Author Topic: Bell peppers - ingredient of the day 12/09/13  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Cheryl

Bell peppers - ingredient of the day 12/09/13
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »
Bell peppers are on my mind today since I'm using some tonight in a stir-fry recipe and I have bags of them in the freezer.

We use bell peppers on pizzas, in omelets, in stir-fries, in chili, soups, and we love them stuffed.  I'm sure there are more ways we use them but I'm drawing a blank right now. :-\

I welcome any new ideas on ways to use these.  I want to make sure I use up all the frozen ones and none go to waste. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Bell peppers - ingredient of the day 12/09/13
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »
Omelets, pizza, and occasionally in fajitas, here.  We eat the red, yellow, or orange kind raw.  Not a fan of green ones aside from the things I mentioned previously.

Offline hen41500

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
We do the same as Cheryl and Catherine.  We eat the colored ones raw with dressing/dip. Have also put the green ones in meatballs, egg rolls and cole slaw. If I get to thinking that our kids aren't getting enough veggies, then I will pulse them in the blender to make a liquid and add them to soups and chili as well.

~Heather~

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
I love these stuffed with chicken or tuna salad.

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
We put up a lot of diced peppers in the freezer to use over the winter.  We add them to scrambled eggs, stir fry, casseroles, etc.  I will buy fresh ones for fajitas.  I have even roasted them and canned them to use like I would Ortega diced green chilies.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
We put up a lot of diced peppers in the freezer to use over the winter.  We add them to scrambled eggs, stir fry, casseroles, etc.  I will buy fresh ones for fajitas.  I have even roasted them and canned them to use like I would Ortega diced green chilies.

I have never thought of roasting them and using them like diced green chilies!  Thanks for that idea.  Do you just roast them in the oven?  How many minutes do you can them?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

I have never thought of roasting them and using them like diced green chilies!  Thanks for that idea.  Do you just roast them in the oven?  How many minutes do you can them?

Cheryl,

Here is a link to my recipe that I use for canning roasted peppers.

http://holcombfamilyrecipes.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/roasted-peppers/

~Cheryl in Idaho

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
Thank you. :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:28 AM »
I also like to freeze ours for use over the winter. I tried dehydrating them and rehydrating later and I do not like the consistancy afterwards. Neither do I with mushrooms. 

We like ours all kinds of ways but the first thing that came to mind was to have them sauteed with onions and served over smoked sausage. I enjoy some in egg fritatas I like them in salad too.