Author Topic: Mushrooms-ingredient of the day-12/12/13  (Read 3266 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Mushrooms-ingredient of the day-12/12/13
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:00:18 AM »
Mushrooms.  I like them but don't use a lot of them, not sure why.  I think part of it is that I buy them and tend to forget they are in the fridge, lol.  Anyway, we do like them on pizza, in omelets, and in certain dishes.  One involves sauteeing chicken breast in butter and paprika, then the mushrooms, then baking it all for an hour...haven't made that in years and might need to put it on the menu.  We also like to saute them in butter and add them to sirloin or round steak baked in the oven or crockpot.  Cream of mushroom soup is something we like in some recipes, but I'm trying to get away from buying the standard brand and Pacific Foods is so expensive.  So I bought some stuff that appears to be like mushroom bouillion to try in my homemade sub.

Offline jrejhkids

Re: Mushrooms-ingredient of the day-12/12/13
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:37:29 AM »
We use mushrooms in scrambled eggs, spaghetti sauce, and stir fry.  I have found that when I bring them home from the grocery store I put them in a brown lunch bag and they last longer in the crisper.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »
We use mushrooms in scrambled eggs, spaghetti sauce, and stir fry.  I have found that when I bring them home from the grocery store I put them in a brown lunch bag and they last longer in the crisper.

That's good to know, thanks!

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
In additional to the ways you said, I like mushroom gravy, especially in Salisbury steaks. We just had that last night. :)  I also.like them in vegetable soup sometimes. I make a soup with leftover roast beef, rice, etc. that I put mushrooms in.
Catherine, your chicken dish sounds solo good!
Cheryl, thank you for that tip!

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »
The mushrooms last longer and they don't get slimy.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
I love mushrooms.

I use them on pizzas, salads, in omelets, stir-fry, spaghetti sauce, and casseroles. 

Catherine - when I make my own version of cream of mushroom soup, I saute them in butter then add to the soup.  It's so much better than the canned version.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
Cheryl, that sounds delicious!

This is the stuff I got for when I don't have mushrooms and need "cream of" soup.  I've been doing my own cream of chicken by making a roux and using Better Than Bouillion chicken flavor, so I thought this would work for mushroom.  http://www.shop.organic-gourmet.com/product.sc?productId=14&categoryId=8

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
Cheryl, that sounds delicious!

This is the stuff I got for when I don't have mushrooms and need "cream of" soup.  I've been doing my own cream of chicken by making a roux and using Better Than Bouillion chicken flavor, so I thought this would work for mushroom.  http://www.shop.organic-gourmet.com/product.sc?productId=14&categoryId=8

That looks good.  I may have to order some of that!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
Love them!!!

In France I had truffle raviolis - to die for!!!!

I really like them.  Jay and Syd like them prepared certain ways.  Younger 2 hate them!

Offline hen41500

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
we LOVE stuffed mushrooms.  They take 5 ingredients and maybe 20 mins to prepare and cook!  You can even stuff them and freeze to cook later, they're a life saver when we are eating low carb ;)

~Heather~

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:13:49 AM »
Dude, who can forget mushroom Swiss burgers? ;D

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »
we LOVE stuffed mushrooms.  They take 5 ingredients and maybe 20 mins to prepare and cook!  You can even stuff them and freeze to cook later, they're a life saver when we are eating low carb ;)

~Heather~

Do you have a recipe you could share?  And do you use the big kind for that or just regular size?  TIA.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »
Dude, who can forget mushroom Swiss burgers? ;D

;D ;)

Offline hen41500

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Catherine,   we use the regular size ones b/c I think the filling of the cheeses is very rich to have so much, although I have considered adding crab or chicken to it to make it more hearty....not sure why now but I haven't done it ???   Any way,  Get a pck of whole mushrooms clean them off and wiggle out the stem. You should be left with the umbrella part. Sometimes they split a little but they will hold up with the filing so don't worry.  Take 8 ozs cream cheese (softened), 8 ozs Colby jack (shredded), 6 sliced cooked & crumbled bacon, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp chili powder. MIX ALL TOGETHER, then stuff the buttons.  Bake at 325 for 20 mins.  You're supposed to roll the tops in seasoned bread crumbs but I've never done that.  If you don't want to cook them right away. then just fill them and freeze for later.   THEY.ARE.SO.GOOD!   We put green onions in them before and they were just as good. I suppose you can let your creativity take over and add whatever to the "base" of the recipe.  Let me know if you like them.. It's an OLD Texas recipe  :)

~Heather~

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Catherine,   we use the regular size ones b/c I think the filling of the cheeses is very rich to have so much, although I have considered adding crab or chicken to it to make it more hearty....not sure why now but I haven't done it ???   Any way,  Get a pck of whole mushrooms clean them off and wiggle out the stem. You should be left with the umbrella part. Sometimes they split a little but they will hold up with the filing so don't worry.  Take 8 ozs cream cheese (softened), 8 ozs Colby jack (shredded), 6 sliced cooked & crumbled bacon, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp chili powder. MIX ALL TOGETHER, then stuff the buttons.  Bake at 325 for 20 mins.  You're supposed to roll the tops in seasoned bread crumbs but I've never done that.  If you don't want to cook them right away. then just fill them and freeze for later.   THEY.ARE.SO.GOOD!   We put green onions in them before and they were just as good. I suppose you can let your creativity take over and add whatever to the "base" of the recipe.  Let me know if you like them.. It's an OLD Texas recipe  :)

~Heather~

Ooh, that sounds delicious!  Thanks for sharing how to do them.