Author Topic: Tuesday, December 17, 2013  (Read 3325 times)

Offline wrancher

Tuesday, December 17, 2013
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »
Good Morning

Yesterday DD calls from school about 250 saying she broke her retainer and to call ortho for appt. So I call the office and they are like how is it broke. THen I couldnt get back ahold of DD. I ended up throwing on some town clothes and picking up dd to be to Rapid by the time they closed at 5. THe nurse was very strict they were closing at 5. We made it there at 450. ugh The dr was better than the nurse and we did need to be seen right  away.  So we had dds car and washed it (our town doesnt have a working car wash and it is a treat to wash a car at car wash) and gased up at sams club (2.80 in town 3.16) and came home. DD had fruit to deliver for FFA when we got home

Today is an at home day I think. Will head out to do chores when kids leave for school then the normal housework. I have the pieces together for the rope cross but not melted together then I need to finish presents for coaches and wrap them. Then I can do bookwork.

Need more coffee and more children up to get ready for school. It will be hard on us this week with 5 days. We get out Friday at 130 so we have

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Tuesday, December 17, 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:28:06 AM »
Good morning!

I'm awake, but am the only human awake so far (aside from Earl who has gone to work).  It's hard to get up when snuggled between two kitties, with another at my feet and a dog now over on Earl's side of the bed.  I think he just hangs out and waits for Earl to get up so he can take his warm spot.  Gotta love the critters!  Speaking of critters, I had pot roast planned yesterday and had Maddy start peeling some potatoes for it.  When she pulled the first one out, there was a brown recluse on it.  After being bitten a few months ago, she is not a fan so she said she smooshed it.  That's a bit scary, though, when I think of all the times we reach into potato bags.  :P

Some friends of ours are moving today, just to a different rental house.  I offered to keep their kids for awhile so they could get more done.  So, I guess we'll have 4 extras joining us today, a 2 YO, 4 YO, 7 YO, and 9 YO.  Should be interesting to say the least.

Dinner tonight is some sort of lentil soup/stew in the crockpot.  Need to look at my menu and recipes and see which one.

Still need to mail my parents' package today.  I went yesterday while out but the parking lot was full.  I'm hoping going earlier in the day will be a little better, at least.

Have a great day!
Catherine

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:08:30 AM »
Good morning!

Janice - I hear you on the needing more coffee!  I have to have a cup before I can even get started doing anything around here. ;)

Catherine - that's scary about the brown recluse.  I can't stand the thought!  :o  Sounds like you're going to have a busy day!

Today is another at home day for us.  I still have a wobbly chicken but she seems to be walking better.  Hope she's on the mend.   I don't have much planned for today, just finishing up some school work with Emily before taking a Christmas break. 

Hope everyone has a great day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
Good morning!

We had a little bit of snow this morning but nothing too bad.  It wasn't enough to cause a delay of school or anything much to Molly's dismay!  I was actually hoping for a delay myself since I got to bed a bit late last night because I was at the movies.  I did sleep in a bit and took my shower after the girls left for school.  Getting up at 5:30 is still very early, though!

I don't have much planned for today.  I have a bit of laundry to finish up from yesterday and need to clean up the kitchen, too.  I also hope to do a bit of reading and go through some of the newspapers and magazines piled up around here.  I need to get Molly after play rehearsal today.  Then it is home for the night.

Dinner tonight is hot roast beef sandwiches, some type of potato and green beans.  Madelyn will have chicken.  I am not sure what I will have.

Have a wonderful day!

Denise

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »
Good morning ladies,

It looks to be a beautiful day here. I will take as  many as we can get.  :D

I have all the pillowcases cut out and pinned for the beginning seams. That is the hardest part. Should go well after that, just a few straight seams. So the ear warmers are done. Drawstring backpacks just need the strings put in. Sewing the pillowcases today. Then I should be about done. I started a scarf last night while watching the Voice. Thought I would add a scarf to the ear warmers, but who am I kidding. I can't crochet 9 scarves in 4 days. Just can't do it. So I guess they will get a scarf next year. Gives me something to plan for. LOL

Kevin's first day back yesterday was pretty rough on him. He slept till almost 8 this morning and he never does that.  :o He was so tired last night.  :(

Cheryl, I hope your chicken recovers.
Cathy, I know what you mean about the critters. I usually have a cat by my side (or on top of me) and one by my head. Then as soon as Kevin gets up, Buddy takes his spot. LOL Good thing I love them.  ;) I am wondering if we have brown recluse spiders this far north, because I have never see one. I hope they decide not to travel north. Glad Maddy didn't get bit again.
Janice, glad you got there in time to see about your daughter's retainer. I hope you get to have a nice 'at home' day.

Everyone have a good one.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:32:26 AM »
Morning Denise,

Maybe you can fit in a little nap later.  ;) Did you enjoy the movie? That is the important thing. You can catch up on sleep.  :D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
Good morning, Winona!  I did enjoy the movie and was so happy I got to go.  And it was free which is even better.  I may nap but getting Molly after school may interfere with that.  I can take it for one day, though!  Have a great day.

Denise

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
Good Morning Everyone!

Trent had his double hernia surgery last Thursday and after a bit of delay bc they were behind everything went well and 30 min after he work up he was rolled out to the van, I was a little shocked by that he stayed 3 hrs after getting his ear tubes and adenoids out last may. His 2 incisions are about 1.5 inches each and they just put glue stuff on them but so far they are looking good and he went back to school on Monday.

Been crazy around here trying to get done shopping, I find it exhausting trying to shop with a list when Im not buying groceries it takes too much time trying to find what you need ugh. Need to get to post office today and finish wrapping sometime this week.

Little Ollie went to Dr yesterday and has bronchitis but seems to be a little better today after 3 doses of meds. Took keagan to his first counseling apt this morning, he is adhd but pretty well has that under control and does great at school but gets very defiant at home and mouthy and nothing has worked. I just hope this guy has other ideas than bribing him like the school did a couple years ago. He said well I use this sticker app for my 3 yr old to manage her ugh. I dont know I grew up know what was expected or we were in big trouble but it seems nothing works for him. Anyone ever deal with a problem like this and have any suggestions besides paying him to be good?

Well getter get started on chores, have a great day!
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
Norma - Our oldest has ADD as well and there were many strategies that we used to help him.  While there were rewards for good behavior, there were also consequences for bad behavior.  We also monitored his diet very closely and eliminated preservatives and artificial colors completely.  That helped tremendously.

Corey took forever to do his homework so we used a timer.  I would look through his homework for the evening with him and make sure he understood what he needed to do.  Then, he would take the first assignment and we would set the timer for fifteen minutes.  Once that time was up, he would move on to the next subject.  He treated it like a game and tried to get it finished before the timer.  Often, he was nearly finished so I would let him complete the subject if he chose.  Once he had worked on each subject, I would decide whether he would go back and finish or if I thought he had worked long enough for the night, we would be finished.  He would always do any reading he had though because that was his favorite.  Of course, we had worked this out with his teachers ahead of time.

I also used the timer for chores but, if he was not finished in the allotted amount of time, there was a consequence.  There was a reward if he completed in time but nothing major.  I would often allow an extra fifteen minutes of TV if he finished on time.  If he did not finish on time, he simply did not get the extra time so it wasn't technically a punishment but it was definitely a consequence.  There are consequences in life for everyone so this teaches this to them in an easy to understand way without a lot of yelling from you.  😄

If you would like other ideas or have any questions, feel free to pm me.  Corey is a very successful college student now and often uses strategies he has learned along the way to help him in his every day life.

Denise

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »
Thanks Denise, he does very well at school with teachers and other kids and homework. Its just the chores and getting along with siblings and being respectful to parents. I will talk to DH and see what type of little reward system we can get going, my only hesitant is I have to figure out something for 4 kids bc I would have to reward them for stuff too. I do have hope though bc after our appointment this morning I asked him what he thought and he said "good" I asked him why and he said bc he wanted help trying to get a better attitude so I think we can get thru this. Thanks.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
I am glad the appointment went well.  I actually did not reward the others for the same things I rewarded Corey.  I kind of deal with each child in the way I think will benefit them the most and what works for one does not necessarily work for the others nor should it.  If one child is already doing something correctly, I did not see any reason to reward them for doing it.  I have always taught my children that equal and fair are not the same thing and if I treat them all equally, I am not treating any of them fairly.  The rewards for the behavior were never that great so the others did not feel jealous.  Of course, with four of them, they each had things they struggled with and had times when they needed extra help with something so I feel it all worked out.  But that is just my opinion.  😄

Denise

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »
Thanks Denise, that all makes sense. That is one big thing we struggle with is things being equal and fair. Just seems everyday is a struggle, hoping and praying it all gets a little better soon. Why didn't anyone ever tell us parenting was so hard lol. So we have "goals" for the 2 oldest how long do we have them work toward them a Week? I just don't know if this is attainable for him and he will have a tantrum breakdown and feel like he will never reach the goal. Daily, weekly? I don't know Im so confused.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:41 AM »
Norma - It really helped me to take things one day at a time and often one goal at a time.  I think it is overwhelming for everyone if you try to tackle it all at once.  If there is an issue that is truly disruptive to the family and causing a near crisis in the house, maybe you could start with that.  If it is more of an overall behavioral issue, perhaps start with the issue that you think he could do the easiest.  Sometimes being rewarded quickly helps them see they can do things and encourages them to try the next item.  Once I felt good progress had been made on one issue, we would move on to another one.

I always felt that talking and explaining exactly what we expected, what would happen if our expectations were met, what would happen if they were not met and why this was important went a long way towards making the process go much more smoothly.  I always tried to come up with the plan when I had some free time to sit quietly and think about it and not when I felt like doing him bodily harm because of his behavior!  😄 Good luck!

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »
Norma - my youngest has ADHD, language processing disorder and reading disorder - she is now in 5th grade to say that some days are challenging is an understatement.

I will be praying for you. 

May I also suggest a side note - I tell my kids all the time I will always be 100% fair with all of you a 100% of the time but I will never be able to treat you all 100% equal all of the time.  You all have different needs and different things going on at different times and all that will require different things that you need for me and your dad.  But we love you all the same 100% of the time ❤

I'll be praying for you.  We took counseling with our daughter it was very helpful.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 06:25:11 AM »
Cathie - I love what you tell your kids.  It is similar to what we tell our kids.  It is a hard job being a parent!

Denise