Author Topic: Slow cookers  (Read 2697 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Slow cookers
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
I'm in the market for one, maybe two.  I literally use two at a time sometimes (stock going in one and a meal in another) and both of mine have quit.  My hubby told me to pick one out and order it, knowing how much and how often we use it.  I'd love to hear recommendations of brands/types that have worked well for you.  Things I have learned from my last two:

-I want a manual knob, not programmable
-I don't think I want stainless steel again--too hard keeping it looking nice--but, I will get it if it costs way less
-looking for 7 quart, possibly 8-8.5
-for second one, looking for probably 6 quart, possibly with the locking handle for when we take it places.  I have made several messes transporting one with non-locking lid.   :(
-I LOVE the feature on my Grandma's old one.  It had high, low, and "auto".  Auto cooked at high for one hour then went to low.  I am not seeing that on newer models, though.  Anybody know of one that still comes with this?

Offline Cathie

Re: Slow cookers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
That's really pretty!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
That's really pretty!

yes I love it
functional and stunning  ;D

Offline wrancher

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
I did the same thing and bought a bigger one I think it is this one

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33182-8-Quart-Cooker/dp/B003UV8L6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1387820472&sr=1-2&keywords=slow+cookers+and+crock+pots

Pretty plain jane but works great

Janice, I think I just ordered the same thing in white.  :D  Decided to go ahead and order a big one, then will keep an eye out after Christmas for a 6 qt with the locking lid. 

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
A makeshift way to carry a crockpot is to take two rubber bands, stretch one from the handle on one side and around the knob, then do the same for the other side.  I always keep some old towels in the kitchen and use those to wrap the pot to keep it warm.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
A makeshift way to carry a crockpot is to take two rubber bands, stretch one from the handle on one side and around the knob, then do the same for the other side.  I always keep some old towels in the kitchen and use those to wrap the pot to keep it warm.

I do the same with the towels...that trick with the rubber band is good to know!  Thanks!

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
My favorite brand of slow cooker is definitely Hamilton Beach.  I currently have two of them and I frequently have them both going at the same time. 

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline Rooney

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
I have been looking too for quite a while.  Which is healthier, a stoneware or ceramic insert?

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »

Ha!  This is exactly what we do!  ;D

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
So my new 8 qt slow cooker came yesterday, yay.  And it has included with it a large white "rubber band" for the express purpose of holding on the lid, lol.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
Catherine, I'll be interested to hear how you like the 8-quart size. My largest slow cooker is a 6-quart which holds enough for a meal, but not really enough for lots of leftovers.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
Catherine, I'll be interested to hear how you like the 8-quart size. My largest slow cooker is a 6-quart which holds enough for a meal, but not really enough for lots of leftovers.

Jennie

Exactly!  These days, if we all eat from it, there might be enough left for a lunch for Earl and that's about it.  I'm hoping to change that with this.