Author Topic: Christmas 2014  (Read 13070 times)

Offline Cheryl

Re: Christmas 2014
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
Where did you buy the vanilla beans?

I love the idea of homemade vanilla as a gift!   :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:31 AM »

Mandy, I thought of you the other day when I was online shopping at Kohls.  They had "Big Bang Theory" socks.  Wasn't it you that liked that show so much? (maybe not, just going by memory) They were in the women's section though, but maybe an early gift for you? ;)  Can't buy too many of those. :)

Ah!  Yes, Jean and I both love that show.  I might have to check them out.  Thank you!

I'm actually in pretty decent shape with Christmas planning/buying, considering that it's August!  I have ideas for almost all 12 days of Jean's '12 Days of Christmas' and his regular Christmas morning gifts, and I even have some of the items already bought.  I have several ideas for my nieces this year as well.  I've also been collecting/saving gift cards and credit card rewards, and we cashed in all of our change for an Amazon gift card, so buying the rest shouldn't be too much out of pocket.  Woohoo!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »

I got them from Olive Nation...  http://www.olivenation.com/Bourbon-Madagascar-Vanilla-Beans-P84C54.aspx

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

I got them from Olive Nation...  http://www.olivenation.com/Bourbon-Madagascar-Vanilla-Beans-P84C54.aspx

Thank you!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cathie

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »
You guys are moving right along!

This week I bought 3 frames at the university where Sydney will be attending - 2 will be given to the Grandparents as Christmas presents and we will print a photo of her and put it in there.  The other will be saved to hold her diploma from there I think  ;) --- 90% off the frames

Bought my niece a very nice sweater from Banana Republic --- 90% off

I need to sit down and see what I have - what I need and who I am buying for --- I have not gotten that far in my brain yet  ;D

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
Very proud of all of you for getting the head start on Christmas shopping. I have nothing done and probably won't this year. I think this will be the year of gift cards or cash. Just don't have the time nor energy to work on stuff. You all are a great encouragement to each other.  ;D
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »
I ordered two gifts the other day - one for Doug's aunt and one for Ed.  I plan on trying to get something every payday plus then I will also have the money Doug's work gives us if we have our annual physicals.  I think we should be in pretty good shape if I follow my plan.

Denise

Mandy - Doug and I LOVE the Big Bang Theory, too!

Offline lovin my dogs

• Me and Grayson
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Add Jon and I to the list that LOVES Big Bang Theory!!!  We watch an episode almost each night on tbs.  Just love it!!

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
We watch an episode almost each night on tbs.  Just love it!!

Me too :)  I just take the iPad into bed with me and watch while Jean catches up on his DVR'ed shows out in the living room ;D
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
I love it, too! Love Sheldon!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
Erica how do you know when your vanilla is ready? I have some made just not sure how to tell when it's done  ::)

Laurie
Laurie
Many hands make light work

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 08:24:59 AM »
I have gotten two things for Doug and one for Molly.  I might as well Christmas shop if I am stuck in bed!  😊

Denise

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I buy my vanilla beans from the same site Erica linked to.

Laurie,  I leave my beans in the vodka for 6 months before I use it. It gets darker over time and I shake and swirl it a couple times a week. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong  time to start using it but the longer you leave the beans steeping in the vodka, the stronger vanilla flavor you will have.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
Erica how do you know when your vanilla is ready? I have some made just not sure how to tell when it's done  ::)

Laurie

I missed this, Laurie.. Like Beth said below.. about 6 months seems standard "steeping" time  ;)

Offline sbdriver

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
Thank you Beth and Erica  :) I be thinking mine is done now then since it's been sitting there for a year  :o  :o  :o  lol Mine should be good and strong then  ;)
Laurie
Many hands make light work