Author Topic: Sweet potatoes-ingredient of the day--11/30  (Read 2519 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Sweet potatoes-ingredient of the day--11/30
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »
Maybe like me, you have some leftover from Thanksgiving (not prepared).  I bought 10 lbs but then our guests volunteered to bring sweet potato casserole so I still have 10 lbs.  That's okay...we will use and enjoy them!

My most common uses are baked and eaten as a side dish and sweet potato casserole.  But we love sweet potato fries so I plan to try my hand at those (usually buy Alexia pre-cut ones).  They will be baked.  Also, saw a recipe on THM but unfortunately it's not a link, just a post.  That lady used her spiralizer to cut them, then shook them in a mix of a teeny bit of olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic and baked them for 15-18 minutes.  I am going to try that as I've mostly used my spiralizer for zucchini "noodles" so far.

I also have this simple economical soup on my menu this month:  http://simplybeingmum.com/2010/11/08/simple-spinach-and-sweet-potato-soup-slow-cooker-recipe/

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Re: Sweet potatoes-ingredient of the day--11/30
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:00:14 AM »
Sweet potatoes are mostly a treat for me and my husband since the kids don't care for them at all. We only buy them once in a while and mostly just mash them. We have tried fries but they seem to stick to our teeth and remain soft. If we cook them longer, they get too hard to chew.  Oh, we bake them since we don't do fried foods in our home.  We mostly use butternut squash if we want a sweet potato craving filled. It doesn't make fries but it does make a good mash. 

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:26:49 AM »
Same here - we like them baked with a little bit of real butter and made into a casserole topped with pecans.  Sweet potato pie is good too, but that's a rare treat around here.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »
Same here...either baked and topped with butter, cinnamon and sugar as a side dish or made into a casserole.

I have had sweet potato fries once or twice and didn't care for them either.  I just don't think of sweet potatoes as being savory.  :-\

Beth

Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »
I use sweet potatoes often.  I bake them and top them with brown sugar and butter.  I make oven baked fries with them by slicing them and then tossing them with olive oil, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon and chili powder.  I sometimes mix a regular potato in there, too.  I also use them in black bean and sweet potato chili as well as a soup that also has carrot, apple and lentils.  I also have a vegan cookbook that has an awesome recipe for sweet potato biscuits which I make when we have veggie potpie stew.

Denise

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
I make a sweet potato, bacon and egg salad that I really enjoy having for lunch.

Here is the link to it..  http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/sweet-potato-bacon-and-egg-salad/

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
I need to get out of my box and try some of these savory sweet potato recipes.   ::)

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
Beth - When I make sweet potato fries, they aren't too savory because I use a bit of brown sugar on them.  The soup I make is also a bit sweet because of the apples and carrots.

Denise

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
I use sweet potatoes often.  I bake them and top them with brown sugar and butter.  I make oven baked fries with them by slicing them and then tossing them with olive oil, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon and chili powder.  I sometimes mix a regular potato in there, too.  I also use them in black bean and sweet potato chili as well as a soup that also has carrot, apple and lentils.  I also have a vegan cookbook that has an awesome recipe for sweet potato biscuits which I make when we have veggie potpie stew.

Denise

Denise, do you have a recipe for the black bean and sweet potato chili? Thanks!

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Jennie - I don't have a copy of the one I use.  I got mine from allrecipes.com and it is either in my recipe box on that site or I just type it in on their home page.  I hope you can find it on there!

Denise

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
Thanks, Denise. I'll look there.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Sunshine4Zach

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
This is really good recipe using sweet potatoes. http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-orzo-wit-158228

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 01:48:50 PM »
I have also made sweet potato quesadillas.  Definitely savory and I never could decide if I liked them or not!

Denise