Author Topic: Black beans--ingredient of the day--12/1  (Read 1502 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Black beans--ingredient of the day--12/1
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Hmm...I use these in a lentil soup I make (the one from Pennies and Pancakes), in that 3 bean salsa (with avocado) stuff, and as an ingredient in low-carb brownies.  And that's about it.

Offline Cheryl

Re: Black beans--ingredient of the day--12/1
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
I use these in taco salads, chili, soups, and sometimes in place of pintos or other beans served with cornbread.  I used to make a black bean burger that was good.  It's been so long that I don't even remember the recipe. ???
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:39:39 AM »
Again I'm The only one that likes them at my house so they don't get used often. 

Offline hen41500

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
we have also tried the black bean burgers, it didn't go over well. I also tried the black bean brownies, they were "ok" but wont be making them again. We have put black beans in salad a few times as well. It sounds like my crew is a lot like Cathie's with this particular food  :)  I know there is a black bean chili and I think I've read of using them in quesadillas but have never don't either.  This has got me thinking this morning!

~Heather~

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
Thought of another way we use them.  If I have the canned kind, I rinse and drain them and add them to diced cooked chicken, then season it for tacos.   Haven't done that in awhile...need to put it on the menu!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
Another ingredient I use often.  Black bean burgers, chili, burritos, salads, black bean soup, etc.

Denise

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
Our favorite way to use black beans is to cook them with some ham chunks and onions.  Cook until most of the water is gone and season with onion powder, garlic powder, a little cumin, and some pepper.  Then we serve them with rice, homemade tortillas, and scrambled eggs.

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
I use them in a chicken tortilla soup recipe the is a Chick-fil-A copycat, black bean ham soup, black bean sausage soup, and I make a black bean hummus that my guys love.