Author Topic: Christmas-what would you do differently next year?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Mountain Mama

Christmas-what would you do differently next year?
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
What, if anything, would you like to do differently for Christmas next year?  I would like to send out Christmas cards.  I haven't done it in years because it just got too expensive but if I plan ahead now I should be able to pull it off.  I think I would also like to try a different menu.  We usually have turkey.   It just seems too much like Thanksgiving to me.  We aren't ham eaters but there must be something else.  Maybe roast beef.  I'm sure there are more things that I would change but I have a whole year to figure it out.  Maybe that's the key right there.  Better and earlier planning.

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline Cathie

Re: Christmas-what would you do differently next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Good question I was just thinking of this myself today

1) plan to spend money all through the year - I saw a thing that say buy gift cards each pay or month and put aside for Christmas - I am going to do this - cash is no good for me - I'll end up using it to pay other bills - I just know it

2) Christmas cards - still do these but I think I may go back to regular cards and just print a picture and put it inside we will see - cost of printed picture cards is awfully high

3) decorations - we didn't really buy too much nor do we need too much but today I am headed to CVS and I have some EBC to use and a $5 coupon so I am hoping for some lights - white - I broke mine a couple of years ago and have not replaced them

4) make more gifts

5) stick to a budget really really really well - we did fairly well but there is always room for improvement

6) make less giving treats - I think just do one thing and mass give instead of lots of treats just make one kind - I'm leaning towards peppermint bark - I will still make cookies for here but less of everything else would be less stress and less cost

6)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
1) Yes, buy more gifts throughout the year as I have the funds and come across something appropriate.

2)  Save some money through the year to use especially with the online Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

3)  Buy more local and/or handmade items.

4)  Send cards at Valentine's or 4th of July, sometime when people aren't expecting a card.

5)  Make more gifts-failed miserably at this this year.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
Something else, I have a friend who is really good about planning ahead.  For summer or Christmas or whatever, she'll plan a special activity for each day.  Some are small and quick, some more time intensive.  I'd like to do this for the month of December, whether in the form of a homemade Advent calendar or otherwise.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
My two main goals for next Christmas are 1) make more gifts and 2) accumulate gifts throughout the year.

I did get my Christmas cards out before Christmas this year, so that was a big accomplishment!  ;D
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
I definitely want to make more gifts. This year whenever I made jam I would put some in half pints which I set aside for Christmas gift baskets, and I will definitely do that again. I also have a goal to cross stitch something small each month, bookmarks, Christmas ornaments and that sort of thing. I will do crocheted or knitted dish cloths as well.  I had a nice stack of them this past year.

The other thing I will do is make sure that both my Amazon and PayPal accounts are built up so I can do some online shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I have got some really good deals the past couple of years. I'm like Cathie, I won't spend it like I would if I tried to save cash.  :D
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
Me too!!  I plan on sewing more gifts this year!

I actually started a 10 minute table runner for my oldest dd today.  I found beautiful fabric at JoAnns this past week 70% off plus I had an additional 25% off total purchase.  I am able to make her 2 long runners with the 1 1/2 yards of each I bought. 

My cousin came over today and showed me how to sew up those super easy infinity scarves!  I am wearing one now!  I buy dressy, thin, silky fabric with pretty prints in the clearance aisle and the remnant bin...I plan on making all the ladies in my family one! 

I made no resolutions this year, just to hard for me to do.  But I did make the decision to do a sewing day a week, I think I can stick to that and accomplish the homemade gifts i'm planning on!  :)
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
I have a lot of things that I hope to do differently next year.

Split the car rental cost with my brother for my parents to come to us bc there is no sense in 8 people going to their house and it is really rough on the kids.

Purchase lego advent calenders way in advance before they are sold out.

Purchase monogramed stockings.

Sew some gift bags, a tradition my Grandma did putting gifts in Christmas cloth bags tied with ribbons, I have a few of hers but would like to have enough of different sizes so I would only have to buy one cheap roll of paper for the few gifts that leave the house.

Buy the kids More books for Christmas.

Don't buy out of guilt.

Do more activities with the kids.

Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.