Author Topic: I love my dog....  (Read 2758 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

I love my dog....
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Today I decided to make myself some Trim Healthy Mama candy.  I'm about out of erythritol and our Azure delivery was delayed (again) and now not coming till Friday, so I decided to proceed with xylitol.  Which tastes fine but has a higher glycemic index.  I melted some unsweetened Baker's chocolate, added the xylitol, but couldn't get it to melt.  After about 10-15 minutes, I turned up the heat (it had been on my "warmer" burner so I moved it to a regular burner).  Went to do something and came back and the chocolate had "seized".  So, I scraped it out of the pan, chunked it in the trash, washed the pan, and started over using stevia in the chocolate this time. 

An hour later, Earl took the kids to church and I hear Buck (the collie) chewing something. And there was some plastic wrap from the trash.  Oh no!  I look and can't find the chocolate in the trash (and had taken it from him once before and put it BACK in the trash).  I put on gloves and dig through the trash.  No chocolate chunk to be found.  I remember I have some aqueous activated charcoal I bought in case of a pet or child being poisoned, so I get that out.  It comes in a tube like toothpaste and says "knead vigorously before using".  I knead vigorously only to have the BACK end of the tube split and the stuff squirts everywhere.  Using paper towels, I wipe it up, get an eye dropper, and start getting it out of the back end of the tube.  I give the dog five droppers full of the stuff, much to his dismay.

Earl gets home, we eat dinner (no class tonight because his paper is due this week).  I tell him of my adventures, we both stare at the dog.  I get online and research xylitol poisoning and notice dogs have died from small pieces of xylitol sweetened gum.  It causes massive hypoglycemia which can cause the liver/pancreas to fail.  So, my rational side says maybe he needs some sugar to counteract that effect.  I go get 1/4 cup of cane juice crystals and feed them to the dog who gives me more strange looks.  Earl and I give him six more droppersful of the charcoal.

Earl decides to go through the trash one more time.  And there, in the middle of some other stuff, is the whole hunk of chocolate that is NOT in the dog.  Yep.  So now I'm waiting to see if the dog is hyper tonight due to all the sugar I gave him.   ;D

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: I love my dog....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:26:58 AM »
Oh my goodness Cathy, you had me on the edge of my seat with your story. So glad your dog didn't get the chocolate and hope you were able to get some sleep last night. LOL I would imagine Buck was one hyper dog. LOL And all that charcoal. LOL He probably thinks you too have taken a dislike to him.  :D

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Poor Buck!  If that happened here, I probably would have thrown the dog into the car and sped off to the vet!  I am glad he is ok.

Mindy got a bit of chocolate last week and I got very worried, too even though it was a very small amount.  She only weights 12 pounds though so I had no idea how much it would take to make her sick.  We just sat and stared at her for an hour until we decided she was ok.  😄

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
At first I was worried about the chocolate, though I thought it might be enough to make him sick but not fatal. But then I remembered xylitol is poisonous to dogs, and that's when I got worried.  I was reading last night that it's 100 times as toxic as chocolate to dogs.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
Geez I deleted the laughing thing sorry wasn't trying to make light of it 💋

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
You didn't offend me, but all I could see was a bunch of squares.  :P  But you wouldn't have anyway.  It was pretty funny to me AFTER the fact.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
You didn't offend me, but all I could see was a bunch of squares.  :P  But you wouldn't have anyway.  It was pretty funny to me AFTER the fact.

:-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline wrancher

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
Soo funny. Years ago I remember my godparents feeding their poodle Fifi Hershey chocolate bars everyday!!

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
I'm glad your dog is okay.  I would've been worried too.

Oh, how I love my dog.  I was planning on having cubed steak for supper and had it out ready to cook.  Well, my daughter called and I turned my back for less than one minute and the dog got into the meat. >:(  Now we have one piece of meat for supper. ;D  It's all I had thawed so I'm just upping the vegetables!  It's a zoo around here some days.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
Glad he's okay.  I was laughing, because I figured by the title of your post that he must be fine.  :D

One time I was making tacos for dinner. I had the ground beef cooking in a pan on the stove.  I realized that it was getting dark out, so I shut the stove off and went outside to lock up the chickens.  I was gone for no more than ten minutes.  When I came back in the pan was empty on the floor, and Tessa was sitting nearby, trying not to look guilty.  Since the kids were in the next room and didn't hear a thing we figured that Tessa had grabbed the handle of the pan in her mouth and lifted it down from the stove.  We still love her, even though she ate better than we did that night. ::)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one with crazy pets!  :)  Life would sure be boring without them.