Author Topic: Making your Own Presents/Gifts  (Read 8072 times)

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Making your Own Presents/Gifts
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
Pixie, if you plan to machine quilt, warm and natural is wonderful. It isn't ideal for hand quilting, though. I have used it, but it does not needle easily in hand quilting.  :D This looks like a project that simple machine straight lines would look awesome.  ;)

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
This 10 minute table runner is amazingly easy to make, i've done one for each season!  This is the video I used as I learned how to do it the first time!  Oh, I can't sew it in 10 minutes, for me it's more like a half an hour...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfg8BMUakOc

What a great project! Thanks for posting this link, Pixie!!  :)

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Pixie. This would be quick, but I would also use some batting and quilt a few lines in it.  ;D Just the way I roll. LOL These would be very nice hostess gifts for the holidays.  ;)

Blessings,
Winona

Winona, at what stage would you add the batting? Would you slip it in between the layers after you sew the long sides?

Thanks!
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Pixie. This would be quick, but I would also use some batting and quilt a few lines in it.  ;D Just the way I roll. LOL These would be very nice hostess gifts for the holidays.  ;)

Blessings,
Winona

Winona, at what stage would you add the batting? Would you slip it in between the layers after you sew the long sides?

Thanks!
Jennie

I was wondering the same thing.  That would make sense to me, but I am a newbie at this kind of thing.  ;D
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
Jennie,
Yep, that is when I would add it. Just cut your batting a little bit smaller than the sewed runner, so it doesn't bunch up too much. I think this would be ideal for simple machine quilting of straight lines. I think I already said that once. LOL  Just look on the batting package to see how close it says to quilt. Some of them can be quilted 10 inches apart.  This wouldn't have to have batting and would be lovely just like it is, but adding the batting would just make it a bit more special, in my opinion. LOL But since I am a quilter, I am a bit biased. LOL This would be a project that could be done in a couple of hours. I know it is supposed to take a lot less time than that, but I don't like to get in a hurry. LOL When I rush, I make mistakes. I haven't decided what to do for my daughters yet, but may try this. If I do, I'll try to take pictures as I go and post. No promises, though. LOL

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
I wanted to add another favorite sewing project I do, I have made many of these and given them away this past year....this is the link to part 1 of the 2 part video.  I love Missouri quilt co videos!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alq0B2KZ-ME

I can tell you just how darling these aprons are. Pixie sent one to me and I just love it. I just finished watching both parts to this and it looks easy to do. I second it about loving Missouri Star Quilt videos. And to think, this shop is only about 60 or 70 miles away from me. I really must visit it some day. LOL Once again, Pixie, thanks for a great link.

Blessings,
Winona
Wife to Kevin

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Winona!

I am so happy you use your apron!!  I've lost count of how many i've sewed up but I have yet to make one for myself!!  lol 

I am going to try a table runner quilted...you have inspired me!!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus