Author Topic: Teacher Gift Etiquette Question  (Read 2381 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Teacher Gift Etiquette Question
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
This is my first year to have a child in public middle school.  She has 7 classes with a total of 6 teachers (one of her teachers teaches two of her classes).  She also rides the bus and I'd like to do a little something for that lady.  What is the procedure with so many teachers for one child?  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  The other four kids have one teacher each, then the same music and PE teacher.  My hubby also is kind of skeptical about teacher gifts already--his logic is that they are doing a job they are paid for, just as he does, and people don't give him gifts for doing his job, so why should we do so for them.  I get where he is coming from but also know that these are people I'm trusting with my biggest treasures and that they tend to be underpaid for the job (in our state...I know some states pay better).

How do you do this?

Gifts I am currently working on, at least for the elementary: homemade knit dishcloths.  Also bought several clearanced Eco-bamboo flower pots and was thinking of starting some sort of herb or flower plant in them to have ready by Christmas time.

Offline Rooney

Re: Teacher Gift Etiquette Question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Hi Catherine. I can only tell you what my mother used to do about this.  In elementary school, you know the teacher well.  It is one teacher with like 30 kids all year long.  So my mom made a homemade gift, like a covered album that she decorated or something.  It was a small school and the parents knew each teacher and vice versa.  Middle school was a different story.  Now you are talking each teacher has like 30 students times 7 periods a day times 2 semesters, every year.  That's like over 400 kids a year!  Point being, much more impersonal situation.  So in middle and high school, she never sent me with teacher gifts.  The bus driver does see them everyday, so that might be someone to include.  If it stresses you (moneywise or otherwise) to have to buy for all of them, I personally wouldn't bother with it, because with so many students, they aren't likely to remember who gave them something and who didn't or what they even got.  Just something extra for an already busy mama to have to deal with IMHO.

By the way, love the new look, it really shows off your beautiful facial features! :)

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
I am kinda the same way as Lindsay. I make something (homemade vanilla, plaque, etc.) for elementary as they have a class party but I dont buy for computer, music, pe, library,etc. I also dont buy in middle school. I feel that is what most everyone else is doing. I think it gets to extreme with everyone trying to out do each other. I know I have heard from teachers some of their best gifts were notes from the students,

I LOVE your new look! Good for you! You look awesome!

Janice

Offline Cathie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:32:14 AM »
Cath ~

the bus driver I always give a gift too -- usually something $5 and under sometimes it is simply a homemade baked item sometimes it is a $5 gift card to a coffee shop - I never spend more then $5

as far as the loads of teacher thing - we have been dealing with this for 6 years now.  They get only baked goods and I ask the kids which teacher they want to give too.  It is sometimes all 7 sometimes it is only 1 or 2. 

on a side note one teacher that Sydney had specifically ask Jarod if she would be getting fudge for Christmas when she got him cause she liked the fudge so much.  And yes we gave her fudge last year and she was the only teacher he want to give something too. 

don't stress - it's not suppose to be stressful  ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing how you've done this or seen it done.  I will give it some thought and come up with some sort of plan.  :)

Thanks Janice and Rooney for the hair (or lack of) compliments.  It is sure easy, anyway.   :D

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Catherine I did the same as the other gals once my kids hit junior high with numerous teachers..... we didn't give gifts. The bus driver you see everyday from my personal experience  ;) once they hit junior/middle school I rarely receive anything from them and if so it's small like Cathy said and usually the child wanted to do it.

I'm with them, don't stress... I never expect anything and I'm sure the teachers are the same.

Love the hair too  :D

Laurie
Laurie
Many hands make light work