Author Topic: Saturday, December 21st, 2013  (Read 1867 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Saturday, December 21st, 2013
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »
Good morning!

I kept laying in bed hearing tree limbs fall due to the ice, so I gave up finally and got up.  Having some coffee in a quiet (relatively) house.  It would be quieter but we forgot to run the dishwasher last night so I'm running now in case we lose power.  The trees are beautiful but I'm really glad we can stay in today.  I don't know if the forecast for today has changed (yesterday's sure did!) but we were supposed to get into the 40's today.  If that's the case, this stuff should melt.

For some reason it feels like it should be closer to Christmas, maybe the 23rd or 24th.  Not sure why, it just does.  And it feels weird that Earl will work Christmas Eve, lol.  Oh well...at least he has a job.  :)

I think I may work on my menu planning today.  I got the meals down last week, but today I'd like to put it into Plan to Eat and make my grocery list.  I can't make the list on there unless I put every one of my recipes into it, so I'll probably still do my list by hand.  I'm thinking to do my shopping for January on December 26th...hopefully the store will be calm before the realm of the 30th and 31st which is when military pay will hit.  I'm trying to keep my expenditures as low as possible while allowing for a bit of stock up on anything with rock bottom prices (baking chocolate, special items).

We had a nice time at the Christmas party for our homeschool group last night.  They had a drawing for gift baskets and I won the "chocolate fix" basket.  Yeah, great for a gal trying to lose weight.  It had a bag of Dark Chocolate Milano cookies in it and those are a downfall of mine.  Plus biscotti, hot chocolate, chocolate dipped spoons, peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses on them (those will go to my family), white chocolate dipped pretzels, and more.

Have a great weekend, and if you're getting any of this weather soon, stay safe and warm!
Catherine

Offline wrancher

Re: Saturday, December 21st, 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »
Good Morning Catherine and all who follow

We slept in and it feels great, In fact I am the only one up. Someone has been up though and left most of the lights on and rummaged through the christmas packages I got wrapped at my moms yesterday. I didnt get alot done at my house yesterday but everyone is home to help even if just a little bit here and there. After we clean we will finish wrapping packages and do some more crafting. This evening while watching tv I can organize my paperwork by month. I still dont have my family card ready yet and it really hasnt bothered me. I want to retake a pic in front of the 1937 checy truck we got. It doesnt run and is in rough shape. A fixer upper that hopefully we could use in another pic as restored. A neighbor would come take a pic if I want. I am going to make bread for this sandwich thing I want to try like a muffuelta. Also andes mint truffles. So easy. I might also make bread for bread bowls for soup as the kids want to try that Over vacation we have tradiitions of lots of company. ice skating parties (hockey games) taffy pulling card games, etc. we should be busy Plus this year we have bball tourney and appts.

Have a great day
Janice

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »
Janice, all your parties sound fun!  Good clean old-fashioned type fun.  I've never been to a taffy pulling...maybe I should try doing that here at home.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Catherine the taffy we make is like hard candy. They 1st time we made it I was so disappointed as I want the soft kind. You have to pull it while it is hot and you end up with blisters on your hands. I need to find some gloves for this.  This is our neighbors recipe kinda like the little house and the prairie kind.

This is the sandwich I am making

http://www.thefrugalpantry.com/2013/08/game-day-stuffed-super-sub.html

I am making hawaiian bread in the bread machine that I will make into a round loaf. I didnt have pineapple juice so I opened 6 cans of pineapple chunks and drained the juice and put the chunks in dehydrater. YUM cant wait. Like candy around here.

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Good afternoon ladies,

We just got back from getting supplies. We are suppose to get several inches of snow, sleet, freezing rain, you name it starting this afternoon. So we got up and went to visit MIL. She was really down, but kept saying everything is ok. She had the local paper laying beside her. The realty transfer of the homeplace was in that paper this week. So I am pretty sure she read it and knows that the place was sold. Don't think she knows the house is gone though. So sad for her, but she tried to hide it from us. She probably doesn't think we know about it all.  :-\ Anyway, we got to visit a bit with her because we probably won't be able to get out tomorrow.

Then we went to Savannah to pick up a few groceries. We bought a bone-in ham for Christmas and got milk, potatoes and a bit of cheese. We stopped by Orschelns and got extra feed for the animals. I bought extra treats for Buddy, Callie, and Aeris. Those are a necessity. LOL  ::) So we are ready for whatever weather we get. We also filled the car before coming home. So if we get the 5-8 inches of snow they are predicting, I hope the wind does not get up. That much snow and wind and not good together.  :o

Cathy, I hope it warms up for you. Not much worse than ice in my opinion. If you have ever been through a major ice storm, it is something you never forget.  :(
Janice, have fun with all your parties and games. I wish our family did things like this.

Everyone stay safe. Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
Janice - would you mind sharing your recipe for Hawaiian bread, please?  Sounds delicious!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 06:13:45 AM »
I tried this recipe and I havent tried it yet but it looks good and was easy

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sweet-Hawaiian-Yeast-Bread-_bread-Machine_-Recipezaar