Author Topic: Lentils-ingredient of the day-12/16/13  (Read 1848 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Lentils-ingredient of the day-12/16/13
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
Lentils, another ingredient I don't use nearly enough.  We have tried a few different kinds:  the brownish type you get in the store, red lentils, green lentils, and French lentils.  French lentils are my favorite overall (a dark grayish-black color), in part because they hold their shape well when cooked.  Red ones turn to mush in my experience but work fine in soups.

Favorite uses so far:
Cooking up about 2 cups of them with water, then mixing cooked lentils with ground beef and using for tacos (with seasoning).

Cooking up equal parts lentils and rice, adding taco seasoning or similar spices and using in tacos, burritos, or just as "bowl" filling with toppings.

This soup:  http://penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com/2013/03/slow-cooker-lentil-black-bean-soup-023.html#.Uq8bPfRDvCd

I have this on the menu but haven't made it yet:  http://simplybeingmum.com/2012/10/11/spicy-slow-cooked-carrot-ginger-lentil-soup-recipe/

Also this one, which sounds tasty:  http://simplybeingmum.com/2010/11/08/simple-spinach-and-sweet-potato-soup-slow-cooker-recipe/

Offline Proudmama

Re: Lentils-ingredient of the day-12/16/13
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
I use lentils sort of regularly depending on the season.  I use them more in the fall and winter than spring or summer.

I use them to make sloppy Joannas as I call them, lentil curry, a lentil soup and a soup with sweet potatoes, carrots and apples.  I have also used them to make a veggie burger.  I have many more recipes that I would like to try and plan on doing so in the new year.

Denise

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:13 AM »
I'm reviving this thread because I have a pot of cooked lentils and need ideas. :)

Catherine - are the lentils well-disguised when used in the taco recipe?  I would love to be able to use them to stretch the ground beef.

Denise - do you use lentils in place of, or in addition to, hamburger meat when you make sloppy joannas?  I'm also interested in your veggie burger recipe.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
Cheryl, you can tell the lentils are there if you look at it.  But the taste is good with the taco seasoning in there.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
Let's just hope no one looks at it then!  Meat prices are outrageous and if I can pull this off I'll be happy. ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Cheryl:
Here is a blog post that might be of interest to you.

http://be-it-ever-so-humble.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-substitute-lentils-for-ground.html

Good luck!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:20:47 AM »
Cheryl - I am mostly vegetarian (I eat seafood occasionally) so I use the lentils in place of the meat.  I should say that only myself and my one daughter eat them - the rest of the family are meat eaters.😊

Unfortunately, i can't remember which veggie burger recipe I used.  Because of my back issue, i haven't cooked much since before the summer.  Sorry!

Denise