lettuce.  I'll have to give that a try. :)  Cabbage is something I did not really like until I was an adult.  Now I wish I'd enjoyed it sooner.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline hen41500

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
we do egg rolls as well and my hubby LOVES oriental noodles which is just cooked fettucini noodles, sauted with a little oil & soy sauce then add in cabbage/carrots/onions/peas....etc for 2-3 mins.
occasionally we will have cole slaw, but I absolutely hate cleaning the food processor so we don't do this as much ::)

~Heather~

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
This is another of my favorite veggies! We loved plain cooked cabbage with butter. We also use it in eggrolls, stir fry, soups.  It was one of my favorite items to grow in my garden often more that 20 cabbages. I would freeze them and have cabbage all winter long.  My favorite kind of cabbage is the chinese cabbage as it tends to be more tender and more buttery tasting.  Even my kids will eat cabbage happily. 

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I feel I should use this more often, too.  I make cole slaw; a variation of cole slaw with grated Granny Smith apple in it; sautéed with butter and a little onion and sautéed with onions, peppers and grated carrots to make peanut noodles.  I occasionally use the purple cabbage to make a variation on slaw to serve on fish tacos.

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
I like it.
No one else in my house does
So needless to
Say we don't use it

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
We like it in stews and soups, and I had a recipe I used to make with sausage, apples and cabbage that was delicious. Thanks for the reminder, Catherine. I'll have to look for that recipe.

In the summer we like cole slaw a lot. When I planted lots of cabbage in the garden, I would dehydrate it and use it all winter long.

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:34 AM »
Adding this recipe that I finally tried last night:  http://www.intentionallydomestic.com/day-off-eggroll-in-a-bowl/  With my food processor being broken, I had bought two bags of coleslaw mix to avoid shredding the cabbage (doubled the recipe).  But now that I have a new one, I will compare pricing on shredding my own or buying the mix.  The mix sure made it quick and easy.  This stuff was so good that my hubby agreed we should have it twice a month.  And it really stretches the meat.  Even a double batch only used 1 lb of ground beef.

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
I like to make cabbage burgers and keep them in the freezer for a quick lunch.  Our family also has a traditional holiday dish.  I remember my great grandmother making it for Christmas and Thanksgiving.  It is boiled cabbage layered with white sauce and topped with crushed saltine crackers and bits of butter.  I bake it for about 30 minutes at 350.  It doesn't sound like much but it sure is good.

~Blessings~
  Cindy