Author Topic: Getting ready for the storm?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Getting ready for the storm?
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
If it's not already in your area, that is?  Looks like some of you up north will have lots of snow and cold temps.  It will be cold here (for here) but it looks like our area will mostly get ice.  I'd rather have snow because the ice tends to cause power outages.

Not really doing anything different.  I bought gas last time we had the threat of winter weather a couple of weeks ago and that time we only got snow so did not have the power go out.  We're well-stocked for food, though cooking can be problematic without power (we have an electric stove and those take too much wattage to use with the generator).  Worst-case scenario, we'll get out the camp stove.

Anybody else preparing?

Offline Cathie

Re: Getting ready for the storm?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
my new furnace is being installed today  ;D

I need to empty the fireplace and the ash bin

We have lots of food and will cook on the fireplace - we have generators but they often get taken cause they are needed for jobs so I can't count that we will have it

I need to get flashlight batteries and get a flashlight in everyone's room

We don't need water we live in the country so we will have water it just won't be warm  ;)

I do need to check the weather to see if we will get it or not but snow is normal from now till April so it's not as earth shattering around here

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
This is that big storm "Cleon"...guess it's big news primarily because it's affecting so much of the country compared to many storms.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:42 AM »
This is that big storm "Cleon"...guess it's big news primarily because it's affecting so much of the country compared to many storms.

apparently I need to watch or listen to the news  ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »

apparently I need to watch or listen to the news  ;)

Ha!  I look at TWC's website since we don't get tv...they seem to be updating state by state.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
Just about ready to head to Savannah to pick up a few things. We are basically ready for whatever. Kevin filled the kerosene heater yesterday, so we will have heat if power goes off. I have some stuff cooked. Probably pick up some ham, etc while in town. It is raining here right now, but supposed to start dropping in a bit. So I need to get with it. You all be safe. Talk to you later.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
We were getting ready when the weather was nice out because I hate the cold! we basically get all the cattle feeding done and whatever else needs attention then we can jsut work in shop.  Although right now our boiler system isnt working right and the wood furnace is missing a piece as it is still at welding shop as they havent got it done.I hope we get that done so we can burn more wood in there, right now it would fill with smoke. I have plenty of food, water, etc. as I prepare kinda all year long

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
Based on what I saw this morning, we are only getting some rain and it will be a little cold but nothing terrible.  Thank goodness!

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
We were getting ready when the weather was nice out because I hate the cold! we basically get all the cattle feeding done and whatever else needs attention then we can jsut work in shop.  Although right now our boiler system isnt working right and the wood furnace is missing a piece as it is still at welding shop as they havent got it done.I hope we get that done so we can burn more wood in there, right now it would fill with smoke. I have plenty of food, water, etc. as I prepare kinda all year long

That's very wise...sounds like it gets really cold up there.