Author Topic: Onions-ingredient of the day-12/20/13  (Read 1265 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Onions-ingredient of the day-12/20/13
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:05:07 AM »
I used these IN a lot of dishes:  spaghetti, meat loaf, sauteed in with veggies, potato salad, well, in a LOT of different dishes.  I don't really use them as a side dish on their own, though, though I've heard of people making them similar to scalloped potatoes.  Anybody here do that or have another way to make them the spotlight?  And do you use them in any unique ways.  I have a vested interest in this one as I have 40 lbs of onions from Azure arriving tonight (someone may split and take half but we'll see).

Offline Cheryl

Re: Onions-ingredient of the day-12/20/13
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:19:57 AM »
I use these a lot too, in dishes such as the ones you mentioned.  I don't have any thoughts on unique ways to use them.  We mostly use them on pizzas, in salads, fajitas, on burgers & other sandwiches.  I do like pickled onions.  I use this recipe -

http://www.southernplate.com/2012/08/pickled-onions-heaven-for-an-old-southern-soul.html

I bought a huge bag of onions one time and was using my food processor to chop them.  My cat's eyes started watering and she couldn't stop sneezing, so I ended up out on the deck to finish them. :D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
We also use them in almost every main dish meal.  For breakfast, I will slice up an onion real thin and saute it until it is done.  Then we add some sliced baked potatoes and cook until the potatoes are just right.  I will also quarter or eighth an onion and throw it in with our roast.  We like the big chunks of onions with it.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »
We also do all those ways aside from the pickled ones or the baked potato thing.  I do make fried potatoes with onions, though.  Mmm...so glad my hubby likes onions as well.  :)