Author Topic: For fun--what is something unique about where you live?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

For fun--what is something unique about where you live?
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
For instance, we live near the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge here, established back in 1901.  Prior to settlement and the development of the railroad, this area was home to wolves, bison (buffalo), elk, bear, and many more species.  The bison and elk were hunted to extinction, sadly.  In 1907, 15 bison from the New York Zoological Society were brought to the refuge and reintroduced.  There is now a healthy herd and some are rounded up each year and auctioned off to keep the numbers sustainable.  Rocky Mountain Elk (not the species originally here) were also introduced and there is now a sizeable elk herd on the refuge.  Also, Longhorn cattle...the refuge supposedly has one of the best and most representative herds in the US.  People come from other states to purchase them during the auction.

Anyway, due to that history, if you are driving around town you will see bison statues all over the place.  Schools, business, parks, the airport.  It's kind of a joke around here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:19:10 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Sandlappersue

Re: For fun--what is something unique about where you live?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullah

We have descendants of slaves along our coast who has a special culture. It is a mix of African and American lifestyle and language. Their cooking is outrageous and language unique. They have many crafts they make but the most popular are the sweet grass baskets made from local sweet grass.
You can hear some of the language through youtube if you're interested.

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
http://www.malabarfarm.org/

Malabar Farm State Park is just a few miles from our home.  We love taking the grandchildren there, they feed the horses, goats, sheep, chickens & ducks to name a few.  We really enjoy the annual maple syrup weekend with a tour of the sap getting cooked down.  Of course it's fame is the home of Louis Bromfield and where Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall married there many years ago.  It just a lovely place to visit...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:36:39 PM by luv2bmom »
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
Louis and Clark came through our area on their famous trip. Our county, Holt, borders the Missouri River. You will see all sorts of statues and plaques in their honor.

Twenty miles southeast of us is St. Joseph, MO. It was the starting place of the Pony Express. St. Joe was also the starting point for lots of wagon trains going west. Joseph Robideaux was one of the first white men to settle in this area. He started a trading post on the river where St. Joe is now located.  ;)

There are several famous people from St. Joe. Let's see if I can remember their names....Walter Cronkite (News anchorman), Ruth Warrick (She played Phoebe Tyler on All My Children many years ago.), and some sort of rapper, I think his stage name is Eminem and really last name is Mathers. Not my kind of music so I don't pay attention. I believe he was born here, but moved to Detroit as a teenager, so calls Detroit his home town. LOL

Fun thread.

Blessings,
Winona

I forgot, St. Joseph is also the home of the original Cherry Mash candy bars. They were created in 1918 by the Chase Candy Company. I don't like them myself, but my hubby loves them.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:56:07 PM by MoWin »
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
There is a river in my county called the Henry River.  IN the early 1900's a cotton mill that made yarn was established and a self contained village was formed with the mill being the center piece.   It had its own stores, fire dept, homes for the workers, water supply, etc. 

Fast foward 100+ years and a lot of the homes and buildings are still standing. 

It is "District 12" from the Hunger Games.  Yep, they chose the Henry River Mill Village as the location for District 12.  My county has had its 15 minutes of fame. Lol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=henry+river+mill+hunger+games&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS312&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CHGwUvGiHcrWkQe-5oCQBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=555

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_River_Mill_Village

This area is about 8 miles from my house. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »
Beth - That is so cool!!!!  I love The Hunger Games and can't wait to see the second movie.

Denise

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Beth - that is neat!  You live in a beautiful area.

There's nothing around me but peanut and cotton fields and chicken houses. ;)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
We live about a half hour outside of Philadelphia so there is a lot to be seen around here.  Besides the city itself, there are many historical sites in our county and the neighboring counties plus we are only within a half hour or so from Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
We live about a half hour outside of Philadelphia so there is a lot to be seen around here.  Besides the city itself, there are many historical sites in our county and the neighboring counties plus we are only within a half hour or so from Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland.

Denise

Now your area, I have actually been to, back when I was in high school, though.  There definitely was a lot to see!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
Catherine - I learn new things about our area all of the time.  Today I learned that Girl Scout cookies were first sold in Philadelphia before it became a national thing.

The weather here is pretty good, too.  We have all four seasons here but very rarely have great extremes of temperature.  It is humid here in the summer but that is really mostly in July and August.

Denise

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
I live near CFB Trenton, which is one of the largest military air bases in Canada. There is a Search and Rescue unit based here which gets deployed anywhere in Canada as the need arises.  If there is a disaster overseas the humanitarian relief gets deployed from here too. Also there is flight training so we often see low flying planes and helicopters doing training exercises. Sadly it is also where all repatriation ceremonies happen, but that doesn't happen very often any more.

East of us is Kingston and the Thousand Islands, near the Canada-US border.
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
I guess one of the most unique things is our mountains.  Our city is pushed right up against the wasatch front.  My house is just a couple blocks from the rise.  Another unique thing about our town is that is was one of the first LDS settlements here in Utah.  My house is one of the oldest and was built by pioneers in 1874. 

The first picture is looking down on our city from the west.

The second is while we were hiking in the mountains and looking down on our city.  We were about 10,000 feet up.

Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline calicogirl

• Buddy
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
We have the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center, which I have never been to because I'm not into space stuff, lol. There's also Monte Sano State Park and Burritt On the Mountain.

Teresa
Teresa in North AL
Married to Greg
Mom to Brandon,Heather,John,Amy,Melanie,Trey and Joel
Step Mom to Peggy
Nana to Elizabeth,Brianna,Joshua, Raylan and Olivia
Fur-mama to 2 dogs and 2 cats
Feather-mama to 2 parrots and 27 chickens

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
Our actual town (Linden) is basically just mountain homes and a post office, but our adjacent town, Front Royal is pretty darn interesting!  We live about 15 minutes from the northernmost entrance (Front Royal) to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.  Within the park is also more than 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail. For a shockingly low THIRTY dollars a year, we get an annual pass and can enter the park (with up to a carful of people) at any time, as many times as we like.  The Shenandoah River runs along the entire town, so river culture and activities are big here as well.

Front Royal is also home to Christendom College, Randolph-Macon Academy, and the Smithsonian's Conservation & Research Center.

And the most interesting of all, our area used to be called 'Helltown'  ;D

Mandy

Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:08:28 AM »
beautiful Mandy