Author Topic: Rice-ingredient of the day-12/10/13  (Read 2647 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Rice-ingredient of the day-12/10/13
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Rice, one of those foods I probably don't make enough.  We used to live in the little town of Vidalia, GA, when I was growing up, and there they served it with things like fried chicken and with gravy on top, like mashed potatoes.  That seemed so foreign to me, but as I've gotten older, I've found that is just normal for certain areas of the country.  I still don't make it that way, though.  We use it for:

Cooked, plain, as a side with broccoli chicken casserole or stir fries.

In creamy chicken and rice.

In soups, primarily chicken or turkey soup (I use a mix of brown and a wild rice blend in soup or the creamy chicken and rice, if I have the wild rice blend onhand)

For fried rice.

In Crystal's Mexican casserole (the one that had Rotel, hamburger, etc...)

Oh, and when I make homemade dog food, I use a fair amount of it.  Cheap, less allergenic than some grains, gluten-free, all that. 

And that's about it...how about you?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:56:52 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cheryl

Re: Rice-ingredient of the day-12/10/13
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
Rice is something I don't use a lot of.  I just don't really like it, maybe in part because I didn't grow up eating it.  My family loves it and we use it mainly in fried rice and as a side for chicken dishes. 

I like brown rice better than white, but my family is opposite.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline hen41500

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
Rice is a struggle here as well. If we have it more than once every other week, it causes trouble :P  We do fried rice, or the chicken/broccoli casserole and sometimes will add it to soup. The only thing we have eaten consistently is a sausage/rice gumbo though (even that is only 2-3 month). This is kinda like oatmeal for our family. It would be wonderful if we all loved it or if I was really creative to makes wonders out of it because it's so cheap! Sadly, this is not the case. We tried brown rice as well but it didn't win any votes ???  I had a friend in TExas that served rice in the morning for breakfast with all kinds of toppings....interesting. Her kiddos loved it!

~Heather~

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
I love rice. But I am terrible at making it. I have asked for a rice cooker for christmas this year. I love rice pudding! I also like it with butter and sugar. My aunt makes a cold rice salad. She just adds cinnamon and sugar and refrigerates it. It is so plain yet so good.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
We use rice quite a bit here.  We grew up eating it with butter and salt and pepper on it.  I don't care for it that way.  My kids will put soy sauce on it.  My middle daughter will request chicken and rice when she comes home from college.  I will make gravy to put on the rice for my husband and I.

I have used it in casseroles with chicken, broccoli, and cheese.  We do like pork fried rice.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
I don't serve rice often either.  I never ate it growing up and neither did Doug.  I try to serve brown rice more often than white but neither is a favorite.  When Molly was younger, she would always ask when we were having rice and say carrots with dinner, why we were having two vegetables which shows you how she feels about it!

Denise

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
We really enjoy rice and I suppose it is because of the region we live in. We like rice and grave, rice and hash(regional meat delicacy), chicken bog, rice with any curries, red rice (from local Gullah culture), dirty rice, over stir fries, fried rice, in pinto bean casserole, with pot roast, with a lot of regional sea food dishes...

Offline Cathie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
I serve a lot of rice 😬

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »
We really enjoy rice and I suppose it is because of the region we live in. We like rice and grave, rice and hash(regional meat delicacy), chicken bog, rice with any curries, red rice (from local Gullah culture), dirty rice, over stir fries, fried rice, in pinto bean casserole, with pot roast, with a lot of regional sea food dishes...

OK, so what is chicken bog?

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
It's just cooked rice with shredded chicken and smoked sausage that is seasoned according to who is cooking it. It is in stew form but really is as loose as you would want it to be. Some people (I do) put in chopped onion and celery. It is good served with hot sauce.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »
That sounds good, actually!

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
I married in to a Japanese family.. we eat a lot of rice  ;)