Author Topic: Potatoes-ingredient of the day-12/8/13  (Read 2417 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Potatoes-ingredient of the day-12/8/13
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
I guess we'll keep going with this, then.  If you don't see me on some days and nothing is up, please feel free to think of something and put it up.  Or any day, really.  Otherwise, I'll post one when I get on the computer that day.  I'm just trying to alternate things I do use so I can share ideas with things I don't use much so I can glean ideas.  Hopefully, that is working the same for everyone.

So, on to potatoes...these are my go-to starch food.  My mom made them with most meals when I was growing up and I still love them.  Though I'm trying to eat them less due to working on losing weight, we still have them probably twice a week most weeks, sometimes more for the kids.

Ways we eat them:

Mashed (with butter and hot milk)

Fried-as a side or in our breakfast bowls layered with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon bits, etc...

"Parsley potatoes" (my mom's name for these--peel and cut into chunks, then boil in salted water just as you would for mashed.  When tender, drain off most of the water but not all, then add a couple of teaspoons dried parsley and about 4 tablespoons of butter.  Stir gently, then let that simmer along with the small amount of remaining water.  They end up with a bit of creamyish "sauce".

Baked-occasionally

In hashbrown casserole (I usually prefer frozen shreds for this but have done them with fresh homemade shreds)

Scalloped or au gratin

Potato Soup

the copycat Zuppa Toscana soup

in chicken potpie (we dice fairly small and precook two potatoes or so to add with the mixed veggies)

Cooked in with a pot roast with carrots in onions.

Potato salad

In beef stew

In beef hash (dice potatoes and chop an onion and saute for a bit in oil or lard, then add diced leftover roast along with leftover gravy or broth, salt and pepper and simmer till potatoes are tender)

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of for now, lol.

Catherine

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Potatoes-ingredient of the day-12/8/13
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »
Just adding that I know white potatoes seem to be villified these days, and I know they are tricky for those with serious blood sugar issues, but I still think they are a healthy food in moderation.  22 years ago in college, an older lady, probably in her 60's, who was a nurse, was in my German class.  I remember her saying how many good things were in potatoes and how someone could survive on them if they needed to.  Now, I don't plan to do that or even eat them really often, but her comments are stuck in my mind, lol.

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
We eat a lot of potatoes especially this time of year when I can find 10lb bags for around $1. We usually bake them, cube and put in covered pan in oven with butter and spices, mashed and potato soup. We aren't very adventurous these days lol. I love them fried but cant get the technique down I either burn them or mush them.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
We rarely eat white potatoes anymore.  Not vilifying them, I'd just rather have something else for that many calories ;D!  When we do eat them, it's usually in frozen form - fries, tater tots, etc.  That said, we eat sweet potatoes a few times a week!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
One of my favorite ways to fix potatoes is to scrub them really well, cut into thick slices (leave skin on), drizzle with olive oil and rosemary and bake til tender.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
I do love potato pancakes made out of leftover mashed potatoes.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Potatoes are my most favorite food!  Yum!

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
I do love potato pancakes made out of leftover mashed potatoes.

Ooh, yes, we do those, too.  Love my potatoes!

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »
We also love potatoes--

baked
boiled and topped with butter, parsley, salt & pepper, and shredded cheese
potato salad
in soups & stews
and of course, mashed with lots of butter and milk

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
We do love potatoes.  We grew about 1,000 pounds this past year.  We will use them mashed, baked, twice baked, soups, and roasted.  I do like using them in the crock pot with a roast.  I can my smaller ones and we use them in scrambled eggs.  I will also take some leftover mashed potatoes and make potato pancakes to go with some fried eggs.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »
Whenever I mention potatoes, my kids start in with the song from the Hobbit, the more recent real-people version.  "Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..."  :P

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
I love them any way that they can be made....almost. :D I am picky about my potato salads.

I like all kinds but particularly the red potatoes. They are easy to grow  here too. I like them thrown in a pot of green beans (with bacon grease...yes ma'am, that's right). I also like to have them roasted with butter and garlic in the oven. I have served them roasted with green beans or asparagus. We like ours in low country shrimp boil (locally known as Beaufort Stew). Oh, and I cannot forget frying the Irish potatoes to be served along side of pinto beans and cornbread.....and how about hash brown casserole?  ;D