Author Topic: Do you use a planner?  (Read 7340 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Do you use a planner?
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:12:22 AM »
Just out of curiosity and for fun, how many use a planner?  I know a lot of people locally who have gone to keeping everything on their smart phones, but 1), I don't have a smart phone, and 2), I still like writing things down on paper.  I buy a different planner every year, trying to find a layout that suits the things I like to track.  Getting that new planner each year kind of gives me that feeling like getting new school supplies used to.  :)  This past year, I've gotten into writing out long-term goals, then monthly goals, and breaking monthly goals into weekly goals so I can put items from that on my daily to-do lists.  And with the kids getting older and being involved in more activities, I need a place to track their things as well as mine.  So this year, I stumbled across the Tools4Wisdom planner and decided I'd like to try their "mom" version.  Earl is getting it for me, I think for my b-day.  ;)  http://www.amazon.com/2014-Weekly-Planner-Calendar-Tools4Wisdom/dp/B00D7NPDNG/ref=pd_sim_op_4  It even has places to write in daily meals.  I was really excited to find something with specific room for the goals I do while still having blank pages in the back.  I will do my budget in those blank pages so I don't want to use those up for goals and this way I'll have space for both.

This is going to be great, because right now I have a budget notebook, goals notebook, my planner, menu-planning notebook, and to-do list notebook.  :D  Notebook queen, here.  I will probably still do initial meal-planning in a separate notebook and then enter what sounds good from the list into the planner so I remember to thaw or soak things that need it ahead of time.

So what's your method?  Paper, or high-tech?  Do you keep more than one notebook or am I just a nerd?  ;)

Catherine
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:13:30 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cathie

Re: Do you use a planner?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
I like both

I like appointment in my phone but I also like them a lot on a calendar so I can physically can "see" the week

the phone is linked to Jay's phone too so that helps me - he knows where I need to be

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »
I have notebooks, lots of notebooks because 1. they're cheap, 2. I'm cheap, and 3. I've always written things down this way.  I don't have a smartphone, but if I did I think I would still prefer writing it out.  I like to hold it and look at it, if that makes sense.

I have thought about getting a planner so I could have everything in one central location because right now I have too many notebooks to keep up with and I think a planner would be easier and neater.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
I have notebooks, lots of notebooks because 1. they're cheap, 2. I'm cheap, and 3. I've always written things down this way.  I don't have a smartphone, but if I did I think I would still prefer writing it out.  I like to hold it and look at it, if that makes sense.

I have thought about getting a planner so I could have everything in one central location because right now I have too many notebooks to keep up with and I think a planner would be easier and neater.

Me too.  But silly me keeps a planner each year (for keeping track of dates and appointments) plus all the notebooks.  So I'm hoping this will help.  I tend to have this big pile of notebooks.  So either I have them all out and have a mess, or put them all away and then lose track of my to-do list because it's out of sight.  I am hoping this is the solution, but we will see.  :P

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 08:57:38 AM »
I tend to prefer something loose leaf so that I can add or remove pages.  When I have purchased planners in the past they always had things in them that I would not need or use.

I have a small binder (5x8?) for homeschool. I only have one child, so I buy calendar pages at the office supply store and keep a diary of what we do each day. I have a yearly calendar for overall appts., etc., and week at a glance where I keep our daily work.  I just use the lined paper to keep lists and ideas and use the sticky tabs to mark them.

For my household use I have not had a lot of luck keeping a planner and writing things down.  A planner big enough to be of use is too big too be carried around in my purse, or to church, doctor, etc.

I am hoping to do better next year on making lists of to-dos.  I may just keep a list in the front of the homeschool planner since I am looking at it every day and it sits on the computer desk in a central location.

Offline MN_Mom

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
I have a family calendar on the side of the fridge where I keep track of appts, school events, etc. We don't have smartphones, but I can see how keeping everything there would be handy.

I have a notebook where I keep track or gift and event planning. It goes back to about 2000. It's kind of fun to see what I bought and for how much and what we've done over the years.
Lisa living in MN

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
I do use a planner and find it to be one of my most-used items. I keep track of school schedules, appointments, my "to do" list, etc. I started using a planner back in college, and have used one ever since.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity and for fun, how many use a planner?  I know a lot of people locally who have gone to keeping everything on their smart phones, but 1), I don't have a smart phone, and 2), I still like writing things down on paper.  I buy a different planner every year, trying to find a layout that suits the things I like to track.  Getting that new planner each year kind of gives me that feeling like getting new school supplies used to.  :)  This past year, I've gotten into writing out long-term goals, then monthly goals, and breaking monthly goals into weekly goals so I can put items from that on my daily to-do lists.  And with the kids getting older and being involved in more activities, I need a place to track their things as well as mine.  So this year, I stumbled across the Tools4Wisdom planner and decided I'd like to try their "mom" version.  Earl is getting it for me, I think for my b-day.  ;)  http://www.amazon.com/2014-Weekly-Planner-Calendar-Tools4Wisdom/dp/B00D7NPDNG/ref=pd_sim_op_4  It even has places to write in daily meals.  I was really excited to find something with specific room for the goals I do while still having blank pages in the back.  I will do my budget in those blank pages so I don't want to use those up for goals and this way I'll have space for both.

This is going to be great, because right now I have a budget notebook, goals notebook, my planner, menu-planning notebook, and to-do list notebook.  :D  Notebook queen, here.  I will probably still do initial meal-planning in a separate notebook and then enter what sounds good from the list into the planner so I remember to thaw or soak things that need it ahead of time.

So what's your method?  Paper, or high-tech?  Do you keep more than one notebook or am I just a nerd?  ;)

Catherine
Cath you really inspire me with all of your organization and planning ahead. :)  I am so DISorganized right now that even if I had a planner, I wouldn't know what to put in it. :P  I would be happy with organized chaos at this point. :D  New Years Resolution #1 in place. :)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
I use a planner (monthly/weekly planner), a smart phone and a homeschool planner.  I have a mild planner addiction  ;)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
I have a calendar on the fridge for appts and then I use a regular notebook for lists and planning out my day.  I don't have a smart phone and rarely use my phone for anything.  I used to have an actual planner, but decided it was a waste cause half of the pages would go unused.  I prefer to just list things on regular paper.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Cathie

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
The 2014 Confident Mom planner is free right now - http://www.theconfidentmom.com/12/family-manager/free-2014-confident-mom-weekly-household-planner/

I printed it out and I like that it is adjustable

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
Thanks for that, Cathie.  I signed up to receive a copy and am now waiting not so patiently. :)
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
I wasn't patient either...I kept clicking to refresh my inbox.  :D

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »
hahahahhaha it will come - just be a weeeeee bit patient

FYI ~ I wasn't either   ;D

I just printed off the end of December and most of January to make sure I will use it and see what adjustments I'd like to make - I didn't want to start off totally blank - that's kinda where I feel I am most days - totally blank  ;D

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
I kept clicking to refresh my inbox.  :D

hee hee  ;)