Author Topic: Christmas 2014  (Read 13065 times)

Offline Cathie

Re: Christmas 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
I always leave my in-laws till the last minute.  I'm hoping to find some things for them early this year.  What do you get for people who can afford anything they want?  I'm kind of thinking of gift cards for a night out (they are newly empty nesters) but it feels...I dunno... impersonal?

perhaps take pictures - one or two per month of your kids and make a nice album for them,  my inlaws have everything they need and my father in law loves this!

Offline wrancher

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
Shelly I give gift certificates to people who have everything. Like getting oil changed on my dads vehicle, massages with local people, a place they like to eat, movie tickets or tickets to an event like a hockey game tey might never go to alone. I try to keep money as local as possible and not give one more thing to clutter a house. A new place they might want to try and havent .

Janice

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
I always leave my in-laws till the last minute.  I'm hoping to find some things for them early this year.  What do you get for people who can afford anything they want?  I'm kind of thinking of gift cards for a night out (they are newly empty nesters) but it feels...I dunno... impersonal?

perhaps take pictures - one or two per month of your kids and make a nice album for them,  my inlaws have everything they need and my father in law loves this!

That's a great idea!  Thanks
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
Shelly I give gift certificates to people who have everything. Like getting oil changed on my dads vehicle, massages with local people, a place they like to eat, movie tickets or tickets to an event like a hockey game tey might never go to alone. I try to keep money as local as possible and not give one more thing to clutter a house. A new place they might want to try and havent .

Janice

hmmm That's a really good idea too.  Ideas...ideas...
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
So, I don't have an attic, no garage, no basement, and 1 closet in the entire house (in the dining room of all places)  If you were me, where would you hide gifts for the coming year?  i want to be frugal and buy things as I come across deals, but I am at a loss as to where to put them.  :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:58:20 AM by Shelly »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Do you have any in-laws near you, like maybe his parents? Can't remember if you said they lived close or not.   I used to keep mine at my parents but they just live right up the road.  This is becoming an issue for us too again, but this time not because of space, but nosy little snoopers looking for clues as to what they may be getting. ;)

You are so far ahead of me.  I did finally get the tree down Sunday. We always take it down the day after, but other things seemed to get in the way.  Now for it to make it to the box and the storage area.........sometime soon I hope. :)

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
I am so behind with Christmas this year. I have 2 gifts each for the kids so far. I will get them 1 more each tomorrow ( pay day). I think I have enough tissue paper, boxes and bags still from last year. I use them over and over until I can't use them anymore  :) . I put the gifts since there mostly small ( games, shavers, watches, wallets or those type of things) in a plastic bag and hang them between my clothing in the closet. I find it easier to find them at Christmas time. And the kids don't go through mom's clothings since there boys  ;D.
Maleesa

Offline wrancher

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
Sneaky idea of hiding the items between your hanging clothes. Love it! Might have to steal it. Watch me forget though!!

Janice

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »
I started my christmas shopping this week, actually.  I've got two of my nieces done (only 9 more to go :( ) and I've got Chad a few gifts. I buy one of those large tubs with the lid and I store the gifts in there.  All of my nieces love lip gloss. And all but one of them are under the age of ten. Walmart had these lip gloss sets that come with a little mirror and a little cosmetic bag for 2.50! They were on clearance and were 9.88. I bought the last two my walmart had. I'm going to get on line and see if they have any more to send to me.  They are cute little gift ideas for the girls. I got Chad a Cincinnati Bengals shirt that was brand new with the tags on ebay for 10 dollars. Its a more expensive brand and would have cost a little over 40 new. So I think I got a good deal on that! I buy pickles by the gallon jar at sams club. And I save them. I turned 3 of them into a canister set for my mom for christmas. I painted the lid black, put homespun around the middle of the jar, tied it and added a prim hang tag on each canister that has a rooster on it. Her kitchen is decorated with roosters. I think they look really nice. I made myself a set. But my hang tags have gingerbread men on them. I store popcorn, rice and nesquik in my 3. I am going to buy a cheap set of scoops to add to each canister for her. Yankee candle has been having online sales of 50 % off of their jar candles, tarts,etc. I bought tarts for .50 each!  (but those were for myself ;) I plan to grab a few jar candles for my mother in law and another for my mom and sister before the deal expires.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:10 AM »
Sneaky idea of hiding the items between your hanging clothes. Love it! Might have to steal it. Watch me forget though!!

Janice

No at Christmas you will be going between clothing going this is a pain in the butt. But hid good LOL.
Maleesa

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »
So, I don't have an attic, no garage, no basement, and 1 closet in the entire house (in the dining room of all places)  If you were me, where would you hide gifts for the coming year?  i want to be frugal and buy things as I come across deals, but I am at a loss as to where to put them.  :(

I know how you feel, Shelly.  In this old house, we have zero storage!  Our attic is inaccessible, we don't have a garage or basement, and we have 2 closets.  One (in the room we use for homeschooling) is stuffed full to the point you have to be careful opening the door :o and the other is shared by the 3 of us and is in Emily's bedroom, so that would never work for hiding anything!  I have hidden things short-term in my clothes dryer.  I never use it and I don't think my family would have any reason to look inside. ;D

I have not bought one thing for Christmas.  I don't know what to get anyone this year.  Emily is 10 and the gifts she's mentioned are the more expensive types.  I'll keep my eyes open for ideas.  Last year I thought for sure I was going to be more prepared but that didn't happen.   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »
We have a sideboard/buffet in our office that holds all of my scrapbooks and scrapbooking supplies, and that's typically where I hide gifts.  Anything bigger goes in my closet (also in the office).

I bought my first gifts yesterday!  Four pairs of socks for Jean (he's into quirky/fun socks lately), and a bag of treats for Grimm  ;D.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
Mandy, I love socks as gifts!  And you can't go wrong buying gifts for pets.  Mine never complain about anything! ;D
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
We have a sideboard/buffet in our office that holds all of my scrapbooks and scrapbooking supplies, and that's typically where I hide gifts.  Anything bigger goes in my closet (also in the office).

I bought my first gifts yesterday!  Four pairs of socks for Jean (he's into quirky/fun socks lately), and a bag of treats for Grimm  ;D.

Mandy

Mandy, I thought of you the other day when I was online shopping at Kohls.  They had "Big Bang Theory" socks.  Wasn't it you that liked that show so much? (maybe not, just going by memory) They were in the women's section though, but maybe an early gift for you? ;)  Can't buy too many of those. :)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
I checked my my homemade vanilla today.  Its almost ready!  I ordered the amber bottles and droppers from Azure Standard to bottle it up for Christmas gifts.