Author Topic: Pinto beans-ingredient of the day-12/21/13  (Read 1246 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Pinto beans-ingredient of the day-12/21/13
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »
OK, when I first thought of doing this ingredient of the day thing, I thought it would be easy. And it's true, there are many ingredients to pick from.  But I've also been trying to pick things that I think can help stretch the budget a bit.  Cabbage over, say, cinnamon.  I mean, yeah, there are loads of uses for cinnamon, but it doesn't do much for the budget, unlike cabbage or beans, or rice or potatoes.  Anyway, some days I feel I'm scraping bottom, so if you think of anything, particularly something that can help keep the budget lower, feel free to suggest them as future ingredients of the day or just go ahead and start the thread some morning with one.

Now, for pinto beans:

-cooked, with or without a bit of ham or a ham bone

-as "refried" beans using this recipe:  http://penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com/2012/09/crockpot-refried-beans-019-per-cup.html (they are really good and I'm not usually a refried bean fan)

-cooked, along with kidney beans, in chili or other soups

-I've tried a few of Crystal's recipes from the old site or her blog-not thinking of specific ones right now and haven't done this recently

How do you eat yours?

Offline Cheryl

Re: Pinto beans-ingredient of the day-12/21/13
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
I really enjoy this ingredient of the day thread. :)

Pintos are my favorite beans.

I like them cooked with ham, served with cornbread.

Refried beans using Laurie's recipe - http://ourabundantblessings.com/2012/01/08/super-simple-refried-beans/

I also use them in chili and soups, same as you. 

I keep dry ones and home-canned ones on hand at all times.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

Re: Pinto beans-ingredient of the day-12/21/13
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
I like the way you are doing these threads and also appreciate the fact that the ingredients you choose are budget stretchers.

Pinto beans are one bean that I never use but I think I will try the refried bean recipe you linked.  It sounds good and easy.

Denise