Author Topic: Monday, January 6th, 2014  (Read 3061 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Monday, January 6th, 2014
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:58 AM »
Good morning!

Seems so weird to type 2014, and yet we're 6 days in!

It's 10 out right now before windchill.  Not at all cold compared to you ladies up north, but my elderly (11 YO) dog did not appreciate going out to potty this morning.  Poor girl was moving slow on her way in this morning.  One school district up in OKC cancelled school...no snow, just because it's chilly, pretty ridiculous!

Got my workout and breakfast done.  I've been doing light exercise here and there and have been more motivated since getting the fitbit for my birthday.  But, I knew I needed some consistent workouts and weight training, so dug out Chalean Extreme since I've had good success with it in the past.  Earl is doing it with me, not thrilled, but willingly, anyway.  I'm not thrilled either, at 5 AM, but I feel good afterward.

The boys spent the night at our friends' house so it's just me and the girls home today.  I have a co-op teacher's meeting at 12:30 and plan to run an errand while out, but be home other than that.  We need to make Micah's b-day cake for tomorrow.

Earl starts his new semester tonight so has class 6-10.  Sometimes he gets out early the first night, but it all depends on the professor so we'll see.

Dinner was supposed to be chili, but I forgot the beans last night.  Either need to do a quick soak this morning and or swap tonight's meal out with another one on my plan...will decide that shortly.

Have a great day!
Catherine

Offline Proudmama

Re: Monday, January 6th, 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »
Hello everyone!

It seems like it was just yesterday that I was wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and starting on my break.  I can't believe it is over already!  Time went so quickly.

We had a very nice holiday season and even got a surprise day off on Friday because of snow.  The girls are back at school today and Doug went back to work, too.  Zachary goes back to school tomorrow and we will be taking Corey back on Sunday.  He is switching dorm rooms so we will need to help him set all of that up as well.

Things are going to be very busy this week which isn't my favorite!  Doug took my van today because it may be icy later this afternoon and it drives much better than his truck.  If the weather doesn't get bad, Madelyn has her audition for the musical this evening. Molly is in the musical at her school and I believe she has rehearsal Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.  We still have to take down the Christmas decorations, too.  I miss vacation!

My aunt has not been well for the past few months and is currently in a rehabilitation center receiving physical and occupational therapy.  She cannot even stand on her own right now and is also very confused and depressed.  She just wants to go home, the poor thing.  She is 85 years old and I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever considered her to be old.  I hope to be able to visit her one day this week.

Tonight we are having dinner all together since Zachary will be going back to school tomorrow.  He is not sure if he is coming home for spring break and may not be home for Easter so it may be May before we see him.  Makes me very sad!

I always have a bit of difficulty when Doug and the kids go back after a long break so I will be easing back into things today.  I threw one load of wash in earlier this morning and will hang that up in a bit.  I also need to clean up the kitchen, fold some sheets, switch out the bathroom towels, wash the kitchen linens, get dinner started, make a few phone calls and organize my calendar for January.  I will also start to take the ornaments off the tree and maybe put a few other things away as well.

Dinner tonight is pork chops in the crockpot with some onion gravy, baked sweet potatoes and peas.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Denise

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »
Good Mornng

BRRR -35 windchill!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
Good Mornng

BRRR -35 windchill!

That makes my bones ache to think about!  :P  I've been in OK too long.

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »
Good morning ladies!  it's 2 w/ windchills of -22...it's expected to drop more as the day goes on...

Janice, goodness!!   Ohio is not to far behind you today & tomorrow only though!!!  stay safe!!

Hi Catherine and Denise!

We are tucked in our home today and not leaving!  Dh just got in from work now I can enjoy my coffee!  Daisy isn't liking going out either and has her pretty pink sweater on through this cold spell!

Our woodstove is burning hot, I keep it up through the night and thankful for it! 

Today is leftover meatloaf and i'm thinking of a small batch of soup to add to it. 

Stay warm and safe friends, i'm going to do some cleaning and i'll be free to do some sewing projects...take care!
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:43:57 AM »
We have wind chills of -29 here is West Michigan!  Tons of snow last night too.  Pretty much everything is shut down throughout the state because of the weather. 

Everyone is home today, and I don't see us going anywhere since the roads are so bad.  Dh can work from home, so I am grateful for that!  My three boys (24, 20, 17) are getting to that point of "we have spent too much time together", but hopefully we can move through the day relatively cheerfully! 

It has been a time of adjustment for us.  Our oldest just moved back from Myrtle Beach for a few months.  He has taken a position as an assistant coach/pitching coach at a local College here.  When the season is over, he will be moving back to SC to coach a College level summer team.  He needed the coaching credential to be able to take the summer job.  He has always been less than excited about winters in MI, so for us to have one of the worst in recent history probably has confirmed his desire to live elsewhere for the rest of his life!  His girlfriend is suppose to fly in tomorrow to visit.  She is so excited to see snow, and wonders why we don't go out and make snow angels every time we get a snowstorm!  She may be in for quite an education!  It feels a lot different than what it looks like in movies!   ;)

Not sure we will get much productive done today.  Probably just hunker down in a warm blanket with a book or some movies.  I got all of the laundry done over the weekend, and most of the general cleaning is caught up, so I guess taking a snow day is okay!

Dinner here is chicken stir fry and rice. Hope everyone has a great day!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
The kids had school today so we said if car starts they could go but they called as soon as they got there. It is suppose to be nice tomorrow. Today is clean up this house!! I have laundry and dishes started but that will keep going. I will run DH back to Dr today as he wants to get MRI on his shoulder as it is still hurting. He has been doing chores but limited. It was soo nice having the kids help with chores. DD is home from college till Sunday, THANK HEAVENS!! I need my house clean and bookwork done. The trees are down but we need to put everything away. ugh I hate that part. Everything goes under stairs and if I had that room all clean I would feel better. I think I will bite the bullet and buy shelving unit and more totes so I could get organized. That is the only way to make that work and I am just to tight but cant stand the disorganization so this weekend when I go to DD bball tourney I will get what I need. I need to get some files and stuff ordered today so better hop to it.

Have a great day

Janice

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »
It is a beautiful sunny day here in the Pacific Northwest. Should be about 35 degrees today.  I really can't imagine the cold some of you are experiencing...I pray you keep warm and safe.

We are having trouble transitioning from a month of no school, college kids home, holiday mode to our regular daily schedule.  Kids are still staying up late and dragging in the morning.  Well, me too actually.  I have a hard time waking children up when the house is so peaceful in the morning.  But today is the day the school books come out and we get back into it. The tree came down yesterday and one daughter headed back to college.

Later we have a 4H meeting at the fairgrounds.  The kids will be bringing their goats so we have a little grooming to do out in the barn before we go.  I need to have dinner made early and I'm struggling in that department.  Just tired of our usual meals and a little burned out on cooking. 

Have a blessed day!

Molly
homesteading on Whidbey Island, Wa with family of 10

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Good Mornng

BRRR -35 windchill!

We are close with a -20 windchill.  We aren't used to this here though.  Have been up all night trying to keep pipes from freezing.  Didn't work they busted anyway at about 6:00 this morning and we are still trying to repair them.  To tell you how cold it is, the pipe that busted is in a basement is close to the woodburner  Oh and it just happen to bust on the firewood. :P  DH had to go to the next city over to get the parts and he still hasn't made it back.  I am thankful it is warm in here though.  Everyone in this weather stay warm today and out of it if you can.  We won't be going anywhere, just trying to stay toasty. :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
We're in the same boat, Lindsay.  My husband has just got back with parts to repair our pipes.  It's one thing after another around here.  First his hours were cut back to 30/week, last night he woke up with pain from a kidney stone, and now the pipes.   :(

But we will make it.  We have food, shelter, and each other.  We are blessed in a lot of ways.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
We're in the same boat, Lindsay.  My husband has just got back with parts to repair our pipes.  It's one thing after another around here.  First his hours were cut back to 30/week, last night he woke up with pain from a kidney stone, and now the pipes.   :(

But we will make it.  We have food, shelter, and each other.  We are blessed in a lot of ways.

DH just got our pipes fixed Cheryl.  I am afraid since the temperature and wind will be even worse tonight that it may happen again. :P  We will be pulling an all nighter again tonight just in case.  DH said he bought extra parts in case it did happen again.  Like you I am thankful to just be warm and for the firewood. I feel sorry for those that are having trouble keeping warm because these temps coupled with the wind are just so dangerous.

I hope that your pipes get fixed soon too.  Let us know how it goes. :)

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Good luck tonight!

My husband is gone again.  He found another part he needs.  He had bought extra of everything he thought he needed. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
Broken pipes -- what a nightmare!

Have you tried to leave a few faucets on a slight trickle all the time?  One other thing you can try, is to turn the water off, and then run the faucets until dry.  -- maybe before going to bed when you won't be needing water.
Good luck!  Glad you both have hubbies that can do some of the repairs!
Stay warm!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
We left faucets running in the kitchen and in the bathroom sink.  Our pipes froze at the tub. I guess tonight we'll be leaving all faucets on a little.  I'm crossing my fingers my husband has it fixed.  He's putting it all back together now.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn