Author Topic: Making your Own Presents/Gifts  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Cathie

Making your Own Presents/Gifts
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »
Just wondering if any of you make your own presents/gifts to give out?

Or links to favorites?

I'm trying to decide on some hard to shop for people - My in-laws, Grandparents - I want to give something meaningful not necessarily spending money to spend money if you know what I mean.

I'm going to look and if I find some I'll share here

Offline Cathie

Re: Making your Own Presents/Gifts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
I seldom buy gifts. Almost everything I give is homemade. Mostly using fabric or yarn.  :P I am thinking about making a small memory book for MIL. We shared some pictures with her last week of our chickens, dog, and cats. She loved them and wanted to keep them to look at throughout the week. So I wrote about each of the pictures on the back. I think a small book with a few pictures that she could carry in the pouch on her electric wheelchair, would be just the ticket for her. Cathie, maybe your grandparents would enjoy something similar.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
yes. that's a good idea Winona  :-* thanks

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
I love homemade gifts!  I appreciate the effort and thought put into them but some people in my family (they will remain anonymous ;)) don't like them.  That's why we simplified our gift-giving several years ago. 

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
Martha Stewart has some cute ideas: http://www.marthastewart.com/274972/homemade-food-gifts/@center/307035/santas-workshop#274972

These are some great ideas! I love to give and receive food gifts!

I have such fond memories of the gifts my grandmother made for me as a child--hand-sewn dolls, crocheted stuffed animals, flannel nightgowns, etc. I knew she put thought and love into every gift.  :)

Winona, I like your idea of a memory book. I'm thinking that would be a nice present for my MIL, and fill it with pictures of her grandchildren.

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
I typically don't make them, but I'm planning to make at least some of the twinkie's presents this year.  I'm planning to build them a play kitchen with oven, fridge, and sink and also some felt play food.  Since their birthday is a week after christmas, this will probably get spread over both since they are such big gifts.  Trevor's next paycheck will have some money set aside to get the building supplies.  The plans I got were free.  I'm also knitting Trevor a pair if fingerless gloves to use while he codes.

As far as gifts for others, I probably won't have time this year and just buy things.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Trudy in TN

• Loving Home
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »
We found 5 Thomas Kincard pics that the people had framed that we bought for a song so we are going to keep one and give 4 as christmas gifts.  I also have stitched and framed three pieces as gifts.  I am really close to being done with most of the gifts I need.  I need to sit down and figure out what is left.
Wife of 29 years to David
Mom to Ian (26) and Rachel (24)
Mom in love to Brooke
www.lovinghome-trudy@blogspot.com

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:20 AM »
I will probably make some pumpkin rolls as small gifts to some. And jam. I also make buckeyes. What I do with my siblings is buy them something like a sweater or tee shirt, then make them a box full of homemade goodies. Last year I did an assortment of cookies and candies. I put them in a decorative box. I also make hard tack candy and fill quart size mason jars. I wrap pretty ribbon around the lid.  Chad LOVES fudge. So I do make him several kinds of fudge and do the decorative box thing with him, too.  I think homemade gifts mean more. Even if its something small and frugal. It takes more time to make a homemade gift and more thought goes into it.

However, I have already started my christmas shopping. I started last month with the boughten gifts for family. I am almost done with Chad!! Yay me!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
I found a cute idea for a fishing game I'd like to make the grandbabies this year. 

http://grandmamadoesit.blogspot.com/2013/09/fishin-fun.html

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Wow, I love that fishing idea. Someday! :)
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Cathie

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »

Offline Cathie

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:53 AM »

Offline Cathie

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 06:52:59 AM »
Gifts for men (was original a father's day thing - same principal applies though) ~ http://www.everythingetsy.com/2013/05/101-free-fathers-day-printables-gifts-for-him/