Author Topic: 21 Days  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Proudmama

Re: 21 Days
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 04:55:30 AM »
Beth - We make it a rule in our family that no one can buy themselves anything from the beginning of November until after Christmas!  I think you need that rule.  Or at least Aaron does!

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »
Cathie I started putting a bit of money away in an envelope at the start of jan last year. I had all my christmas money sitting in an envelope by the end of Aug.

It's a great feeling knowing I don't have to "find" money somewhere and I love that I had it ready. I couldn't put much away each time but it all adds up.

In case you're interested I added in the costs for any stamps for cards, paper, anything at all that I spend extra for at christmas so not just the gifts. Hope this helps  ;)

Yes Laurie that's great thanks.  I was adding all my costs including a real tree and baking supplies.  I think it's really going to help. What I am going to need is self control to NOT touch the money!!!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »
Oh well....

Aaron has already ordered himself a game cam and his girlfriend is getting him a $300 one for Christmas. 

Hmpph. 

I really am beginning to dislike Christmas.  >:(

Beth

I'm sorry Beth 😔

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
We've got that rule too Denise.   ::)

Just like we had the "no premarital sex" rule too.   :P

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »

Beth

;D ;) ;)

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 06:19:56 AM »

Beth

Ha!!!!  This made my day!  😜😂

Denise

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 06:26:08 AM »
Yeahhhh.....my kids are not known for following the rules.  ;D

If you want a bit of humor in your day, just look to us Moores.  We're like a 3 ring circus most days.  ;D  We were unloading at church on Sunday and Lainey said "Look at everybody looking at us...we must look like a clown car".  Yep, that was us....just like the clown car at the circus.  ;D 

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:56 AM »
Talked to my mom yesterday and stressed the urgency of needing Christmas ideas for her.  She said she'd like money towards a certain kind of shoes or restaurant gift cards.  I'm fine with that other than the fact that I can't stretch the dollars so much that way ($30 cash is $30 cash, no getting $40 worth out of it on my end, maybe she will when shopping for the shoes).

Left to buy:
Gift card for mom (or send money)
Stocking stuffer for Maddy (a slightly "bigger" thing since the other kids are getting electric toothbrushes)
Candy or something small to fill in stockings
Things for our adopted "family" here-have Chick-Fil-A calendars for the daughters and some things for the dad so far.

Earl and I decided not to buy for each other this year, just can't afford it, and that's ok.  We got to take a break from that last year and had fun shopping for each other, and hopefully once his VA money kicks in in May, maybe things will be better next Christmas and we can again.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
Yeahhhh.....my kids are not known for following the rules.  ;D

If you want a bit of humor in your day, just look to us Moores.  We're like a 3 ring circus most days.  ;D  We were unloading at church on Sunday and Lainey said "Look at everybody looking at us...we must look like a clown car".  Yep, that was us....just like the clown car at the circus.  ;D 

Beth

😂😂😂
At least the clowns are having fun 😜😂

Offline Cathie

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
Talked to my mom yesterday and stressed the urgency of needing Christmas ideas for her.  She said she'd like money towards a certain kind of shoes or restaurant gift cards.  I'm fine with that other than the fact that I can't stretch the dollars so much that way ($30 cash is $30 cash, no getting $40 worth out of it on my end, maybe she will when shopping for the shoes).

Left to buy:
Stocking stuffer for Maddy (a slightly "bigger" thing since the other kids are getting electric toothbrushes)
Things for our adopted "family" here-have Chick-Fil-A calendars for the daughters and some things for the dad so far.

Earl and I decided not to buy for each other this year, just can't afford it, and that's ok.  We got to take a break from that last year and had fun shopping for each other, and hopefully once his VA money kicks in in May, maybe things will be better next Christmas and we can again.

$30 is a lot Cath.  I'm sure she will be grateful with whatever you can do.  💋

I did end up getting Jay some small things but I think the kids will end up giving him the stuff - well except the Victoria Secrets bag 😜😂

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »

Left to buy:

I did end up getting Jay some small things but I think the kids will end up giving him the stuff - well except the Victoria Secrets bag 😜😂

I'm sure he will appreciate that.  ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
The upside to the snow/ice here is that I have no obligation to go anywhere again today.  We baked a batch of Wedding Cookies yesterday and set aside a container to put with my parents' package (my mom loves them).  I'd like to bake some other goodie or maybe two today, and then get their box packed up to mail on Monday so I can send it the cheapest way.

I think my biggest challenge at this point is thinking of ideas for the 24 and 27 YO gals who are so kind to my kids to go along with their calendars.  Since they both live at home and have jobs, they have ample spending money (or so it seems) and eat out frequently, get their nails done, etc... .  So those things don't seem like a luxury to them.  I'm still leaning toward $10 gift cards towards a local drive-in restaurant that's popular here, then maybe some cookies packaged up.  Their 25 YO sister is a bookworm and much more thrifty with her money (lives away from home and is preparing to be a missionary).  I have $17 left on a Barnes and Noble giftcard and we don't have a store here, so I'm going to see if I can find something for her or if it's possible to buy a smaller gift card with that since she could use it up where she lives.  Or maybe I could add enough to it to make it an even $20 and give it that way.

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »
I think my biggest challenge at this point is thinking of ideas for the 24 and 27 YO gals who are so kind to my kids to go along with their calendars. 

If you knit, this ear warmer makes up really quickly.  They are popular right now, and you get a lot of "bang for the buck" with something like this.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/its-a-cinch-head-wrap-and-collar

Here is a crochet one
http://cottonginstudios.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/complimentary-pattern-textured-headbandear-warmer/

I have made both of these and they are pretty.  You can do one in an evening.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:42:41 AM by RenKnitter »

Offline Cathie

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

Left to buy:

I'm sure he will appreciate that.  ;)

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah - me too  ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
I think my biggest challenge at this point is thinking of ideas for the 24 and 27 YO gals who are so kind to my kids to go along with their calendars. 

If you knit, this ear warmer makes up really quickly.  They are popular right now, and you get a lot of "bang for the buck" with something like this.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/its-a-cinch-head-wrap-and-collar

Here is a crochet one
http://cottonginstudios.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/complimentary-pattern-textured-headbandear-warmer/

I have made both of these and they are pretty.  You can do one in an evening.

That's cute, thanks!